GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Little background for you to see where I am at. My folks are in the process of retiring, and have bought a little place down in Tennessee, just up in the foot hills of the Smokies...pretty darn close to the national park. Once they get down there for good (going to winter there, summer at lake home up on Superior in MN), they plan on building a garage to put thier bike in and make enough room for mine as well. Originally, I had figured on getting a cruiser to keep down there...my Dad has a Suzuki C90T for down there, a 1500 Wing SE for up at the lake. But, the wife kind of wants something with a trunk more like the Wing. After looking around at a few bikes, I had pretty much settled on sending my 02 1800 down to live in TN, and get a new Indian Chieftain for up here, as the TN bike will only get ridden every so often. Due to our work, we can go down and visit every 6 weeks...so putting a high dollar bike down there didn't make a lot of sense. I REALLY like my Wing, so it was a tough decision.

Certain things in life have a way of going a different direction, and my wife and I are in the process of buying a bigger place to live so I can have a shop on it. Needless to say, new bike in our future is pretty much out the window. A used bike, however, is still an option. I have always loved the Valkyrie...no matter what trim level, they were always on the want list for bikes. When I bought my Wing back in 02, it was a tough choice between it, and a Valk Interstate. Wing won out for reverse and seemingly slightly lower. I should mention I am 5' 7", with a 30" inseam.

I am somewhat torn as to which bike to have down in TN...I know the Wing would do anything and everything I ask of it down there, but this might be a good time to have a Valkyrie. I possibly have a line on a supercharged Tourer...not overly practical, but then I guess I don't really need that down there. We would do day trips, two up most of the time. I think I could convince her with a good backrest. I figure I can find a Valkryie cheaper than a Wing at this point.

So, For those that have come from a Valk to a Wing, if you could have a Valk somewhere other than home, would you? Or, would you buy another Wing (06-07) and put the older one away from home?

Thanks for any help! :)

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I have a Valk and a 2 wings. I like both, but I think if I had 2 bikes in different places both would be wings. I own a 1800 and it has not been out of garage yet. I have a 99 1500 and have about a thousand miles on it in March. Rode valk to town one afternoon. I like it but I really should put it up for sale. I just don't ride it much.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 1999 Valk Interstate and a VTX1800C that I am Interested in selling. I love them both but don't have the time to ride them along with my wing. Both have around 36,000 mile on them. Pm me if you are interested and I will send you all incidentals.

Mike

·
Registered
576 Posts
Both

I have a 98 Valk and an 05 Wing. The Valk has 141K and is my daily driver. I call the Wing my Friday Bike. I save it for my summer trip. If you store a Valk for long periods, you need to put fuel preservative in it and prepare it. The carbs will clog up and can take a lot of $$$$ to fix. Remove the battery for a warm storage place and keep it on a smart charger. Use a lift and put cardboard or wood under the tires. For more info,,, www.valkyrieriders.com

·
Registered
874 Posts
If you can afford it...WHY NOT??? :tongue:

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just moved from a '98 Valk standard (with windshield and Leatherlyke bags) to a '12 Wing. As the other poster stated the Valk's 6 carbs will clog if left unridden for awhile. This is not trivial if your bike would not be ridden for a month or more. I put over 10,000 miles on the Valk in the past 2 years and lost 4 months of the riding season last summer when I wrecked it and had to wait for insurance and sourcing used parts to get it back on the road. I started it regularly and kept fuel additives in it but you could tell it was clogging up and it took several fuel treatments and long hard rides to get them clear.

I was shocked when I picked the '12 Wing up off the side stand, it was fully fueled and felt 100lbs lighter than my Valk when in reality the Wing is 150lbs heavier (fuel tank under the seat really does lower the center of gravity). I can only wonder how much heavier the Valk Interstate would feel as it not only weighs a lot more but also has a bigger tank then the standard. I had a tall Switchblade windshield, fork lowers and baker air wings to reduce the buffeting and plexiglass hand protectors for winter riding. An aftermarket seat removed any long ride soreness.

I ride with several GL1500 and GL1800 riders who really push these things in the curves. The Valk handled well but that fat front tire spoiled the experience and the bike understeers. I have ridden mine hard enough to drag the right header pipe. You can muscle it thru a turn but the Wing is a much more pleasurable experience. The '12 Wing feels very nimble and wants to turn. There is no effort to tighten your line when heeled over. The next big advantage is the suspension. The GL1800's have a progressive linkage which really helps reduce bottoming. My Valk had aftermarket shocks which reduced the bottoming on rough roads, but the ride suffered greatly.

The Valk's vacuum operated petcock has a habit of going bad and I replaced mine with a Pingle. Manually shut off the fuel at the end of the day just like old times. If your petcock fails, fuel may get past the carb and into a cylinder if you have a sticky fuel float. You may then hydrolock the engine the next time you start it. The gas tank range on the Valk standard is a limiting factor. I never got better than 36mpg, less if ridden hard, and it only had a 5 gallon tank. The Pingle petcock had a shorter reserve pipe so once you switched to reserve you might only have about 1/2 gallon left - not much range. I would get nervous and get fuel when reaching 160 miles on a tank. My '12 Wing is averaging 42mpg at the moment.

Performance wise I think the Valk would take the Wing in a roll on from 60mph as the Wing seemed to be geared taller in 5th. But in a drag race there is no comparison, the Wing gets the job done.

If it were my choice, I'd have a GL1800 as the second bike hands down over the Valk.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I had a Valk Tourer that I drove all over the eastern part of the US. Solid bike, handled well and I never had any problems with it. I have an old Magna V65 that I thought about trading in on another Valk - just because. Sort of liked the old XS1100's though ... :banghead:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hubby had a 99 Valk. He sold it and bought the Wing for the comfort and ABS brakes. The Valk should definitely be cheaper than a Wing and the valk would be just as smooth. I would buy a Wing. I don't want to own anythng else.

If you buy a Valk and need a stock seat, we have one in very good condition... no tears or defects. You can have it no charge; just pay for shipping.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies. The one I am looking at only has one carb, figured if I got it, I would switch to EFI.

It really is still up in the air....I love the Wing, but have always wanted a Valk...I know the Wing would be better all the way around, but doesn't have the cruiser feel to it. :lol:

·
Registered
129 Posts
I transitioned from a Valkyrie to a Wing in 2011. I had a 2000 Valkyrie Interstate for 10 years and it was by far my favorite bike of all time. I had an "attachment" to that bike that I have never realized with the 2010 Goldwing. I put 120,000 miles on it and was getting worried about being able to pick up parts for it. Other people told me not to worry but I did.
You will make the right choice. I wish I could afford both!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies so far!

No new one in my future...money is going to be a little tighter for toys...not to mention, still not sold on the styling. Still like the originals better...

Another fella on a different board suggested that I also look at the Triumph Rocket III...from what I can see, that bugger is BIG!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well.....W02.....I was sort of in the same position as you. I bought an '07 VTX 1300 last year. Found a good deal on an '08 Wing a couple of weeks ago, so I bought it. Now.......I'm not so sure I want to sell the VTX, it's too much fun to ride and sounds really cool. The previous owner had built a custom exhaust for it, it's not loud at all but a real deep mellow tone. It doesn't cost hardly anything to own them both and I do have plenty of room to keep them inside.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I personally would not touch an older supercharged anything, for dependability issues, except for strictly toy time stuff.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess this one doesn't scare me....know the guy, and knew how he built it and rode it very little after supercharging it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The superchargers for the Valk are not the problem. Getting an ignition module which will retard the timing while in boost is almost impossible. The company making them ceased production and will not share tech data with anyone. You need a module with three coil outputs; I know modules are made for HD, but they are not usable.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I currently own three bikes and enjoy riding all of them, I would love to own more but storage is my biggest problem, Life is short enjoy it!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
The "original, not the new one" Valkyrie was and still is a great bike!

I had a 97 with a Motor Trike conversion and to this day, I still kick myself for selling her! The only thing that I can warn you about is to make sure you ride here and don't let her sit! With the ****ty ethanol gas we have today, those 6 carburetors will gum up pretty quick. ( I had to have mine stripped down and cleaned twice. Very expensive! ). Ride her like you stole her and even then, use some kind of gas treatment such as StarTron. You'll love the Valk! She's a motorcycle and HotRod combined into one machine! :thumbup:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The superchargers for the Valk are not the problem. Getting an ignition module which will retard the timing while in boost is almost impossible. The company making them ceased production and will not share tech data with anyone. You need a module with three coil outputs; I know modules are made for HD, but they are not usable.
I was just reading about that last night...certainly does make it tougher to run for long without that module.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts