GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting my top shelter (false gas tank) back on and, as usual, I'm having a real hard time getting the two big audio connectors at the lower side of the audio unit to click together.

Has anyone found any trick that works to make these connectors to hold together.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Line the connectors up one at a time. One hand on top of the audio unit, one under the shelter, push up firmly, it will click when secure.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
When ever I disconnect a connector, prior to reconnection I will spray the male and female connectors with a blast of clean compressed air to remove any road grit that might be on the connector's shell or electrical pins...this seems to help reconnection force.

Safe Rides....

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I should have been more clear.

I am plugging them in one at a time. I have cleaned them prior and I have added a little dielectric grease to the sides of the female connectors. I put one hand in at the aft part and one had at the fore part of the top shelter. This whole procedure is not new to me. I have had the top shelter off a dozen time or more and every time I have problems with these connectors. I guess mine are just really tight. I had hoped there was a trick I didn't know about. Thanks for the feedback guys.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem Solved.

I took a good close look at the O-rings in the connectors. I believe they were interfering with the connectors when I put them together. So I poked and prodded them and got the connectors to click together.

Now another question....I went looking on the OEM parts diagrams on this web site and could not find these O-rings. Does anyone know if you can buy these without having to buy a complete harness? I think that over time and multiple re-connections of the connectors the O-rings have also streched.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts