GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Ok..... No wips, no popcorn, no flame please!
Just need a collective opinion of people I trust most in this field - You!

I am considering a Yamaha VSTAR 1300 for light travel.
Probably would go for a bare bike and add on as I go, will probably be less expensive as well...

Does anyone have the bike?
If yes - what year and what do you think of it?

Thank you!

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,733 Posts
These are FUN for light travel.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i cant understand the idea of getting a mini wing with none of the benifits

if your talking a fjr, st1300, bmw 1200rt, then your talking some excitement, storage, and comfort

but its your cash, cast it where you will

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nah..... I am over that style. Tried to enjoy the 2007 VFR-800 - no fun anymore.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I had an 04 V-Star Custom 1100. I had no complaints. Sold it and bought the wing.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I like the look of the VStar 1300, best of all the Yamaha cruisers as far as looks actually. I got to test ride one and then one of the Stratoliners on the same day. The 1300 was a nice machine but I'll tell you, if I wanted a metric cruiser I'd be down at the Yamaha dealer getting a Roadliner or Stratoliner right now. Easily the best of the metrics and the only one of them I've ever ridden that I've given a second thought to in preference to my Dyna.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Loren, I disagree....:wrong:
ST1300 / FJR1300 for one would be much more of a mini Wing then a cruiser.... I used to have ST1100 - nice, but CRUISER is an operative word here.
I want a CRUISER.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
A buddy of mine at work has a 1300 star... He is losing it for 3 weeks for a transmission recall.

Check out the ISRA forum. Lurk there for a while and you will learn as much there about the stars and you do here about the wing... (good and bad!)

P.S. I used to have a 650 VStar... loved that bike (wish I could keep all the ones I like!)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have owned several second bikes with the intentions of satisfying my "One-Up" riding preferences. About 6 weeks ago I bought a H-D Road King for my second bike, which I use for errands and bear runs, with no intensions of leaving town. Well, now the SO has a new favorite bike, even asking last time we left town for a week-end trip if we were taking the Road King. I have to admit, I am getting to the time in my life when I just like cruisin'. I don't need to scrape metal to have fun!! I think the Wing will always be my "Main Grip-Twist", just made that up, but I am really enjoying how easy it is to ride the Road King.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I've got a 2nd bike, the Suzuki Vol in my sig line. It is really my solo bike and I really like it. The new designation is the C50. With the wing as heavy as it is, I really enjoy a 500# bike for around town. I do go out in the country; but stay within 200 miles or so of home because of the spoked wheels. Flats are no fun with a tube. It'll do 100mph easily; but gets around 50mpg . Sit on one, I think you'd like it.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
V-Strom would be awesome and totally different fun...
Or perhaps an older Rocket III classic?? Not a V-Twinkie!!!

·
Registered
352 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
The wing is my second bike, I usually only ride it when Katherine is going with me. My primary ride is a HD Dyna. Its just a relaxing ride for my short commute to work, for running errands or a jaunt through the country on the backroads. Of course I have a Blackbird if I want to rip down those same backroads, but I find myself taking it less and less because it doesn't seem like much fun until I hit about 130. Get what you want to ride.

BTW, I traded an ST-1300 for the wing and I wouldn't call it a miniwing. A lot of people on the ST Owners forum buy it thinking its is, then spend a lot of money on bar risers, peg lowering kits, highway bars, cruise control and the like. Its a very good bike for what it is, a sports tourer, but the comfort level is way below that of the wing, especially two up. Same thing for cruisers with bags, its just a different type of ride than a wing.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Sold my 650 VStrom last Fall. What a great bike, both for the short haul as well as long distance touring and sport touring. Plenty of power.

Also owned an '03 ST1300. Sure do miss that motorcycle. I considered it a sort of mini-Wing, and felt that it was at least as comfortable as the GL1800 Wing. But then, that's just me. I had an oversized aftermarket windshield, throttle control (Vista Cruise), Russell Seat and handlebar risers. Never heard of highway bars for the ST, though. It was mildly farkled, and perfect for every type of intended use. If I thought it wouldn't make for bad feelings around here, I'd get another one.

Meanwhile, it's sure hard to beat the GL1800 as an all-around motorcycle. There are others I'd consider for a second bike, including the HD RK as well as the new Kawasaki 1700 Nomad. Darn the economic recession, anyway. Sigh........

·
Registered
574 Posts
I recently bought an 09 Harley Davidson Road Glide. I love it and use it for errands and rides lasting less than a day. For rides that will involve overnight travel, I take the Wing because it has more storage space.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
My around town and ride to work bike is a 2007 Triumph Bonne---fun bike, easy to ride and looks old 1960`s cool---still has twin carbs on it--and the 865cc`s will get it on down the road

·
Registered
747 Posts
I owned 2 VTX1300's and they are nice bikes for the money. As posted above, the Wing is a wonderful bike and rides so much better than the rest. If you want a second bike, go for something different so you will enjoy the ride.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts