GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Confused is the way to describe it. Rode a new Hannigan at a dealer, but only on smooth, pretty good highway-Rode nice. The Hannigan at Wing Ding was an '02 I believe-pretty rough ride. Why didn't they have any newer? Rode a new Roadsmith and Trike Shop at Davis Rally-both rode nice, but no tight curves or much for bumps. Also rode a friends CSC, an '06, over same road as the Roadsmith and Trike Shop-pretty much same ride. Talked to a couple of people owning solid axle Lehman, they both said they liked the solid axle best for performance, but it did ride rougher in bumps. I think they liked the performance part better than ride quality. CSC is the closest dealer to me with what I know is a very good reputation-still couple hours away. Seems like Roadsmith rode the best, but looks like more electronics in the suspension to worry about. I know alot of people have said to find a dealer with very good reputation-that weighs alot in the decision. Would a current CSC conversion have the bugs worked out of the driveshaft issues?

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
You must satisfy yourself w/the brand and the installer.
I will tell you this. Wife and I rode about all the conversions available last year on both Wings and Harleys(including a Tri-Glide, so I would have factory warranty).
The Wing/Hannigan won by a wide margin. I choose an installer that was 5hrs from me. Had several(only one Hannigan installer) much closer but, could never made the "deal" with any of them. MSRP and no discounts at the locals. One acted like he would be doing me a favor by doing my install. He got scratched off the list first!
The longer wheel base got the wheels out from under my wife and she was the one that said, "This one's the one, isn't it?"
The Hannigan IRS is the smoothest w/the least complexity and service requirements I found.
The claim on solid axle models vs. IRS models is the Solids will corner faster/flatter. IRS models ride smoother.
Don't care about the faster/flatter cornering ability but, do care about smooth! I can corner my Hannigan faster than a Wing 2 wheeler can corner and that's way more than I need to do!
It seems almost all the IRS brands have had several issues listed on this board and others far out weighing only 2 complaints I have seen about Hannigans.
Don't forget a rake kit for the forks. Also, FYI, I am running the OEM springs in my forks w/the ADV shimmed and my trike rides great! Currently 26K on the bike, 6K on the Hannigan. All fluids were changed when kit was installed.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Probably will get flamed for this, but I feel the installer is far more important than the brand. I ride a Champion solid axle, friend rides a solid axle Hannigan, another friend rides a solid axle Road Smith and we all like our trikes just fine. I have never ridden a IRS trike so cannot tell the difference between the solid axle and the IRS.

Been reading a lot about problems with CSC IRS on this forum, but it is little interest to me as I do not have one.

Past Sunday, I rode on some very rough roads in Central Texas. Although rather bumpy in places, I survived without difficulty. Those who rode with me on two wheels had no problem either.

Like DD said, I too can corner sharper and tighter than any 2 wheeler. I have just over 38,000 miles on my trike and now that I got all of the bugs out (crappy installler I think - bought the trike used) I am having no problems. I am anal about preventive maintenance and that keeps the trike running smoothly.

Look long and hard for an installer with a great reputation. That will pay major dividends.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Well Sir, as you might guess, I really do like my RoadSmith. If I had aught against it, I guarantee you I would tell you. But since February and over 5000 miles, I do not find anything at all of any kind of substance to complain about. Ours is IRS. It is really comfortable and smooth and with the 5.5 degree rake kit, it handles very well. I'm not certain what electronics for the suspension you are talking about unless you refer to the new suspension system that I've only heard about. Mine does not have that, and the design and engineering of what I've got was part of what sold me on the kit.

I personally believe you'd have to go far to beat the RoadSmith conversion. I agree that the Hannigan is a great kit, and I understand that others have other brands that they know and like. There are some definite differences in looks between the kits, and that's a very personal thing. Very little in the way of maintenance and routine use replacement items on the RoadSmith cannot be purchased at any good parts counter. I like that. It would be very very difficult for me to purchase a CSC right now, of any year or body model. Our previous trike was a CSC solid axle on a GL 1500 and we loved it ... no problems with it, and none for the previous owner who was a friend. There is just to much question mark in my mind to be comfortable with it. Foks love their Champions, but I continue to hear of issues with getting and keeping the rear wheels/tires standing up straight and with the suspension parts.

I love being able to get on mine and ride yonder without concern about these issues. Yep, mine could fail at any time, as can anything mechanical. But outside of a complaint about the trunk hinges, I just don't recall anybody fussing about anything about the RoadSmith. I sure don't have any complaints.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have a 05wing with 06 CSC Cobra. And yes there has been alot of concerns posted about them. Mainly driveshafts. I like my trike. It rides very nice. Problems?? Not really. A good installer is the first key, second is maintenance. I have become very familiar with this kit being so anal about maintenance. I believe that a half decent wrench can do most things on any kit. Most everything that has been complained about on the CSC I have found can be worked on. IRS suspensions are more complicated, and thus require more maintenance. As for the can't get parts easily, The hardest part to find for me is the GL1500 yokes. But a decent machine shop or driveline service can remedy that. Wheel bearings are a bolt on installation and are available from many sources (GM application). Ride them all then find a dealer that is reputable. If you aren't going to do the maintenance yourself I recommend getting something that has service available to you. It can be harder to work on the Bike portion of the trike. Then enjoy it and keep up on the maintenance.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
This is a photo of my buddies 05 Solod Axle Hannigan. If you like the picture, I took it a
nd did a bit of photoshop on it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
IRS Roadsmith

Roadsmith never made a solid axel. They have all been IRS. Love mine. Very happy with the product and the installer.

Have a great day & hope you like what you eventually pick. :thumbup:

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have a 05wing with 06 CSC Cobra. And yes there has been alot of concerns posted about them. Mainly driveshafts. I like my trike. It rides very nice. Problems?? Not really. A good installer is the first key, second is maintenance. I have become very familiar with this kit being so anal about maintenance. I believe that a half decent wrench can do most things on any kit. Most everything that has been complained about on the CSC I have found can be worked on. IRS suspensions are more complicated, and thus require more maintenance. As for the can't get parts easily, The hardest part to find for me is the GL1500 yokes. But a decent machine shop or driveline service can remedy that. Wheel bearings are a bolt on installation and are available from many sources (GM application). Ride them all then find a dealer that is reputable. If you aren't going to do the maintenance yourself I recommend getting something that has service available to you. It can be harder to work on the Bike portion of the trike. Then enjoy it and keep up on the maintenance.
There is a great deal of truth in what lectric says here (and I don't mean that some of what he says is not the truth ... I mean I'm sayin' we all need to pay attention to his advice!). It's important to at least be familiar with how your trike is constructed and what items require regular attention and maintenance. If you are not capable of doing it yourself, you need to be best friends with your installer/mechanic and have a lot of trust and confidence in them. We all tend to want to just get on and ride ... same thing applies to the Wing these kits are installed on ... they require some regular attention and maintenance to give trouble free service.

And anything can have a mechanical problem, even when new. I've bought bearings that were not good out of the box. It just happens ... Take the time to really get acquainted with the different options available. Ride as many as you can. Talk to as many owners as you can, keeping in mind that all of us are likely to either be totally disgusted or really positive about what we ride! Important things that you should notice are those that come up regularly in conversations and reading here on this forum and others. Your machine needs to fit you (and your passenger). You need to be comfortable on it (both of you!). And you need to have confidence in it so you can leave and go yonder without a frown on your brow!! A big part of that depends on your willingness to get down on the ground and really closely check your machine over very regularly, especially before a long trip. And for me, it depends on keeping accurate records of maintenance performed as detailed in my owner's manual. That does not necessarily guarantee anything, but I know I've done all I can do, and I know that nothing is about to fall off! And I know that the machine has been properly lubricated and serviced. Beyond that, none of us can do much better!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Confused is the way to describe it. Rode a new Hannigan at a dealer, but only on smooth, pretty good highway-Rode nice. The Hannigan at Wing Ding was an '02 I believe-pretty rough ride. Why didn't they have any newer? Rode a new Roadsmith and Trike Shop at Davis Rally-both rode nice, but no tight curves or much for bumps. Also rode a friends CSC, an '06, over same road as the Roadsmith and Trike Shop-pretty much same ride. Talked to a couple of people owning solid axle Lehman, they both said they liked the solid axle best for performance, but it did ride rougher in bumps. I think they liked the performance part better than ride quality. CSC is the closest dealer to me with what I know is a very good reputation-still couple hours away. Seems like Roadsmith rode the best, but looks like more electronics in the suspension to worry about. I know alot of people have said to find a dealer with very good reputation-that weighs alot in the decision. Would a current CSC conversion have the bugs worked out of the driveshaft issues?
You seem to be really concerned about how the trike performs, which is true for most trying to choose. But, after people get a trike, the big concern is reliability, and lack of problems. Mostly, they no longer worry if there was a better choice for performance. No problems generally equals a happy owner, regardless of brand.

So that's why people tend to emphasize the installer over all other things. Pick a skilled one, and you're less likely to have a problem. Pick a customer oriented one, and you're more likely to get a good resolution if you do have a problem.

I made the unusual choice of a DFT. It's simple in construction, has a good reputation for reliability, and rides well, in spite of the stock wheelbase, because the independent rear suspension has unusually long travel. I ride mostly one up. The driveshaft attachment is strong, it's all stock Honda. Many consider the styling too plain, but it really has a small market share because it's substantially more expensive. I chose it because I wanted to self install, which limited my choices, and I liked the engineering.

Like everyone else without problems, I'm happy with my choice. Pick your installer very carefully, and you probably will be too.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I agree with what several have said about the installer being a big part of the process and a good outcome.

I only tried 2 different kits, Hannigan and the CSC. The Hannigan was to "darty" for my likes. I probably could have gotten used used to it. Both had the "rake" installed. Most say the Hannigan rides better than any other kit but do not remember a big difference in the ride quality. Also liked the way the aux fuel tank works on the CSC.

Have had no issues with the the kit but who knows what the future holds. I have noticed that this forum seems to have more reported drive shaft issues than the other ones I monitor.

If u have a good installer, don't think u can go bad on any of them. I would recommend that u make a list of the features u want and go from there. Another issue could be the distance from the installer. There can be lemons in any man made machine.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all for replying!! The CSC dealer will take snowmobiles in on trade and that helps the equation. They are a dealer that has been in the bussiness for quite awhile and have done alot of conversions. I have talked to customers from there and gotten possitive responses. Just wish they were closer to home base.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I skipped over dealers that are closer to me to drive 4 hours for my CSC. I am very pleased with it but everyone is pleased with their particular conversion.
Ride as many as you can and then decide. To me the big factor is the independent suspension. Also, figure in some extra for a Tom Simmons seat and you will have a winner!!
You will get almost as many answers on this thread as you will by asking what oil is best!!! Good luck.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Parrothead,
I remember being in the place you are now after trying to decide which trike would be the right one for us. It is a daunting task because of the amount of money involved. My words of advice to you are:
A. Understand clearly what your needs are, and what the needs of your SO are. Make a list of your criteria for your trike
B. Determine if you want a Factory trike(H-D or Can-Am) or a conversion kit trike(Gold Wing and a number of M/Cs)
If you opt for a conversion:
1. The INSTALLER is the most important element in the trike experience
2. The reality of the economy is that installers go out of business. Look to see where your alternate installer is located.
3. Research which trikes:
a. have been "plagued" with problems vs. "trouble free"
b. what the trikes maintenance requirements are
c. manufacturer's customer service response
4. Realize that the marketplace is moving towards the IRS based trikes.
I hope this helps
Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts