GL1800Riders Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've only had a Goldwing for going on 4 years, but at 76 I find I have been thinking a lot about where to go where I have to admit that I am no longer up to handling this 900 pound bike. Sitting here today with a bad case of the flu, making me feel every bit of my 76 years, makes me even more sure that the day will come when I will face one of two choices: go to a trike or accept riding a much lighter and easier to handle motorcycle, even if that means giving up so much of the luxury that I am now used to. Triking a Goldwing has some appeal, but after having a chance to ride a trike last summer, albeit only for a very short ride, made me realize that a trike is a very different experience from riding a motorcycle. So assuming I am recovered enough by this weekend to no longer be contagious, I plan on going to the motorcycle show in Chicago and at least getting to sit on some of the possibilities for my post-Goldwing days. Being a former Triumph rider, the Street Twin has a lot of appeal, as a "standard" that reminds me a bit of the old Honda Nighthawk 750. The Honda CB500F is another possibility, and there probably are a few more that meet my criteria of being light, having a low enough seat for my 30 inch inseam, and having enough capability for some time riding on the Interstate. There's nothing like getting really ill at 76 to focus one's mind on aging and mortality, but I am a long way from even thinking about giving up riding.
A few years ago, I too had to make that: “quit riding/down scale/or trike decision. I am now on my second trike and absolutely love it. As you pointed out, there is a learning curve, for me the transition to my Gold Wing/CSC trike was minimal. The biggest thing to remember is rather than leaning (2 wheeler) into a turn, you push & pull (trike) into the turn. My CSC conversion has “PowerTrak” which is a 6* rake and makes a huge difference. Granted, triking requires a little more effort than 2-wheel’en but it’s just a matter of getting accustom to.

My suggestion would be to ride as many different conversions as possible, spend some time over in the trike sub-section of this forum and ask a lot of questions.
Good luck with your decision,
Jim

·
Registered
87 Posts
Take a look at the 2020 Can Am RT Limited. Complete redesign.
I too considered going to a Spyder (70 yo) but I've been following their forum lately. It seems they have some technical issues that can't seem to be fixed and their mechanics are not very well trained or experienced on the new technology of the machine. Issues have to do with the PCM and other onboard computer gadgets that cost upwards of $1500 to get them fixed if not under warranty. Check out Can Am Spyder forum (s) to get more info. So far I can handle the Gold Wing and my Electra Glide, but when the time comes I'll have to come to a hard decision before I hurt myself or my wife. Been riding since I was 14 and my wife has been riding with me since 1970, 50 years. I never caused a scratch on either one of us while riding and I hope to keep it that way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've only had a Goldwing for going on 4 years, but at 76 I find I have been thinking a lot about where to go where I have to admit that I am no longer up to handling this 900 pound bike. Sitting here today with a bad case of the flu, making me feel every bit of my 76 years, makes me even more sure that the day will come when I will face one of two choices: go to a trike or accept riding a much lighter and easier to handle motorcycle, even if that means giving up so much of the luxury that I am now used to. Triking a Goldwing has some appeal, but after having a chance to ride a trike last summer, albeit only for a very short ride, made me realize that a trike is a very different experience from riding a motorcycle. So assuming I am recovered enough by this weekend to no longer be contagious, I plan on going to the motorcycle show in Chicago and at least getting to sit on some of the possibilities for my post-Goldwing days. Being a former Triumph rider, the Street Twin has a lot of appeal, as a "standard" that reminds me a bit of the old Honda Nighthawk 750. The Honda CB500F is another possibility, and there probably are a few more that meet my criteria of being light, having a low enough seat for my 30 inch inseam, and having enough capability for some time riding on the Interstate. There's nothing like getting really ill at 76 to focus one's mind on aging and mortality, but I am a long way from even thinking about giving up riding.

·
Registered
14 Posts
A few years ago, I too had to make that: “quit riding/down scale/or trike decision. I am now on my second trike and absolutely love it. As you pointed out, there is a learning curve, for me the transition to my Gold Wing/CSC trike was minimal. The biggest thing to remember is rather than leaning (2 wheeler) into a turn, you push & pull (trike) into the turn. My CSC conversion has “PowerTrak” which is a 6* rake and makes a huge difference. Granted, triking requires a little more effort than 2-wheel’en but it’s just a matter of getting accustom to.

My suggestion would be to ride as many different conversions as possible, spend some time over in the trike sub-section of this forum and ask a lot of questions.
Good luck with your decision,
Jim
I'm about 10 years younger than you and just "upgraded" from an BMW r1200RT to a 2018 Gold Wing tour. Both bikes are excellent tourers but if lightness is one of you top criteria the RT weighs in at 604 lbs with includes panniers and fluids. And if you're not on a long trip the paniers pop off in seconds pobably dropping weight another 20 lbs. I have my 2014 R1200RT with 27K miles for sale if interested.;)

·
Registered
7,417 Posts
Geo could you pm me pictures of your 2014 R1200RT

·
Registered
1 Posts
Vito~
I hear ya man! I recently dropped my 1800 twice in one day and decided I gotta get something smaller. Can't give up the shaft drive though. So I went looking for decent sized engines (750 cc min) with low seats (under 30") that weighed less than the beloved wings (600 ish pounds). In the search I came across an '07 Shadow Saber with 32K miles that was showroom clean and I bought it. Here's what you have to accept. ANY move from a wing is a move down. What you and I are looking at is a GIANT move down. BUT. It will allow us to keep riding. Mine has a windshield (that should be more appropriately described in the British fashion of a "fly screen" since it doesn't do what a winger thinks of as shielding wind) Long story less long, I am happy with my choice and recommend the Shadow line of Hondas for you. There is a fairly steep "acceptance" curve but I'm getting there and I actually like this little guy. Hard to remember when 1100 cc's was considered a big bike. Anyway, look at the Honda Shadow forum and you'll get some good ideas. And good luck.
LJ

·
Registered
10 Posts
Look at a Suzuki Burgman 650. Big enough for 2 people scoots along very well for a 650cc and cvt transmission so no shifting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Vito,
This is part of my fleet ... I have trouble selling my toys. I’m 66 & ride 2 up most of the time. The white wing is an ‘08 ....love this bike but like you say, the weight is an issue, especially with my chicken legs. I bought the ‘01 trike about 7 years ago, anticipating getting to a point where the heavy machine would be an issue. Started riding the trike just about full time now. Like you say, it’s little different ride, but becomes second nature in no time. Still have the gold wing luxury. I also love the Suzuki Burgman 650 for running errands & quick trips for ice cream. Great scooter, lots of storage under the seat, electric windshiel, no clutch, etc. I suggest you look for an older wing trike for long rides & maybe something smaller to mess around with. . D9AFE4C4-BA82-4C0B-8766-9C5116A2C6E5.jpeg 0DC947D6-7F8B-4DF5-96E6-44E27A998CB8.jpeg 5F38CB30-1FDB-4C9C-A51C-38E391394997.jpeg

·
Registered
6 Posts
I enjoyed my Goldwing until I had a small accident and could not manage the weight. Told my wife that I was going to trike it and she said "I can't see you a two wheeler." I made the switch and now I'm on my second Goldwing trike. At 79 I still do the Run For The Wall every May. (East Texas to Ontario, California to Washington DC to East Texas.) I also do the Patriate Guards and belong to a small group just so we don't have to ride alone. I plan on riding until either my Goldwing wears out or I wear out. By the way, I also have a 750 Shadow for short rides and my wife has a CanAm Spyder. What ever your decision, enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Look at a Suzuki Burgman 650. Big enough for 2 people scoots along very well for a 650cc and cvt transmission so no shifting.
I used to own and ride a Honda Helix 250cc scooter. My former boss was being transferred out of state and couldn’t take it with him, so I bought it for half what it was worth. I used to commute to work 24 miles away, and that thing would cruise up to 75 mph all day long. I can’t imagine what one with 650cc would be like, but it’s something I might would consider if my wife decides to give up riding. For now, we’re both thoroughly enjoying our trike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Good for you!! Ride on!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Although I am just 66, I am curious about the aging process and seeking opinions from some of the mature members. I am moving back to Goldwing from a furlough of 25 years on Honda Shadow, and the major reason is safety. As my abilities taper, I consider supplementing them with a modern motorcycles inherent safety features.

Riding requires a lot of ability: Balance, vision. strength, stamina, general health, so I am wondering what goes first?

·
Registered
7,417 Posts
Riding requires a lot of ability: Balance, vision. strength, stamina, general health, so I am wondering what goes first?

All of the above. Sorry the :devilish: made me say it. For me it's a combination of balance & strength that I have noticed diminishing.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Although I am just 66, I am curious about the aging process and seeking opinions from some of the mature members. I am moving back to Goldwing from a furlough of 25 years on Honda Shadow, and the major reason is safety. As my abilities taper, I consider supplementing them with a modern motorcycles inherent safety features.

I'm 72. For me, it's stamina. Can't...or don't want to...do the 500 mile days anymore.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts