GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading all the posts on the front suspensions faults and how to go about upgrading it and wheather or not to undue the dive valve, I came to the conclusion that I am back where I started from. Confused.
I do a lot of 2 up riding and after 40 years in the saddle I can carve a corner or two but I never really found fault with the stock set up.
I sprung a left fork seal leak and so now is the time for a decision as to how much do I want to spend. Somebody convince me, please.

·
Registered
581 Posts
My vote goes to upgrading to the Race Tech springs and emulators. It's a great upgrade for a fairly low price, maybe $275.00. Also, consider rebuilding the forks with new bushings, seals, rings etc. Depends on miles, but if you have the forks off and disassembled, it's worth the $. The ride is firm, but not harsh and a very noticeable upgrade. I'm also a big fan of upgrading the rear spring, particularly if you do a lot of 2 up riding, but that's another topic.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
After reading all the posts on the front suspensions faults and how to go about upgrading it and wheather or not to undue the dive valve, I came to the conclusion that I am back where I started from. Confused.
I do a lot of 2 up riding and after 40 years in the saddle I can carve a corner or two but I never really found fault with the stock set up.
I sprung a left fork seal leak and so now is the time for a decision as to how much do I want to spend. Somebody convince me, please.
If you are happy with the stock suspension, just replace the fork sear, find out why the anti dive valve sticks (usually an O-ring), and ride on. There are half a dozen ways to disable the anti-dive, most of them reversable and 10 minute fixes. Washers, holes in nickles, etc.

Don't ask us - we enjoy spending someone elses money. But I have the TRAXXION AK 20 cartridge, All Balls steering and just love it......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you gentlemen for your support, I will keep you informed as to what I finally decide. Ride on

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Progressive front springs and a set of All Balls are also cost effective mods when rebuilding the forks while you already have everything apart.

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
I am in the camp that says if you are happy with the OE set-up, then why waste time and money on super-duper up-grades? I suggest you dismantle and clean your forks. Replace the slider bushings top and bottom, replace the seals and dust seals, replace the "O" rings at the top and copper washer seals at the bottom. Use BullDog's medium Shock Therapy suspension/shock fluid; and IF your stock springs are below minimum use length, then use the inexpensive Progressive springs or such.

Why mess with a set-up that works for your applicatoin? I did pretty much what I outlined above and it worked great for me for several years and I do enjoy the mountains. I did bottom-out the OE set-up! My OE springs were sacked-out. I am now bottoming-out the above set-up on occasion and I now need a replacement rear shock. This time, I am going with McCallister's full Monty; but such is probably excessive for my need -- but I want to do it. I guess that is what it boils down too -- do what you want and what suits you.

prs

·
Registered
467 Posts
Yes, confusion reigns supreme on many topics here. I'm happy with my stock set up and ride 2 up all the time. I priced the Traxxion etc. and decided not to go there. But then if I read all the posts about issues with the GoldWing before buying mine I probably wouldn't have. Now that I have one, it's the only modern bike to have.
Cliff.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
As one who just did a RaceTech installation including all new sliders and seals, it's a pretty straightforward task using Fred's entertainment videos, factory manual, RaceTech instructions, and parts. Stay tuned for my step-by-step instructions and pictures.

I also put a Progressive spring in the rear at the same time. Again, it was pretty easy, but time consuming.

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
If you are satisified with the stock performance and ride, I would suggest new springs when you rebuild the front forks. When it's time to do the rear, replace it with a trike takeoff.

I went away from stock because of the suspension crushing in the corners and the shock to my hands on extremely rough roads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts