GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some work done on my bike a while back at a dealership and found out later they broke off the locking clip on the harness connection going in to the tweeter. (Yes, I know, this is why some don't have dealerships work on their bikes but it is what it is.) It's been like this for a couple years and I didn't consider it a big deal but I was wondering if it can be replaced. Is there a way to pop out innards and get a replacement clip for it? Or would it require a whole harness replacement?

I plan on doing the mod to the tweeters by adding a capacitor to them and I want to make sure the connection stays solid.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Normally rear insert electrical connectors can be de-pinned. There is normally a locking tab either on the contact or in side the cavity. You need to depress the tab and pull the contact out at the same time. I have disconnected mine many times, but never bothered to look at the connector. Check here, they have a lot of automotive and motorcycle connectors.

Reactions: William Anzik

·
Vendor
17,372 Posts
I had some work done on my bike a while back at a dealership and found out later they broke off the locking clip on the harness connection going in to the tweeter.
Yes ... often a connector consists of at least 2 parts ... the connector and the housing it snaps into. Often you have to buy them as a set. The problem comes with identifying the type of connector it is, and then finding a supply point that only sells 1 instead of a box of 100 or a 1000. For 5th gens, Honda sells no connectors ... their fix is to replace the harness that comes with all its connectors.

Good luck on your connector search, but someone might be able to point you in the write direction.

·
Registered
453 Posts
It might be easier to cut the wires and solder a new set of readily available connectors.
Personally, I would leave it as is. Maybe apply a small piece of two sided tape to the male connector. That should get them to stick together with "gummy friction".

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
If you're talking about the small connector that fits into the tweeter, I would just push it in and put a dab of silicone sealant on it. Those little tabs are a pain to disconnect.
You can send a picture to Alex at Corsa Tecnic. He may be able to identify the connector. He has done it a few time for me with other connectors. Of course they are probably made specific for the bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts