GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After about 9k miles my E3 was gone and with the load I carry (2up, lotsa gear, trailer) I decided to try the darkside. After looking around for a bit I decided to go with the Conti 195/65 (the only 195/65 I could find) because I wanted to correct the speedo and raise the effctive gear ratio to a level that I think would better fit the wide open Texas roads.
This tire did correct the speedo to within 1-2 MPH and I really like the lowered RPM's at cruising speed. First gear seems much more usable too-not so jerky and sensitive.
What I didn't expect, and have never read about anyone experincing is, the "moving around" feeling. This happens at pretty much all speeds and I initially thought that perhaps a tire went flat (I mounted it the night before). After the first few blocks I pulled over expecting to find a low tire, but after determining that both were properly inflated I decided to hit the highway and see how she handled.
I like the way it corners. I've read where others have described the need to counter-steer, but I found steering to require about the same input, but it does seem more responsive. I also think that the ride is smoother, less jaring on those neglected backroads.
But as I mentioned, this thing now feels loose, like it's moving around on the back end. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Does it go away with wear? Either way, I'm going to give it some time, perhaps I'll get used to it, but it is a little eery.
Also, clearance is a bit of an issue, but I expected that and I believe I can work around it.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Tail kick. On roads with dips and valleys. High crowned roads and places such as road work where the road is all torn up .

I can only convey my own experience. I tried several regular CT's and did not like them at all. If I had not found the Kumho Run Flat I would never have liked the CT deal.

I cannot speak for other Brands but with the Kumho the only tail kick you get is at low speeds. Once over about 15 mph it is not an issue, really not an issue anyway as one just learns if you see a dip and it is at a stoplight, just ride into it to begin with, then it does not kick to the low side. Other times a simple shift of your weight will take care of it.

Sometimes on a very high crowned road you will get a constant pull to the right at lower speeds, but as you get up to regular speed, that all goes away too.

Some fellows are trying out a 175/60/16 and are quite happy with the lack of tail kick. I am watching them closely, I may have to go buy one and try it myself.

Kit

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
If that Conti is not a Run Flat, that could explain what you're feeling.

Run Flat is the only way to go.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I believe in general, the softer the sidewalls and the wider the tire will cause more movement of the bike on uneven roads. That is why most will agree that the run-flat tires are more desirable than the non-run flat tires. I have run a number of non-run flat tires on the valkyrie interstate and they all seem to give you the movement you claim. The only tire I have found that is the size you want that does not have as much movement is the Vanco tire. Even though it is not a run-flat it has very stiff side walls becasuse it is a load rated tire with a load rating of over 2000 lbs. This fact makes it very similar to a run flat tire. You can find this tire in a 195/65 but most has found that it rubs a little on the swing arm. There are several threads here explaining how they cured this problem but for me I really didn't like the solutions. With run-flats on the wing the rear movement is much less. When I went to the 175/60 run flat tire the movement is virtually gone.

The tire size you chose (195/65) can not be had in a run-flat version because of the height of the side wall. With a more supple sidewall you will get the movement you are feeling. I believe that is why most go with the 195/55 in a run-flat version and what ever brand they choose. Of course, these tires do not correct the speedo error or increase the gearing ratio.

IMHO, get a yellow box or speed-o-healer to correct the speedo, get a run flat tire in a 195/55 or 175/60 and forget about the gearing of the wing. Enjoy the benefits of the CT with way less of the negatives.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I believe in general, the softer the sidewalls and the wider the tire will cause more movement of the bike on uneven roads. That is why most will agree that the run-flat tires are more desirable than the non-run flat tires. I have run a number of non-run flat tires on the valkyrie interstate and they all seem to give you the movement you claim. The only tire I have found that is the size you want that does not have as much movement is the Vanco tire. Even though it is not a run-flat it has very stiff side walls becasuse it is a load rated tire with a load rating of over 2000 lbs. This fact makes it very similar to a run flat tire. You can find this tire in a 195/65 but most has found that it rubs a little on the swing arm. There are several threads here explaining how they cured this problem but for me I really didn't like the solutions. With run-flats on the wing the rear movement is much less. When I went to the 175/60 run flat tire the movement is virtually gone.

The tire size you chose (195/65) can not be had in a run-flat version because of the height of the side wall. With a more supple sidewall you will get the movement you are feeling. I believe that is why most go with the 195/55 in a run-flat version and what ever brand they choose. Of course, these tires do not correct the speedo error or increase the gearing ratio.

IMHO, get a yellow box or speed-o-healer to correct the speedo, get a run flat tire in a 195/55 or 175/60 and forget about the gearing of the wing. Enjoy the benefits of the CT with way less of the negatives.
+ One .. Great info and advice... Cheers...:doorag:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts