GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last evening I went out to the bike to put on the cover and noticed my ignition switch was lit up. This was about 4 hours after I parked the bike. The dash lights were not on and neither was the big screen. I did not have the fob on me at the time. Up until this week I've kept the bike in my garage and the fob has always been in the storage cubby. I've never noticed the ignition switch being illuminated before. I had to relocate the bike to a site outside the garage for the winter months and I removed the fob from the cubby and placed it with my other vehicle keys on a rack that is about 6' away (indoors) from the front wheel of the bike (outdoors).

I'm confused about the significance of the illuminated ignition switch and couldn't find anything in the owner's manual about it. Is the bike not shut down if the switch is lit up? Is there a danger of battery run down? I have never used the buttons on the fob but I might have inadvertently touched one while the fob was in my pocket or hanging it on my key rack.

Seems funny that the switch never gave me any concerns with the key stored in the cubby. I moved the fob from the key rack to a place a few feet farther away and the light went off but it's still only about 10' from the bike.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I assume this an 18 or 19 Goldwing?
If you mean the a white light around the off on switch, that lights up when the fob is brought near the bike. Hanging the fob 6 feet away might be close enough to light it up.
You might try moving the fob far away and see if it is out. Then carry it in again to see if it is on.

·
Registered
482 Posts
It does light up when the fob comes near. but only stays on a little while... you could turn the fob off..

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. In the past few minutes I've been conducting some experiments to try and understand this. The illumination of the fob does seem to be related to the fob being within a certain range of the bike, although I do not remember the switch being lit when the fob was actually being stored in the cubby.

Simply shaking the bike or working the switches would not bring on the ignition switch light. Walking up to the bike with the fob does bring it on and it remains on when the fob is within a certain distance. Moving the fob back inside within about 6' the switch remains lit but the bike will not start, which is comforting. I could also force the light in the switch to turn on by pressing the logo button on the fob. I still don't know how much battery depletion takes place with the ignition switch light is on. I presume the light itself has little draw but I don't really know for sure.

I think I must have touched the Honda logo button on the fob while in the house which forced the light on in the switch and since the fob was only 6' away the light remained on until I relocated it farther away. I guess this never happened before when the bike was permanently stored in the cubby because I never pressed any fob buttons in that situation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts