GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the procedure for getting my actuator installed on a Traxxion rear shock? Do I remove the stock shock/actuator and mail the entire package to Traxxion?

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
What is the procedure for getting my actuator installed on a Traxxion rear shock? Do I remove the stock shock/actuator and mail the entire package to Traxxion?

Yes.

·
Registered
216 Posts
That would be the easiest way to go.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
If you don't want to have to wait for shipping to and from, and you are mechanically inclined, you can buy the tool needed to do it yourself from Traxxion or others.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts

You can do this work yourself and save some gas money from shipping charges if you know how to remove the shock from your bike.

You'll need this tool to swap out the shock. http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=2495&str=4

Here is the instructions from Progressive. http://www.progressivesuspension.com/pdfs/shocks_shockSprings/3052-002.pdf

·
Registered
35 Posts
You can do it either way. You can send us the shock and we will swap your preload adjuster to the new shock for $40, including bleeding your preload adjuster (so it starts working at "1"). We typically turn them around the same day or the next day.

Or you can purchase the Progressive spring compressor Rocky mentions. We sell them as well, and we can ship it along wth your shock.

Here is a link to our install instructions. Those instructions do not cover bleeding the preload adjuster, which is not mandatory if yours is working well. I think that has been covered on this site.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I sent mine in a week ago. When I get it back I will let you know how it goes. Kirk

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Or you might take it to your local authorized Traxxion installer, Houston Trikes & Trailers in Webster..

That might be quicker & cheaper than shipping things to GA, or buying one-time-use tools..

Just a thought..

Dave
GWBBA #9

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I understand correctly, there is no need for a special tool to install the new Traxxion shock. The tool is used to compress the spring if you were upgrading the spring on the original shock. I believe the new Traxxion setup includes a new spring already installed on the new Penske shock. I just want someone to install my actuator on the new shock and bleed the system to eliminate any air in the hose. I'll probably get the new braided hose installed, also.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
If I understand correctly, there is no need for a special tool to install the new Traxxion shock. The tool is used to compress the spring if you were upgrading the spring on the original shock. I believe the new Traxxion setup includes a new spring already installed on the new Penske shock. I just want someone to install my actuator on the new shock and bleed the system to eliminate any air in the hose. I'll probably get the new braided hose installed, also.

"Yes you do need a special tool" to remove the Shock preloader from your stock shock to transfer it to the new shock/spring..
Any aftermarket shock spring combo are sold "without" the shock preloader.Yours from your bike has to be swapped out..

I could be wrong,but I think your confusion is from seeing the picture of a complete shock/spring/preloader in the picture in there ad's??
That is not the way you get them..

If you are going with the SS-Line,Then you'd be better off sending your shock and actuator to Traxxion,and let then service your actuator and install your new shock/spring/line..That way you'd just have to re-install the whole set up...

·
Registered
35 Posts
:agree:

Your preload adjuster does have to be swapped onto our shock and spring. If you have some time to wait for the shock to ship back and forth, it's easier to just send in your shock and hydraulic preload and just have us do the swap. What we charge to do the swap and bleed the preload adjuster is cheaper than the tool you would need. You will receive it back fully assembled and ready to install, like you have seen in the pictures. And we can install the steel braided hydraulic line if you want it when we do the swap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts