GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase an Ipod Interface for my 09 Wing. I was ready to purchase the Soundgate, but after reading several posts and reviews there are a lot of negative responses. I then looked at J&M's, but again a lot of negatives. I then moved to the Grom audio, but have not found a lot of reviews. I was then led to Electrical Connections web site but not sure who makes it and few reviews, looks like a Grom product by the picture. WHICH ONE SHOULD I BUY???? :shrug: I don't like using the Aux input as it doesn't charge the Ipod and no control. I ran power to the fairing pocket on my 05 but there was electrical noise when connected to the Ipod using a cigarette lighter adapter.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Look at Bikemp3.com

·
Registered
528 Posts
I am personally happy with the Soundgate.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have been looking for a interface myself can't seem to find anything decent. I also get a humming noise only when my iphone is charging. For me its not that bad i just made sure my unit is charged prior to using it. I have nice cradle mount made by Ram hooked to the aux as you do. I believe it are best option right now. I do remember reading about some ways of putting a filter inline to stop the humming noise, do a search you may find it. If you do find a good interface be sure to let us know. Good luck.:bow:

·
Registered
172 Posts
I am looking to purchase an Ipod Interface for my 09 Wing. I was ready to purchase the Soundgate, but after reading several posts and reviews there are a lot of negative responses. I then looked at J&M's, but again a lot of negatives. I then moved to the Grom audio, but have not found a lot of reviews. I was then led to Electrical Connections web site but not sure who makes it and few reviews, looks like a Grom product by the picture. WHICH ONE SHOULD I BUY???? :shrug: I don't like using the Aux input as it doesn't charge the Ipod and no control. I ran power to the fairing pocket on my 05 but there was electrical noise when connected to the Ipod using a cigarette lighter adapter.
I'm not sure I understand the problem. (I am new in these parts).
My 2012 has a USB connection in the trunk. I plug that into my ipod and all my ipod stuff appears on my bike's screen. Is that not the case with prior years, or is there more to it?

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
The one from Electrical Connection (EC) is made by them. Lewis and company make just about all of the products they sell. And they stand behind them and they're there if you have questions.

If it were me, I would get the one from E/C. Then again, the Bike MP3 is an excellent option.

Depending on which iPod you have, the Bike MP3 might even be a better solution. If your iPod has a hard drive, you run the risk of "skipping." If it's solid state, then you shouldn't have any issues.

·
Registered
512 Posts
2012s give you the options were looking for. All the other units are pretty basic just numbers that play mp3s. Myself i would like to the same display as my iphone in the interface.:agree:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My 2012 has a USB connection in the trunk. I plug that into my ipod and all my ipod stuff appears on my bike's screen. Is that not the case with prior years, or is there more to it?
That is the one advantage to the 2012! No USB connection on the older models but it wasn't worth the extra $6,000 + over the new 09 I bought.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Welcome Hollow Road Rider!

You are correct that your bike has a USB connection in the trunk. This is a new development on the 2012. The older bikes ahve an 1/8" stereo adapter that resides in the forward left pocket. The problem with it is that it doesn't charge the ipod without a 12v connector and a transformer. This sets up a hum unless there are filters or isolators installed in the line.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts