GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
To get back to the OP's question.
I think it has been established the warranty follows the VIN. Not the owner. No worries having warranty work done for any new owners.

That being said, whenever I purchase a used Goldwing (there have been 4) I go to my favorite local Honda dealer and they update me as the owner of record for this VIN. This way I get any recall notices. My Goldwings have only been to a dealer for recalls, tire changes, and one valve check (I'm getting lazy in my old age).

My 2018 SCT has the dreaded HSA flashing light. The dealer has a 10 day backlog. I purchased the extended warranty. I am going to a dealer I have never been to before. Only because they are 10 minutes from my house vs my favorite dealer who is on the other side of Denver (think an hour of traffic each way). Fingers crossed.

So, not a bad thing to have a dealer put your owner information in their system so you get recall notices.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I can understand having to wait for a service appointment for local bikes. The good dealers will try to fit people who are traveling in for any service if possible. Example if you are traveling from coast to coast don’t just show up and expect service, call ahead.
How do ya call ahead when your motor suddenly eats itself?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Its disappointing to read that the 2021 models are still suffering from the HSA failures ....was hoping Honda would had worked that issue out...but it seems Honda would rather replace a 15 dollar switch every time instead of fiquring out and fixing the reason the issue is happening in the first place.
Someone clue me in, what is HSA?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hill Start Assist.
I knew that! HA! Had a brain freeze, I never pay much attention to it, sometimes I see the light is on and some time it isn't.
Never noticed if it has or has'nt helped me on a hill.
Thanks for answering my clueless question.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I knew that! HA! Had a brain freeze, I never pay much attention to it, sometimes I see the light is on and some time it isn't.
Never noticed if it has or has'nt helped me on a hill.
Thanks for answering my clueless question.
You will notice it when and if it fails. The light blinks very rapidly and doesnt stop

·
Premium Member
19,614 Posts
ABM (ALL BIKES MATTER)
I stick by my FIFO. (First In First Out)
This is how I do business.
But then again I treat all people equally.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
1,568 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
What is Hill Start Assist for? Even with DCT, don’t you just release the brake as you pull away? With a manual, you’ve got to release the clutch anyway - seems like HSA would just change how you calibrate that release. It became necessary in cars when they replaced the handbrake with an E-brake thing that’s either on or off, but I don’t see the purpose here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ah, for all the first-time riders on Goldwings, then. Must have been added by the linked-brakes team in their free time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 6sp non tour
73 Posts
In these crazy times, I'd never tell a repair shop you're in no hurry to get your repair done. You might be able to buy a 2030 Wing before they get to your bike
Hi Spummerr, I take your point and know what you mean. My point was (to the dealer) that I didn’t want them rushing to get my bike in, rushing to get a quick ‘fix’ on it and rushing to get it back to me BECAUSE I wanted it doing right, just the once, if you know what I mean.

There’s plenty of horror stories on here with bikes going in and out of dealers on a ‘merry-go-round’.

Also (having worked in Public Service for a long time) I know what it’s like when you have a really pushy customer on you. Just ruins your day. I don’t want to be ’that guy’. I’m retired now so not having my bike for a week or two wasn’t a biggie.

My dealer did a great job, my bike was transported there & back carefully and there’s not a mark on it. I have looked. Trust me.

As an aside, over here many of our big supermarkets have empty shelves and stock shortages due to lack of truck drivers, people off work with Covid quarantine, factories not being on full production so this disruption is literally everywhere. Speaking to the Honda (collection & delivery) man he said they still have a huge backlog of new bike orders that have not even come in! They just cannot get the bikes. It’s the same in Europe. All competing for the same small pool of stock. I don’t know but would guess that there’s probably only one or two new Goldwings available to buy in the whole Country. There might even be none.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,340 Posts
It holds the rear brake on for up to 5 seconds to keep the bike from rolling backwards as the rider lets out the clutch.

Pretty useless for any rider that knows how to ride.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I used to think like that too at first..but when you take the time to learn how to use the HSA..and it does take a bit of practice to learn how to activate it exactly when you want it...it is pretty useful on hills, especially when riding two up.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I used to think like that too at first..but when you take the time to learn how to use the HSA..and it does take a bit of practice to learn how to activate it exactly when you want it...it is pretty useful on hills, especially when riding two up.
I would agree, It as been useful a time or 2. Especially 2-up. Like ABS it does not work until you ride the bike so many yards. If you try to activate it right after start up, like on my sloped driveway, it doesn't work.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts