GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only had a Goldwing for going on 4 years, but at 76 I find I have been thinking a lot about where to go where I have to admit that I am no longer up to handling this 900 pound bike. Sitting here today with a bad case of the flu, making me feel every bit of my 76 years, makes me even more sure that the day will come when I will face one of two choices: go to a trike or accept riding a much lighter and easier to handle motorcycle, even if that means giving up so much of the luxury that I am now used to. Triking a Goldwing has some appeal, but after having a chance to ride a trike last summer, albeit only for a very short ride, made me realize that a trike is a very different experience from riding a motorcycle. So assuming I am recovered enough by this weekend to no longer be contagious, I plan on going to the motorcycle show in Chicago and at least getting to sit on some of the possibilities for my post-Goldwing days. Being a former Triumph rider, the Street Twin has a lot of appeal, as a "standard" that reminds me a bit of the old Honda Nighthawk 750. The Honda CB500F is another possibility, and there probably are a few more that meet my criteria of being light, having a low enough seat for my 30 inch inseam, and having enough capability for some time riding on the Interstate. There's nothing like getting really ill at 76 to focus one's mind on aging and mortality, but I am a long way from even thinking about giving up riding.

·
Registered
583 Posts
One thing I have learned from experience is that you don't make big decisions when you are feeling crappy. Wait until you feel well again and then you will be thinking clearly about the future instead of focusing on what you can't do. Good luck on whatever you decide to. (I hope I'm still riding at 76)

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Vito,I had a conversation with a friend this weekend about the exact same subject. I'm 73 years old and know that the time will come when I can't comfortably handle a Wing. I wonder what's next! I'll be watching this thread.

Glen

·
Love The DCT
11,327 Posts
Vito,I had a conversation with a friend this weekend about the exact same subject. I'm 73 years old and know that the time will come when I can't comfortably handle a Wing. I wonder what's next! I'll be watching this thread.

Glen
Friend had stroke and is looking at the can am spyder since it is auto and does not use clutch levers and foot brake is fine
Take a look at the 2020 Can Am RT Limited. Complete redesign.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am a member of the Shadow.net forum since 2012 and notice recently a lot of former Goldwing riders who have stated the same concern and are looking for the easier handling of a lighter bike; wanting highway and cruising etc and Honda brand. With a windshield and soft bags the Shadow 1100s can handle most requirements. Mine was bought new in 1995 and has that renowned Honda reliability (never in the shop). Maintenance is much simpler than the GL since less plastic and shim under bucket so no valve adjustment needed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Honda CTX700 DCT is like a baby wing. Saddlebags are optional. But it comes with the Auto Dual Clutch Transmission if your arthritis is acting up too much in the left hand. At 478 lbs itls just over half the weight of the wing.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I will be 78 come March 7th.

I am not exercising enough, and just putting on my TourMaster pants, and the heavy Mesh jacket and Shoei helmet felt like I had just added 40 lbs to my out-of-condition 275#.

I was going to meet a friend an hour's ride away.... almost turned around and took all that stuff off and ride in bluejeans and T-shirt.......

got on the bike, and have to back out of the garage, luckily I always put it to bed on the center stand.... but hoisting my leg up and over the backrest was almost more than I could get done....

so, do I keep riding, or do I get my arse off the recliner and start using the treadmill ??
my daughter harps at me to get on the treadmill, so I guess I will do that.

Last year, we bought a little Toy Hauler and loaded the 1800 in the back...
Oops!!! the trailer started Wig Wagging bad!!! holy cow, is my Colorado Springs vacation trip going to be canceled, or just leave the bike home?

did a lot of experimenting, moved all of the heavy items to the bathroom up front, spare tire, tools, duffel bags, electronics, etc. and bought two sets of Sway Bars and paid to get those welded onto the truck's equalizer hitch.... finally tamed the beast, but it was not enough, over 45 mph and wig wag.

Filled the black tank, grey tank, freshwater tanks, added 240 gallons of water to the front side of the dual axles, and finally the whole rig settled down, and we could drive 55 mph w/o fear of the truck heading for the ditch.

2,000 miles later, said the 1800 can't go with us anymore, we need a scooter.....
within a few weeks, we found one, a Piaggio MP3 dual front wheel 250cc auto-tranny.
weighs 440 lbs, the toy hauler is happy now.

We went to 3 rallys and only had the little scooter to ride.... wow! that thing can keep up with the Goldwings!!! and 440# is a lot lighter than 900# plus..... by the time summer was over, I got to wondering if I need to keep the 1800????

my son says "yes dad, that is mine... you keep it until you can't ride it, and then I get it."

so, I ride the 1800 around home out a few hours and back.... no more tours on it ever again.

That scooter is the Cat's Meow for us gentler, less agile types now. Oh, it will make 70 mph on the level, comfy enough to ride with a group of friends. 70 mpg too :)

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Well Gang,
I'm sneaking up on 68 and have been riding for over 50 years, on an off. The Wing's made quite an impression on me (and the CEO) over the years. I've considered Triking our '08 with only 31K on the clock, purchasing a Trike, test riding a Can Am, sent a message to the Piaggio owner, and well, just tossing things around except the Wing, it's too heavy to toss around. I'm 6' 2 1\2 and around 245 and the CEO, well, I won't divulge too much here for fear of my life. Anyway, at present, I'm still a big enough ape to handle the operations of a Wing, and two folks on it. But, as time goes on, things are deteriorating. And muscles etc. are not all I'm talking about,.....

Anyway, I'm keeping my options open. We've been spoiled severely by the Wings capabilities, abilities and, all it's attributes (probably all the same) and, to go with anything less, well, that's a tough pill to swallow.
Scott

·
Registered
7,431 Posts
I'll be 75 in April and only weigh 150 lbs (5' 10") on a good day and I've been riding since I was 16 minus my 4 yrs Navy time and I can sure notice the difference the last year in wrestling the Wing around. I've been a diabetic for 20 yrs and that has definitely zapped my strength and stamina. :cry:
Like others have mentioned I've been thinking about a lighter bike in a yr or two but I've owned multiple GW's since 1977 and I'm definitely spoiled. Not interested in a trike and would like to stay on 2 wheels so I'm sure theirs something out their that will get the job done but I'm not rushing into it right now.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Vito ~ Lots of excellent ideas above, but for sure, wait til ya feel better, weather is better and make a grand decision. I agree that a Trike is not the same, but to each their own.
I'm about to turn 65, have been riding bikes since 1973, and "Self-Preservation" mode is kicking in, so I take much less chances.

I'm also in the ChicagoLand area and used to be a member of IL-Z2, but I've been out of it for a couple of years. I attended meetings off and on, as I'm recently retired, and working 24/7, 365 doesn't lend much time for fun with retirees and such. My shifts changed so often, that I worked all 3 shifts over a 5 week period, eves and mids 7 days in a row.

I didn't joine GWRRA this year, but maybe next, however, if you're in the near western suburbs, they meet in Oakbrook Terrace monthly on Sundays @ Denny's on Cermak Rd (22nd st)

Great bunch of folks if you're interested, or maybe you already know....

IL-Z2 GWRRA

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Well I can say that I'm now 69 years old, and after a major seizure at the "Darkside Rally" last year (UNCLE JOHN HELP SAVE MY LIFE) I did indeed trike out my 2010, and all I can say is that I will never look back, it was the best decision that I ever made....I can continue on riding, when ever and where ever! yes it's a different ride but once I got used to it, all's I can say is that I love it.

Thank you again Uncle John for all your help! The other gentleman that help me just passed away a few months ago,

Ronnie

·
Registered
364 Posts
I came from riding Harleys. My girlfriend and I took many long trips on a 92 Heritage and 03 Road King. In 2013 I purchased an F6B (in my mid 50's at the time). Long distance riding was so much easier and more enjoyable on the F6B. We were riding more than ever before with the capability and comfort of the F6B.

Fast forward to 2018 and I traded for the new Goldwing Standard DCT at age 60. The new Goldwing is more agile and feels a lot lighter than the earlier Goldwings. Even 2-up with 50 pounds of luggage on the rear luggage rack the bike does not feel top heavy. Only downside is if you have a shorter inseam (which I don't) is the new bike's seat height is slightly higher.

You don't realize how much of your mental capacity is consumed managing a manual transmission until you have ridden the DCT for a while. A lot more mental time available to monitor your surroundings (increased safety) and to just enjoy riding (increased enjoyment).

I figure my move to the new Goldwing might extend my 2 wheel touring future by 10 years compared to if I were riding big Iron from Harley or Indian. I actually have friends that drive their cars to Bike Night because it's so much of a hassle to get that big bike out of the Garage for short trips.

Don't know what I'll do when I get to the point where the new bike feels like too much to handle on long trips? Hopefully I have more than a few years to go before crossing that bridge.

·
Registered
780 Posts
You make a trike conversion sound like it's a death sentence. No offense. I have had a trike for 5 years now and love. It is the best of both worlds really. The luxury of the GW and the ease of riding. Yes indeed it is a different experience and unlike riding on two wheels. To resolve that issue I bought a new 2014 Triumph Thunderbird. What a fantastic bike! Point is, there are options. And as already mentioned, don't do something foolish while you are feeling down. Hope you get better and keep riding. Remember your age is just a number.(y)

·
Registered
817 Posts
I'm only 60 and in good health and fitness (doing the Galveston Iron Man in April). However, you never know what's around the corner, so I've watched and looked at trike conversions for when the day comes. I don't know if Tilting Motors will still be around when I need a conversion, but that's the conversion I will go with (with the auto-upright option).

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
At 67, the GL1800 is still working out, but I have thought about down the road when the weight becomes too much. On one hand, it is definitely on old man's bike; smooth, reliable, minimal maintenance required, and comfortable for tank to tank rides. Also, I have mentally rehearsed many times to just let it fall, it if ever gets too far off balance in a parking lot. But when I don't feel safe anymore, it will be time to let it go, though hopefully not for awhile yet. When that time comes, I will likely go back to an older BMW boxer airhead. I know it will be going backward several decades in technology, but it will also be a heck of a nostalgic kick. Kinda like driving an old Studebaker (1956 Golden Hawk) that is the same year/model I drove in high school.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've only had a Goldwing for going on 4 years, but at 76 I find I have been thinking a lot about where to go where I have to admit that I am no longer up to handling this 900 pound bike. Sitting here today with a bad case of the flu, making me feel every bit of my 76 years, makes me even more sure that the day will come when I will face one of two choices: go to a trike or accept riding a much lighter and easier to handle motorcycle, even if that means giving up so much of the luxury that I am now used to. Triking a Goldwing has some appeal, but after having a chance to ride a trike last summer, albeit only for a very short ride, made me realize that a trike is a very different experience from riding a motorcycle. So assuming I am recovered enough by this weekend to no longer be contagious, I plan on going to the motorcycle show in Chicago and at least getting to sit on some of the possibilities for my post-Goldwing days. Being a former Triumph rider, the Street Twin has a lot of appeal, as a "standard" that reminds me a bit of the old Honda Nighthawk 750. The Honda CB500F is another possibility, and there probably are a few more that meet my criteria of being light, having a low enough seat for my 30 inch inseam, and having enough capability for some time riding on the Interstate. There's nothing like getting really ill at 76 to focus one's mind on aging and mortality, but I am a long way from even thinking about giving up riding.
Vito! Feel better soon!

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
I agree with the thought of wait till you feel better to make decisions.. I retire in a few months. Last year I found myself making extreme plans on down sizing , selling off stuff. My wife retires in about 14 months. This house is too large, on 1 acre to care for.. So I got out on old white board and started writing down ideas on retirement locations and plans. Wife was much happier with that too. I also have the "age & body thing" on my mind for the Goldwing, I am only 66 yr old now, arthritis is trying to mess up my riding plans on 2 wheels.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
What type of riding you do?

Match the bike to what you really do most of the time.

If your mostly doing multi day tours 2 up then get a trike.

If not, then downsize. A wing is a very comfortable overkill for one up short day trips with friends. Don’t over estimate how much fun a lighter bike can be. It’s less effort all around to handle and you will likely use it more.

·
Registered
77 Posts
...and start using the treadmill ?? my daughter harps at me to get on the treadmill, so I guess I will do that....
Don't forget ATGATT on that treadmill. I was doing a fast walk 4 mph mid January when I needed to sneeze. I thought I am so used to this pace just keep going. Ahhh... aaaahhhh… Choooo. Turn out when you sneeze you stop so the treadmill threw me off the back. Cause the most damage I have had in 50 years of riding. Wrist, back, foot. After a week of my heel hurting I went to Emergency and DR says she sees a lot of treadmill injuries and recommends against them. I am now hobbled for a month.

G.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts