GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, for the first time, I was riding with a friend who has a 2012
Wing and I was in the lead. I have ridden in groups with other Wings on and off since wings came out.

What alarmed me, as i was in the lead, was that I could not see the headlights of this very pretty Blue 2012 Wing, if it was more than a few feet behind me. I could see the foglights and the Mirror clearance lights, but not the headlights. When it was close enough to see, the headlights appeared to be very narrowly spaced and appeared as two small dots of light, reminiscent of a jumping spider with its two green eyes.

His headlights were aimed slightly low. I am used to seeing Wings in the mirror that have one of both headlights on low beam that are too low, and they look dimmer than when they are aimed correctly but not zero light.

I asked him to aim them higher on CB but then realized that he could not change anything while moving. When riding up and down rolling hills, his headlights would appear to go on and off, not just go bright and dim as is what the 2010 and earlier look like.

Also, when viewing the 2012 bike from the side, it is not possible to see if the headlights are on or not.

His 2012 bike from the rear was also noticeably harder to see. And, the trunk lights that are on, are inboard rather than outboard, further reducing the apparent size of the Wing when approaching it from the rear.

There is essentially no light cast to the side by the headlights of the 2012, and the amount of light coming from the headlight assembly is less.

I don't know if the people at Honda that dictated the lighting as it is on the 2012, ever ride Wings at night, or at all. If, no one says anything about this considerable reduction in conspicuity and on rider night vision, it will not be corrected.

I believe that the retort that it is better than XYZ motorcycle is what will be heard, but for those of us that have hundreds of thousands of miles on 1800s, it is a real slap in the face. Maybe a real bash in the bike is more appropriately said.

·
Registered
19,376 Posts
I said in an earlier post the 2012 lights appear to be less bright

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
Could it be that the light is actually focused better on the new wing? I know on my wife's new mazda, the headlight pattern is focused very well, and outside of that focused area, there is very little spill over of light.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,990 Posts
I asked him to aim them higher on CB but then realized that he could not change anything while moving.
That feature is a real down grade with the 2012 model IMO. I like being able to change the angle of the headlights while moving. I set the headlights to their highest position in the daytime and then lower them at night when following another bike or in heavy traffic. The low beams at the highest position really blinds the bike in front if they are not lowered and it's so nice to be able to adjust while on the fly.

Honda downgrading the headlights and rear lights with the 2012 and then eliminated the option all together for the owner to be able to install aftermarket lighting in the saddlebag and trunk like you can with the 01 to 10 models was really a stupid move on Honda's part. Changes like that makes you think those in charge at Honda don't actually ride a motorcycle...why else would Honda do such a stupid thing and screw up what was already the best lighting system of any motorcycle.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Great Lighs on 2012

The headlight on my 2012 are the best I've ever had on a motorcycle. The lights are white, bright and round. I see well when leaned over or straight up. Yet, other drivers aren't complaining. These lights are better than my M-B and that's the best CAR lights I've ever had. I DO want fog lights and an extra brake light, but I'm pretty happy as is. YMMV.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts

Honda made a few changes to avoid making different parts for the same bike.

It stands to reason Why should they build two bikes for the US & Europe.
Some countries don't allow lower saddle bag lights.

We all know how bright these headlights are.Did you ever think that maybe they are "To" bright for other countries??
And Honda trying to please every whiner out there decide to flat black out the outer reflectors to comply with everyone in all countries.

Maybe someone should Call "Honda and complain" to them,instead of doing it on this board..

It's asinine to think if you bitch on this board Honda will recall all the lights and replace them because you thought they should..
ROTFLMAO at that one.:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Maybe someone should Call "Honda and complain" to them,instead of doing it on this board..

It's asinine to think if you bitch on this board Honda will recall all the lights and replace them because you thought they should..
Maybe the reason for his post here was to see if other riders are thinking the same thing!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Wow, if they're difficult to see in mirrors close behind you, wonder what the visibility factor is with oncoming traffic? They're going to need some aftermarket lighting asap!

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Not buying the blackout around the bezel is bad.. Ever hold a GL1800 headlamp in your hand? They have a mounting spot molded on the headlamp housing (most inward side) like cars with HIDS for the ballest. I wonder why they didn't follow through :shrug:

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
This may be hard to understand but, I'll give it a try.
You are used to seeing the total housing surface of the Wing's headlamps chromed.
Some light would reflect off these non-optical functioning surfaces fooling your eyes into perceiving more light than is actually radiated.
Now that non-functioning area is black and no longer reflects any non-usable light. Therefore your eyes again are perceiving less light.
Although I no longer work where we had photometric testing equipment to check, I would be willing to bet the "usable" part of the optical reflecting surfaces are radiating just a much light to the required test points per FMVSS lighting standards as the 01 to 2010 lamps.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Not buying the blackout around the bezel is bad.. Ever hold a GL1800 headlamp in your hand? They have a mounting spot molded on the headlamp housing (most inward side) like cars with HIDS for the ballast. I wonder why they didn't follow through :shrug:
I don't understand?
What are you calling a bezel? There is a housing and a lens! The black and the chromed surfaces are all part of the housing and are one piece.
These lamps were never designed for HIDs. Probably a cost issue!
Not sure what you are calling a mounting spot for a ballast, on the housing?

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is exactly because they eliminated the chrome on the secondary reflecting FACETED surface that the light is worthless for deer on the shoulder and why you can not see the light unless you are in its primary beam, and why a driver can hot see you waiting to enter the road form a side street at night. It is DUMB. How many pennies are saved by not chroming that piece of plastic?

No comparison to the 2010 and earlier bikes. If you did not have an 01 thru 2010 GL 1800, you would not know you are giving up so much in the way of lighting and conspicuity.

I do not care what they want Honda to do in France of Germany, I want to stay alive over here.

One or two people calling Honda will do little compared to 15,000 or how ever many readers there are of these boards will do. Remember the frame welds?

PS:
tfdeputydawg, My very good friend with the 2012 still has his 2001. One has good side lighting from the headlights and one has NONE.

The photo one or two posts up tells the story.

Sorry, but I believe that Honda has the very best engineers in the motorcycle business. Honda Marketing..........................

Redline, you are right as rain. Likely, the outboard lights in the trunk can be made to be functional stop and tail lights.

Check into how many more BMWs are rear ended to get an idea of the problem.

Many women and some men do not see stereoptically and judge distance by the size of an object, and how quickly it appears to grow in size as they approach.

The earlier 1800s had widely spaced taillights and were much less prone to be rear ended.

The 2012 looks more narrow from the front at night because the primary reflectors are all that show. They look like small round point sources of light, whereas the chromed headlight pockets of the earlier bikes presented a large appearing headlight.

I know that Honda cut lots of dollars out of the cost of the 2012, but safety is no place to cut.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
There is essentially no light cast to the side by the headlights of the 2012, and the amount of light coming from the headlight assembly is less.
That would be something I would be concerned about, given the number of people on side streets who do not, for whatever reason, see you coming and pull out. I want to not only light up the road in front of me but project a good amount of peripheral light.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I can see very well at night w/low beams,and the shoulders of the roads are well lit to see anything that moves. I have never seen the need to adjust my beams,they are set on the middle position.I have not owned any previous models so I can't compare. I just know I'm tinkled pink w/2012 ABS.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Tom,
You might be surprised to learn it probably cost more to have a black and a chrome finish on the housing surface. What was once a chrome and go is now a 2 stage process, most likely increasing the piece cost.
Or not, now that they are made in Japan and not the US!

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Stearman

I have 340,600 miles on GL 1800s of the 1,089,281 miles that I have ridden.

I have hit 9 deer so far, but avoided several thousand by being able to see them.

I guess there are many that see a Wing as a toy, and use it only when the sun is up and weather is fair. My Wings are my only transportation and I ride quite a bit at night because they wont leave the sun up long enough.

In these days of reduced driver awareness brought on by the texting and cell phone craze, if a marketing group cared about their riders safety, they would not have done what they did.

I think every one of them should have only a 2012 goldwing to use around the clock,. No car. I will bet that soon, we would see a very different bike. For one thing, there would be no non ABS Wings. If they don't want to play, let them go get a job with Ford or Chevy.

I feel the same way about dealer salesmen. If they are going to earn a living taking dollars from Wing riders, then they need to be Wing riders also.

How can a salesman give reasonable advice to a Wing Buyer if they have never ridden one? Why don't riders think about that when they go looking for a competent salesman.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Don't see anyone that owns a '12' on here doing any complaining about the lights. Blacked out lighting is what it's all about on the hot cars today also. Gives them that mean/nasty look.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Don't see anyone that owns a '12' on here doing any complaining about the lights. Blacked out lighting is what it's all about on the hot cars today also. Gives them that mean/nasty look.
Folks generally don't complain about things they're not aware of or don't think they need until the need becomes apparent. The issue here isn't so much what 2012 drivers think but how much light registers on and is seen by people and cars in the periphery.

·
Administrator
3,844 Posts

Honda made a few changes to avoid making different parts for the same bike.

It stands to reason Why should they build two bikes for the US & Europe.
Some countries don't allow lower saddle bag lights.

We all know how bright these headlights are.Did you ever think that maybe they are "To" bright for other countries??
And Honda trying to please every whiner out there decide to flat black out the outer reflectors to comply with everyone in all countries.

Rocky, you suffering from PMS again? There's no whining going on. Tom is stating his thoughts and concerns about where Honda is headed. That's the reason for this board.

As for needing to build a bike that is compliant in other countries, that's a pile of BS. Honda's main market for the GL1800 is the United States. If they depended on other countries for their sales they would discontinue the Goldwing. Goldwing lights are too bright for other countries!?!?!? Now I'm the one who is ROTFLMAO.

Think about what you said about the answer is for one person to call Honda and complain, instead of posting on this board. Honda doesn't care at all what one person thinks. They care about what a large segment of their buyers think. You can bet your sweet bippy that someone in the Honda marketing group reads the internet forums to get the market's pulse.

I've noticed several posts in which you purposely try to denigrate Tom. I really think you're still smarting from the intellectual spanking Tom gave you a couple of years back on a trailer hitch thread. Get over it.

I personally like the looks of the 2012 Goldwing, and if I were in the market I'd seriously consider it for the honest improvements they've incorporated. However, I sincerely think they've taken a big step backwards with the lack of peripheral lighting front and rear, fewer rear lights, and the rear fender overhang that interferes with the trailer hitch.

I want to know the good, the bad, and the ugly concerning any bike I may purchase. If the lights on the 2012 are not as visible as those on earlier models, that's something I want to know.

Glen

1 - 20 of 61 Posts