GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Situation:

I'm hooking up the Kenndy set to add FMRS radio to my PTT.

I'm also adding mic-mutes.

Between the two systems, there are three wires that need to attach to the aux terminals in the side fuse box.

Amperage draw is low...two of the three wires are 22AWG...the other slighly larger...maybe an 18AWG.

That ternimal is small...and hard to attach one loop connector too let alone three while still being able to get the cover back on.

Question:

What's the best way to accomplish this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Probably get flamed for this answer but here goes, you can solder all three to a single wire, shrink wrap them and use the one wire to hook the connector to.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably get flamed for this answer but her goes, you can solder all three to a single wire, shrink wrap them and use the one wire to hook the connector to.
Well, your solution is the same (electrically) as the posi-lock above. Although the soldering makes it permanent.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I have used the Posi-locks and they work quite well. The soldering idea is good, too; makes a very secure connection. Wal-Mart has the posi-locks, too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
posi-lock vs solder

As an ex-instructor for a truck manufacturer I would have to say that we always suggested soldering simply for quality of connection. One issue that our tech support constantly has is quick type electrical connectors often allow contaminants in which increases the amperage draw which causes a myriad of problems. If you use quick connections, I would still suggest using shrink wrap as an extra precaution. Please understand, I am not dissing posi-lock. They appear to be a great product, but I am lazy and figure if I do it well the first time, I won't have to re-do it in the future and will be less likely to have problems when I could be riding :D

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I have to agree, make the connections twisting them well then solder and heat shrink....... Been making wiring harnesses and its the only way I will do them.

A quick note: when you go to get heat shrink look for marine grade heat shrink, it has low temp glue on the inside that melts when you heat shrink the tube making for a water tight connection.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Plan your wiring accordingly. There is nothing more frustrating then after pulling some tupperware to do some maintenance and having to cut wiring because no thought was given to future repairs and maintenance. It won't hurt to run longer lengths of wire if need be or use posilocks to make it easy to get wiring out of the way. Color code and or label your connections.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Probably get flamed for this answer but here goes, you can solder all three to a single wire, shrink wrap them and use the one wire to hook the connector to.
:yes1: That is how I have done it for years. Cant beat the positiveness of a good connection......

·
Registered
833 Posts
Please understand, I am not dissing posi-lock. They appear to be a great product, but I am lazy and figure if I do it well the first time, I won't have to re-do it in the future and will be less likely to have problems when I could be riding :D

You are not being lazy, just energy efficient :lol::lol:

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
In the auto section, Walmart carries "posilocks" and calls them "Tapits." Not cheap, but work. Problem with the size shown here, the wires on the GL1800 are of too narrow a gauge for the "T" part to connect with the "hot" wire readily. One must fiddle with it to get a good bite.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
If you really want to do it clean and make it easy to disconnect the three accessories if necessary, then consider this:

1. Take three wires, two about 3 -4 inches long and one about 6 inches long.

2. Solder the two shorter wires to the longer wire about 1- 2 inches from the end of the longer wire. Attach a loop or spade terminal on the longest wire. Attach it to the 5-amp accessory terminal.

3. Install a male or female quick disconnect connector on the end of the three wires.

4. Install a male or female quick disconnect connector on the wire for each of the three accessories.

5. Just plug the accessories wires into the three wires coming from the 5-amp accessory terminal.

This would be a clean connection and you could disconnect each of the accessories without cutting wires or such.

And you only have one wire connected to the 5-amp accessory terminal.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you really want to do it clean and make it easy to disconnect the three accessories if necessary, then consider this:

1. Take three wires, two about 3 -4 inches long and one about 6 inches long.

2. Solder the two shorter wires to the longer wire about 1- 2 inches from the end of the longer wire. Attach a loop or spade terminal on the longest wire. Attach it to the 5-amp accessory terminal.

3. Install a male or female quick disconnect connector on the end of the three wires.

4. Install a male or female quick disconnect connector on the wire for each of the three accessories.

5. Just plug the accessories wires into the three wires coming from the 5-amp accessory terminal.

This would be a clean connection and you could disconnect each of the accessories without cutting wires or such.

And you only have one wire connected to the 5-amp accessory terminal.
This is how I ended up planning it...

The soldering is a must, but I want to be able to remove the components should they need to be replaced/removed.

Thanks everyone!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts