GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw an article in the August, 2006 issue of Consumer Reports ("CR") rating 15 portable (i.e., those not built into cars) GPS systems. At least the following attributes (and their functionality when present) were given consideration in the article and/or score graph below:

* Enter[ing] destination
* Use [of] controls
* Info for driver
* Route options
* How portable
* Touch screen
* Preloaded maps
* Battery operation
* Screen size ("large enough to see easily but not so large it blocks your view")
* Speaking ability and format of directions

As usual with CR, a ratings chart accompanied the article which I have supplied below. Out of the 15 units, and not surprisingly, Garmins seem to have dominated by garnering 1st and 2nd place finishes in the top 5 (as well as a Best Buy recommendation elsewhere); the bottom five were two Lowrance models and others I'd frankly never heard of.

Anyway, since I see regular postings to the effect of "Which GPS should I buy/is best?" the following is offered as a very basic guideline that you may interpret as you like.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Good info for us to see but...located at the bottom of each page...
The representations expressed are the representations and opinions of the gl1800riders.com forum members and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and viewpoints of the site owners or moderators. gl1800riders.com forum members agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyrighted material is owned by you or have been given the expressed written consent to post. Although we do not and cannot review the messages posted and are not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we reserve the right to delete any message for any reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold us harmless with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s). Please refer back to the registration agreement if you have any questions.

·
Registered
788 Posts
jniles said:
Is your Honda Navi portable?
If you can pick the bike up, it is! :wink:

·
Registered
7 Posts
If prerouting is important to you then you may want to do a little more homework on their top pick Nuvi 350. I was looking at it and the newer version 360 but I'm not sure it will allow you to create your own routes, diviate from the precalculated ones, and download them. I do believe the Streetpilot 2730 will allow you to do this though.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
jniles said:
Is your Honda Navi portable?
It has a very smooth and quiet 6 cylinder motor to help ya move it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts