GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
I will be 63 this year, and came to a Wing from an ST1100 last April. I still marvel at how much easier the Wing is to handle than the ST.

I have a Versys 300 that is even easier.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Last year, we bought a little Toy Hauler and loaded the 1800 in the back...
Oops!!! the trailer started Wig Wagging bad!!! holy cow, is my Colorado Springs vacation trip going to be canceled, or just leave the bike home?

did a lot of experimenting, moved all of the heavy items to the bathroom up front, spare tire, tools, duffel bags, electronics, etc. and bought two sets of Sway Bars and paid to get those welded onto the truck's equalizer hitch.... finally tamed the beast, but it was not enough, over 45 mph and wig wag.

Filled the black tank, grey tank, freshwater tanks, added 240 gallons of water to the front side of the dual axles, and finally the whole rig settled down, and we could drive 55 mph w/o fear of the truck heading for the ditch.

2,000 miles later, said the 1800 can't go with us anymore, we need a scooter.....
within a few weeks, we found one, a Piaggio MP3 dual front wheel 250cc auto-tranny.
weighs 440 lbs, the toy hauler is happy now.
Bet you mine is smaller.....(said no man ever). Talking about the Toy Hauler of course. Actually, the way you talk it sounds big. We used to have an aluminum frame Livin Lite that was 2700 lbs empty with a total of 4400 lbs. We were still able to get the Wing and all the camping supplies into it. Left the fresh, gray and blank tanks empty and even had the Wing down to a quarter tank. Towed it with a Toyota Highlander and never had a problem (followed the rules about defeating OD and easily kept up with freeway traffic). Certainly getting all the weight in front of the axles helps (as you noticed) but a good weight distribution/sway control hitch also helps (in our case it is the Blue Ox). Never had sway problems. The only thing we ever noticed is if a truck ever passed us (rare since I drove faster than them most of the time) I would feel the Toy Hauler get pushed out which in turn pushed the Highlander toward the truck by just a bit (kind of the opposite of what you would expect).

Also agree about scooters. We ride with a 77 year old guy who now rides a Yamaha Morphus 250 and he can keep up with us on the freeway. Same friend also has a GL1000 from 1976 and another from 1977 but doesn't like to pull in the clutch all the time and throw all that weight around. We do all day, 250-300 mile rides frequently (just did one during the MLK weekend).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Back to Vito who started the thread; yes I kind of hijacked the thread a little and I'm sorry. However what I said about my friend on the scooter still applies to your topic. We hope you are feeling better.

Recently I had a palm tree fall on me. I was off the bike for close to two months. That first ride after recover was very special. I am all good now. However I understand we all age and even though I'm only 56 I certain don't exercise like I did while on active duty anymore. Here are pictures of my misfortune so everyone can laugh (we laugh at each other's misfortune at work) by the way they are all selfies, I was pinned for a while and certainly wasn't going anywhere.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Back to Vito who started the thread; yes I kind of hijacked the thread a little and I'm sorry. However what I said about my friend on the scooter still applies to your topic. We hope you are feeling better.

Recently I had a palm tree fall on me. I was off the bike for close to two months. That first ride after recover was very special. I am all good now. However I understand we all age and even though I'm only 56 I certain don't exercise like I did while on active duty anymore. Here are pictures of my misfortune so everyone can laugh (we laugh at each other's misfortune at work) by the way they are all selfies, I was pinned for a while and certainly wasn't going anywhere.
Big Ouch! Hope u a speedy recovery!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Bet you mine is smaller.....(said no man ever). Talking about the Toy Hauler of course. Actually, the way you talk it sounds big.
We used to have an aluminum frame Livin Lite that was 2700 lbs empty with a total of 4400 lbs. We were still able to get the Wing and all the camping supplies into it. Left the fresh, gray and blank tanks empty and even had the Wing down to a quarter tank. Towed it with a Toyota Highlander and never had a problem (followed the rules about defeating OD and easily kept up with freeway traffic). Certainly getting all the weight in front of the axles helps (as you noticed) but a good weight distribution/sway control hitch also helps (in our case it is the Blue Ox). Never had sway problems. The only thing we ever noticed is if a truck ever passed us (rare since I drove faster than them most of the time) I would feel the Toy Hauler get pushed out which in turn pushed the Highlander toward the truck by just a bit (kind of the opposite of what you would expect).
I should have better explained the problem with my 26' Weekend Warrior toy hauler.
the guy I bought it from, ordered it with 26" wide pass through door to the main cabin.
the trailer as originally designed was supposed to have the bike centered over the dual axles.
There are 4 tie down eyebolts welded to the frame in the center of the cabin. Useless to me though.

the PO's redesign caused the 'garage' to only be 96" from front wall to ramp door when closed.
that placed the 1800 about six feet behind the rear axle. Can you say stupid?? He must have been hauling little ATVs, not heavy bikes.

the trailer grosses at 7700 lbs empty, put a 900# bike on the tail end of a bumper pull trailer and you have a disaster in the making. I had to park the bike at a 30 degree angle from front left corner of garage to right rear of the garage..... rear wheel about 20 inches from the right side wall. The rear fender/trunk only had about 6 inches clearance to the ramp/door even at an angle.

My tow vehicle is a 2001 K1500 4x4 Suburban with a factory receiver hitch.
I installed dual sway bars in addition to the Equalizer Bars. As you can see, I moved the spare tire from the garage to the tongue. It used to be bolted under the rear of the TT.

The tongue jack is brand new, will lift 5,000 lbs easily w/o slowing down.
Needed that to put the Equalizer bars on.
There are two huge Deep Cycle batteries behind that tire. can you say heavy? helped the rig though.

this pix was taken at a campground 30 miles south of Colorado Springs, CO.
Lovely campground, would go back in a heart beat, with the scooter :)

With the scooter, and revamped weight balance, I can run with 30-40 gallons of fresh water in the tank for the toilet. We never drink water from the faucets. Bottled water only.
the whole rig as rebalanced with the Scooter, went from home/Oologah OK to Manassas, FL to Sarasota, SC to Atlanta, GA to home again w/o Wig Wagging. that was a relief:
.... We always planned our stop overs at 2-3 PM.

I always set the Cruise Control at 55 mph, push it to 62+ and MPG drops like a lead weight.
I bought an Engine Tuner and reprogrammed the engine/tranny for Torque at low RPMs, made a huge difference in pulling ability for that truck.

The Suburban has Air Bags in the rear coil springs, and new Monroe Air Shocks rated at 150 psi, literature advised to not exceed 80 psi while in use.... that happened to level the whole rig.

Click on the pix in my signature, and you can see the Scooter is more suited for the Toy Hauler as it is now..... I have considered replacing the walk-through door with one that is 39" wide or more, that would let the 1800 go into the cabin between the fold up beds.
the overhead above the bike, is a full queen size sleeping area...

·
Registered
571 Posts
Take a look at the 2020 Can Am RT Limited. Complete redesign.
I had that thought as well when I start reading this thread, so good for you Murph for getting it in. I'm reading a lot of good stuff about the 2020 RTL, one in particular is the 47 gallon storage, up from 41. I'm gonna watch this for a while and see what new buyers think about this upgraded machine.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I had developed back and hip problems and my wife was getting nervous riding on the back during slow speed maneuvers. Micopegs kept me on two wheels for a few years more. I bought a Porsche for the day I couldn't ride the wing anymore, but kept the wing just in case. Loved the car, but my wife and I had a serious discussion and neither of us wanted to stop riding the wing, so I triked the wing and kept the Porsche, just in case. Four years and a hip replacement later I sold the Porsche.
We love the 1800 trike whether it be short lunch rides or touring. We both agreed it is the best thing we have done together and we are not willing to give it up.
The only thing you lose when you trike is leaning in the curves. What you get is stability and awesome u-turns. Going down the road, looking out over the bars, there is no difference in the experience. We're still out there in the wind doing what we love.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Great discussion and I think everyone of us has either seriously thought about it or know it will be coming. I just turned 64 and plan to retire in a year or so. I hope we have a few more years to go as we are then able to ride a bit more than we have been. I generally ride with my wife on the back and I have told her that if she ever feels unsafe or she thinks that I am "loosing it a bit", to let me know and we'll figure something out. Big, big difference in riding solo or two up and loaded down. But it sure makes me feel good to hear about all the guys who are in their 70's and still riding. 😁

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Best advice I have seen here is "to wait until you feel better to make a decision".
I had spinal fusion surgery a year ago and felt so bad that there is now a sidecar rig out in the garage.
Unfortunately it's a carbureted '98 so it's costing a lot to get it right.
Fast forward a year and I am now back riding my GW and my Valkyrie and not thinking about holding them up.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I rode a Can Am several years ago and it wasn't a bad ride at all. 66 years old here and will go that route when no longer on a GW. I do have a 2018 DCT Tour now and it's MUCH easier to move around. You can really feel the lighter weight. Goes on the center stand much easier also.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've only had a Goldwing for going on 4 years, but at 76 I find I have been thinking a lot about where to go where I have to admit that I am no longer up to handling this 900 pound bike. Sitting here today with a bad case of the flu, making me feel every bit of my 76 years, makes me even more sure that the day will come when I will face one of two choices: go to a trike or accept riding a much lighter and easier to handle motorcycle, even if that means giving up so much of the luxury that I am now used to. Triking a Goldwing has some appeal, but after having a chance to ride a trike last summer, albeit only for a very short ride, made me realize that a trike is a very different experience from riding a motorcycle. So assuming I am recovered enough by this weekend to no longer be contagious, I plan on going to the motorcycle show in Chicago and at least getting to sit on some of the possibilities for my post-Goldwing days. Being a former Triumph rider, the Street Twin has a lot of appeal, as a "standard" that reminds me a bit of the old Honda Nighthawk 750. The Honda CB500F is another possibility, and there probably are a few more that meet my criteria of being light, having a low enough seat for my 30 inch inseam, and having enough capability for some time riding on the Interstate. There's nothing like getting really ill at 76 to focus one's mind on aging and mortality, but I am a long way from even thinking about giving up riding.
Have you checked this out?
www.tiltingmotorworks.com
Tilting Motor Works: Trike Motorcycle - 3 Wheel Motorcycle

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've only had a Goldwing for going on 4 years, but at 76 I find I have been thinking a lot about where to go where I have to admit that I am no longer up to handling this 900 pound bike. Sitting here today with a bad case of the flu, making me feel every bit of my 76 years, makes me even more sure that the day will come when I will face one of two choices: go to a trike or accept riding a much lighter and easier to handle motorcycle, even if that means giving up so much of the luxury that I am now used to. Triking a Goldwing has some appeal, but after having a chance to ride a trike last summer, albeit only for a very short ride, made me realize that a trike is a very different experience from riding a motorcycle. So assuming I am recovered enough by this weekend to no longer be contagious, I plan on going to the motorcycle show in Chicago and at least getting to sit on some of the possibilities for my post-Goldwing days. Being a former Triumph rider, the Street Twin has a lot of appeal, as a "standard" that reminds me a bit of the old Honda Nighthawk 750. The Honda CB500F is another possibility, and there probably are a few more that meet my criteria of being light, having a low enough seat for my 30 inch inseam, and having enough capability for some time riding on the Interstate. There's nothing like getting really ill at 76 to focus one's mind on aging and mortality, but I am a long way from even thinking about giving up riding.
I turned 78 last week. Riding my 2018 GW Tour reminds me of riding the 650s and 750s in the 1960 & 1970 because of the easy way that it handles - especially at slow in-town speeds. I take it a little easier than I did 50 years ago, but it really is as easy to ride as the 400 pound bikes.Wear good clothing, be careful, and enjoy as long as it's enjoyable.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Man, whatta a thread!!

I am gonna have to throw in my particulars in this over-the-hill gangster bunch

I am 74, back on a wing from another RT. I got my first bike in '63. I must admit, it is beginning to feel heavier than it used to. I exercise quite a bit, but old is as old does.

My suggestion for when the Wing gets overwhelmingly heavy is an RT. They are very agile, much lighter, and offer a great deal of protection--better than the new Wings.

Welcome to "old-fartness" you all!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a Silver Wing. Had a blast doing four round trips Florida to Alaska. Nice and nimble. Can do 70+ MPH all day long.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I turned 78 last week. Riding my 2018 GW Tour reminds me of riding the 650s and 750s in the 1960 & 1970 because of the easy way that it handles - especially at slow in-town speeds. I take it a little easier than I did 50 years ago, but it really is as easy to ride as the 400 pound bikes.Wear good clothing, be careful, and enjoy as long as it's enjoyable.
Great to hear you are still enjoying the ride! Ride on Brother!:cool:

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I should have better explained the problem with my 26' Weekend Warrior toy hauler.
the guy I bought it from, ordered it with 26" wide pass through door to the main cabin.
the trailer as originally designed was supposed to have the bike centered over the dual axles.
There are 4 tie down eyebolts welded to the frame in the center of the cabin. Useless to me though.

the PO's redesign caused the 'garage' to only be 96" from front wall to ramp door when closed.
that placed the 1800 about six feet behind the rear axle. Can you say stupid?? He must have been hauling little ATVs, not heavy bikes.

the trailer grosses at 7700 lbs empty, put a 900# bike on the tail end of a bumper pull trailer and you have a disaster in the making. I had to park the bike at a 30 degree angle from front left corner of garage to right rear of the garage..... rear wheel about 20 inches from the right side wall. The rear fender/trunk only had about 6 inches clearance to the ramp/door even at an angle.

My tow vehicle is a 2001 K1500 4x4 Suburban with a factory receiver hitch.
I installed dual sway bars in addition to the Equalizer Bars. As you can see, I moved the spare tire from the garage to the tongue. It used to be bolted under the rear of the TT.

The tongue jack is brand new, will lift 5,000 lbs easily w/o slowing down.
Needed that to put the Equalizer bars on.
There are two huge Deep Cycle batteries behind that tire. can you say heavy? helped the rig though.

this pix was taken at a campground 30 miles south of Colorado Springs, CO.
Lovely campground, would go back in a heart beat, with the scooter :)

With the scooter, and revamped weight balance, I can run with 30-40 gallons of fresh water in the tank for the toilet. We never drink water from the faucets. Bottled water only.
the whole rig as rebalanced with the Scooter, went from home/Oologah OK to Manassas, FL to Sarasota, SC to Atlanta, GA to home again w/o Wig Wagging. that was a relief:
.... We always planned our stop overs at 2-3 PM.

I always set the Cruise Control at 55 mph, push it to 62+ and MPG drops like a lead weight.
I bought an Engine Tuner and reprogrammed the engine/tranny for Torque at low RPMs, made a huge difference in pulling ability for that truck.

The Suburban has Air Bags in the rear coil springs, and new Monroe Air Shocks rated at 150 psi, literature advised to not exceed 80 psi while in use.... that happened to level the whole rig.

Click on the pix in my signature, and you can see the Scooter is more suited for the Toy Hauler as it is now..... I have considered replacing the walk-through door with one that is 39" wide or more, that would let the 1800 go into the cabin between the fold up beds.
the overhead above the bike, is a full queen size sleeping area...
You have a very nice setup. Those rear bedroom/garages are certainly made for little dirt bikes or ATVs as you already stated. Your proposed door modification to move the bike farther forward sounds like a good idea. I was lucky to be able to park very far forward in the kitchen. I had to make one special modification to keep my bike from going too far forward. Simple but functional as seen in the picture. I'm not sure what would have happened if I didn't make that setup or if the setup ever made any difference. Darn neighborhood association didn't like how tall our rig was so now we have an A-Frame popup (Forest River's take on the Aliner) and when we get to the mountains we rent from Eagle Rider. We miss the old Toyhauler.

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Strongly consider a sidecar Weight becomes meaningless. Especially with an easy steer front end.

Robert

·
Registered
48 Posts
Buy a nice Honda S2000. As much fun as a trike but if it starts to rain put the top up.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts