GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My report on my Continental ContiProContact SSR 195/55/16 with just a little over 7,000 miles on it. I started out at 33 lbs, and then settled at 30 lbs when riding solo. Riding two-up I use 33 lbs pressure. Both my wife and I are “well nourished”, so you skinning types probable would get by at 30 all the time.
I frequently explore forest roads and found at 30 lbs I get tossed around a lot on the rough roads. 35-36 lbs works much better. This is solo riding.
The tired wore 3 mm in those 7,000 miles, even 6mm across the tire, so the air pressures I am using appears to be about right.
Handling wise, I like it. I can lean it either side until the pegs are scrapping with no problems. This is with the suspension set at 12 (pre-load adjuster filled). No problems in the rain, feels as good as the Metzler’s did.

I also have 7,000 miles on the front tire, a Bridgestone Battle Ax BT45 130/70-18. It is wearing just fine, even across and no evidence of cupping. I still have the original stock steering bearings, which are fine. I did asked my dealer to check the bearings and they reported the bearings were good and didn’t see any reason to replace them, unless I just had to spend money. I took his advice. I think I might just replace both the steering bearings and front wheel bearings this summer, just for peace of mind.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Contipro

Wingin,
Any problems or issues getting the tire on the bike?
Do you remember where purchased and how much the conti and Battle Ax were?

Thanks,
Jerry

My report on my Continental ContiProContact SSR 195/55/16 with just a little over 7,000 miles on it. I started out at 33 lbs, and then settled at 30 lbs when riding solo. Riding two-up I use 33 lbs pressure. Both my wife and I are “well nourished”, so you skinning types probable would get by at 30 all the time.
I frequently explore forest roads and found at 30 lbs I get tossed around a lot on the rough roads. 35-36 lbs works much better. This is solo riding.
The tired wore 3 mm in those 7,000 miles, even 6mm across the tire, so the air pressures I am using appears to be about right.
Handling wise, I like it. I can lean it either side until the pegs are scrapping with no problems. This is with the suspension set at 12 (pre-load adjuster filled). No problems in the rain, feels as good as the Metzler’s did.

I also have 7,000 miles on the front tire, a Bridgestone Battle Ax BT45 130/70-18. It is wearing just fine, even across and no evidence of cupping. I still have the original stock steering bearings, which are fine. I did asked my dealer to check the bearings and they reported the bearings were good and didn’t see any reason to replace them, unless I just had to spend money. I took his advice. I think I might just replace both the steering bearings and front wheel bearings this summer, just for peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wingin,
Thanks,
Jerry
Jerry, I had to take the wheel & tire to three different tire shops before I found someone who would mount it. I tried telling each one that the wheel was a custom wheel from a trailer. The first two looked at it and told me it was off a Goldwing and couldn't mount it. The last place the guy stated he could mount the car tire, no problem. Afterward when I was paying for it he casually asked me what year my Goldwing was?
I purchased the car tire from the "Tire Rack"
http://www.tirerack.com/indexA.jsp
I forget how much I paid for it.

The front tire I purchased from my local Honda dealer. His price matched the best I could find on the Internet, plus if I purchased the tire from him they only charge $25.00 change the tire (ride in, wait an hour, ride out with new tire).

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wingin,
Thanks,
Jerry
I just re-read your question about getting the tire on the bike. Answer, no. I have a lift which makes it a little easier. The tire was a tight fit, I had to wiggle it into place as it rubbed past the swing arm, but it went in. My biggest problem was lifting it up onto the lug bolts. I have problems with one arm and laying on the cement trying to lift it in place was very tiring for me. I am thinking next time I will lay the bike over on it's right side to change out the tire. I am going to get another wheel so the new tire will be ready to go.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Conti

Wingin,

You were reading my mind. I was curious about the first question that you answered. That has been my concern. Buying the CT and then not being able to find anyone to mount it on the rim.

I remember seeing a post/article somewhere about laying the bike over to change the tire... I will run some searches.

Thanks Again!:thumbup:

I just re-read your question about getting the tire on the bike. Answer, no. I have a lift which makes it a little easier. The tire was a tight fit, I had to wiggle it into place as it rubbed past the swing arm, but it went in. My biggest problem was lifting it up onto the lug bolts. I have problems with one arm and laying on the cement trying to lift it in place was very tiring for me. I am thinking next time I will lay the bike over on it's right side to change out the tire. I am going to get another wheel so the new tire will be ready to go.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had similar results...

I had 14.5K on the Conti before I took it off. It still measures about 3/32 to the wear bars, with nice even wear all across the tread.

Nice tire all around.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Mounting CT

Look for shops that deal in the big custom truck tires and fancy custom cars. They will probably have a changer that can easily mount a CT.
The place that does mine can mount one in about 20 seconds.

·
Registered
33 Posts
payed 130.00 to the door from tire rack. went to small bike shop no problem getting tire mounted. layed bike on right side with a little dish soap on right side of tire no problem. I have 12,000 miles love the tire, best safety item i have put on any bike.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
18,000 on my Conti Pro 205/55-16 and have 5/32 left across the tread. I like the added height of the 205. 3 mph off at 75 mph.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
18,000 on my Conti Pro 205/55-16 and have 5/32 left across the tread. I like the added height of the 205. 3 mph off at 75 mph.
What air pressure did you use? I have been using 30psi when riding solo and 33-34psi when two up or traveling logging roads. Almost all of the riding on this tire so far as been with no passenger and very little logging roads. With summer coming finally I am thinking about leaving it at 34psi because of more off pavement & two up riding. The tire is wearing even across the thread and I don't want to have it wear out in the center because of too much pressure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts