GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I make a lot of short trips on my 1800 such as to the hardware store, and just about everywhere, and anywhere else in town. Heck I even take my trailer with me and go grocery shopping. I do try to get out and run all day every couple of weeks or so but There is bunches of 1-2 mile trips in between. Was wondering if so many short 1-2 mile trips or less in a stretch could be harmful to the engine. This are all slow speed town trips at 35 mph and it does not get the chance to even warm up properly.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Under those circumstances I think I would use cheap oil and change it frequently.

I was thinking of condesation in the crankcase.

Now I see you are in CA and I'm guessing it may be no problem.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Two years, total 32Kmiles, driving much like you do, 'cept I do have a daily comute to work of 13 miles each way. Oil fine, bike fine, but all that getting on and off may have caused the seams in my saddle to wear out (I let warranty look after it, I'll let you know if it happened again at 64K :) )

·
Registered
545 Posts
im sure u get great gas mileage that way..... otherwize .... just
enjoy that fine california weather 8)

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Don Swanburg said:
Under those circumstances I think I would use cheap oil and change it frequently.
Be careful with "cheap" oil. Although you might not want to use the best available, Honda GN4 is pretty inexpensive, and Hal will ship you a case.
http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/store ... =714037689
Also make sure that you check the rest of your fluids and top them off as required.

Much of California is desert, but Modesto is near enough to the ocean, surrounded by farmland, lakes, and rivers, and can get some humidity, so this is a good reason to change the fluids.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Much of California is desert, but Modesto is near enough to the ocean, surrounded by farmland, lakes, and rivers, and can get some humidity, so this is a good reason to change the fluids.[/quote]

Thanks guys.
Condesation was one of my concerns. Possibilty of carbon build up was another. I do change my oil every 4000 miles. Like I mentioned already I am able to get out every couple of weeks for a full day of riding so I guess I have no need for concern. Many years ago an old neighbor of mine about 80 years old drove his pickup like this but never drove for more than 5 miles at a time. Darn thing would run like crap from being all plugged up. He use to ask me about twice a year to drive it and "blow it out for him". Always ran better afterwards. Smoked like crazy when I would tromp on it for the first few times, but it sure was fun to have him tell me to take his truck out and 'drive it hard', I was around 16-17 at the time :lol:

·
Registered
72 Posts
alltimes said:
I make a lot of short trips on my 1800 such as to the hardware store, and just about everywhere, and anywhere else in town. Heck I even take my trailer with me and go grocery shopping. I do try to get out and run all day every couple of weeks or so but There is bunches of 1-2 mile trips in between. Was wondering if so many short 1-2 mile trips or less in a stretch could be harmful to the engine. This are all slow speed town trips at 35 mph and it does not get the chance to even warm up properly.
You've pretty much described how I've ridden/driven every bike and auto I've owned over the past 30 years and I can't say I've ever had a problem attributable to short trips. But like others have already posted, I've been diligent in changing my oil and having the scheduled maintenance completed.

·
Registered
463 Posts
short trips

About the only thing I can say is you have to remember that the vehicle of yesteryear had mechanical parts (carburetor, vacuum advance etc) that, if not exercised to their full degree would begin to bind and sieze due to their lack of use. With todays computerized technology this is not near the problem it used to be. In the old days you had to blow out the carbon, in todays vehicles, the fuel management system is very exact. The system factors in such items as air temperature, water temperature, load variances, and countless other data and therefore feeds the engine only what it can use. The need to blow out the carbon is all but gone. If you are in an area of high humidity you will be pleased to know that the modern crankcase is very tight. If you remove the oil fill cap from a running auto engine you can hear the engine change speed, that little bit of outside air or pressure releif causes the computer to change the fuel and timing and other factors. The biggest thing you have to be concerned about is making sure the condensate drain tube on the left side of the engine remins drained, not allowing the moisture that is separated from the crankcase vapors to accumalate and back up into the crankcase. Just my 2 cents worth being an auto technician for over 35 years. Frank

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't think condensation is a problem. In order to create condensation moisture laden air must come in contact with a cooler surface which is at or below the dew point. When you start up the engine it becomes warmer than ambient air temp so this isn't going to cause any condensation. As the engine cools it returns to ambient temp which is usually above the dew point anyway. The crankcase doesn't normally see any products of combustion so you are safe.

You might have some problems with the exhaust system corrosion which is caused by condensation.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
tjshelton said:
Much of California is desert, but Modesto is near enough to the ocean, surrounded by farmland, lakes, and rivers, and can get some humidity, so this is a good reason to change the fluids.[/quote]

Did some of CA fall into the ocean......Modesto is close?? all desert? Dang, I'm going to have ocean front beach here in the near future! :shock:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts