GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys... Have read all the posts, all the great information, the humor, and am going to jump in with my question which is a little more involved.

I have several situations compounding my problem, but I refuse to give up. There's got to be answer, and I'm hoping you can help me. Here's the deal.

1.) Use to be 283 pounds - now 140lbs. It's great, i'm fit, healthy... except i used to be hot all the time and now I'm freezing all the time. I'm thinking if I can keep my hands and feet warm via electrical assistance, I should be able to work the rest with layers.

2.) I also have been diagnosed with Reynauld's syndrome, which is a situation where your fingers and toes loose circulation for sometimes unknown reasons, but especially the slightest cold. I can't even hold a cold can of soda without having white fingers. I have to wear gloves to keep my hands warm even in the house, because i can't afford to heat my house in the winter to 75 degrees. Rode to work today in 59 degree morning temp, and even with long gauntleted, heavily insulated gloves, my finger were numb before the 16 minute ride was over. (Why don't they make mittens????)

3.) I am very active in other outdoor activities... bicycle riding (oh yeah.. that "other bike"), walking, hiking, kayking, skiing, and would like to have warmth available for as many of those things as possible in one method.

4.) Don't really like the idea of being wired to my bike. I've torn off more than one headset cord because of the dang cable.

Ideally, i'd like to be able to waltz into a good dealer, who knows what the hell they're talking about, who can listen to my story, and make their best recommendation for my situation in an unbiased fashion (not use it to sell me what of their product line they can.) I live in Indianapolis Indiana, but don't know of anyone who would be well-rounded enough in all the products out there, including Gerbing, to fit this bill. I would be willing to drive as far as Louisville, Cincy, and possibly south-Chicago area to find the right place.

Basically I'm looking for the warmest hand and feet options, that can work for motorcycling, and yet be portable to different activities if possible.... and oh yeah... won't cost me an arm and a leg (for what they're worth!! (*grin*)). Hard-wired, battery powered.... so many options my head is spinning!

I want it all, don't I??? Guess y'all are saying "Typical woman!!"

Ok, guys.... let 'er rip!!

Julie
01 Pearl Yellow "her24gl"

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Have you called Gerbing? www.gerbing.com has a phone number and friendly staff. They are not rigid in their operation, so they might be able to help you.

Congrats on the weight loss, that's quite an accomplishment!

·
15 year Member
6,904 Posts
COLD HANDS

I would get the heated grips, either Honda or after market and I would install those off road cycle mud/stone guards that would totally protect your hands from any heat robbing air flow, even in warm temps exposed hands will loose warmth. Just an idea, not a science

Matt(Ashland,MA) 8)

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
there is a fellow on here ; shuckaduck ( Tim) that has some small plexiglas air sheilds for hands. they attach right at the grips...I do not know where he bought them.

With heated gloves or grips your hands should set. Tim says the sheilds work great for him.

Congrats on the weight loss. My daughter in law dropped from 270 to 136. She feels great again.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
I have some of thre heat warmers that I received working in the 2000 Olympics that I would be glad to send to you to try, they would work for outdoor activities ( walking, riding the bicycle)... I have the complete Gerbing set up and love it...I'm also a cold person of late ( don't know whats up with that, not as serrious as your) and the gloves are the best, yeah a little bulky, but they're warm, the jacket liner is the cats a$$, best investment I've made, also have the pants and socks, I don't use them as much, but the times that I did, they worked fantastic!!!!!!!!!

Gerbing makes a battery pack for other outdoor uses of the heated clothing and as for being hooked to the bike, I never found it to be a problem...I use a portable thermostat and it hooks and unhooks very neat...

Or, you always get a Harley like mine and keep warm :wink: ( see, we got a sense of humor)

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Julie - definitely install the heated grips and I would suggest the Electrical Connection brand since they have great value and the cost is significantly less than the Honda brand. You will still want to pursue the Gerbing heated gloves or liners. They are great in cold and wet weather (Gerbing gloves are waterproof and do well in very wet weather), although I get tired of all the wires and the hassle of putting the gloves on usually in adverse weather.

As far as the feet go, Gerbing also makes the heated socks and you can use them easily with the pants liner (get the jacket liner too). I'd recommend a dual station controller so you can regulate two different temperature zones and have more control over just how much heat goes to different areas.

Good luck and I hope these might help you enjoy your riding more.

http://www.electricalconnection.com/electrical-components/heated-grip-kits.htm

DaleC

·
Registered
589 Posts
My experience with heated grips are that the insides (palms) of your hands will be warmed. The backs of your hands will be cold. I had heated grips on a BMW and now my '06 Wing. I personally have not had Gerbing heated gloves but several people that have then swear by them. I would go with the heated gloves if I were you.

My wife and I have Gerbing heated liners. We have found that the best way to wear these is to wear them over a T shirt and layer on top of them. This keeps the warmth of the heated liner next to you and keeps you the warmest. We haven't used any product other than Gerbing but people that we know that have swear that Gerbing is the best.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Palm Coast Florida sucks too. Sounds like Arizona is the place to be, lets all move there.
Capt Bob

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
v8capt said:
Palm Coast Florida sucks too. Sounds like Arizona is the place to be, lets all move there.
Capt Bob
Sorry, you'll need a reservation. There is a three year waiting list, but I can take your deposit. :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
Hotronics makes rechargeable battery-operated insoles for ski boots. I see no reason why they wouldn't work in motorcycle boots a s well. I use them in my ski boots, and I never get numb, or even cold, toes. The heat level is adjustable, so they can work all day on a single charge. I find that if you start getting cold, a short period of high heat, and then reduced heat, will maintain. I don't know who, but I do know that there are battery operated heated gloves too. A ski shop (brick and mortar or online) should be able to help.

W

·
0 Posts
They make snowmobiling Mittens that might help you. Shop where they sell snowmobiles.

If you don't like wires, there are battery operated mittens and socks. Look for these in a sporting goods store (REI or others).

A Bellaclava works great for keeping the head, face, & neck warm.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
We use the Gerbing clothes, as Carol doesn't do cold worth a darn. The gloves come as either a heavy stiff heated glove (Carol likes them, I do not), or as a glove liner (Carol does not like them, I do). Also they have the heated socks - one type has wire in the bottom making them hard to walk in, the other only put wire in the top.

But one thing Gerbing will do is wire anything you want, any way you want, just to suit your needs and desires. I will say the electric laundry is an easy way to take the cold away. But keeping it portable may present a problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to all (except Arn Butt Bill) for your advice. I contacted Gerbing and spoke to one of their reps. She recommended going with the glove LINERS and their battery pack, to give me the portability for other uses like under my ski gloves, bicycle gloves, etc. Does anyone out there have experience with the liners and/or using their battery pack?

Also, if I go with the liners, do I also need the heated grips, or would that be like a belt and suspenders?? (well, ok, maybe you don't see anything wrong with that... LOL!) Am also looking into the handwarmers from VP.

Lastly, how difficult is it to attach the wiring harness to the battery of the bike? I'm not inept with tools, but I don't want to risk damage to the bike either. If there's a risk, I'd rather pay my mechanic. He installed a little pigtail for me awhile back for my trickle charger.

Feels like I'm making some progress!! Thanks guys!!

julie

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
gojeffgo said:
...Ok, guys.... let 'er rip!!
The fact that you have been diagnosed with Raynaud's may limit your options. The severity of your disorder will dictate the course you will most likely take.

Of primary concern, is the need to keep the digits warm. And that will require very limited exposure to any condition that cools the body too much. In other words, riding in cool to cold weather may have to be avoided.

Assuming you have been correctly diagnosed and found other treatments ineffective, there is a minimally invasive surgical technique called "Micro Single Incision ETS" (endoscopic thoracic sympathectomy) and it's done through a single axillary incision. This may be worth a try if you simply don’t want to give up riding during those colder times of the year.

Good luck on your search!

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
gojeffgo said:
Thanks to all (except Arn Butt Bill) for your advice. I contacted Gerbing and spoke to one of their reps. She recommended going with the glove LINERS and their battery pack, to give me the portability for other uses like under my ski gloves, bicycle gloves, etc. Does anyone out there have experience with the liners and/or using their battery pack?

Also, if I go with the liners, do I also need the heated grips, or would that be like a belt and suspenders?? (well, ok, maybe you don't see anything wrong with that... LOL!) Am also looking into the handwarmers from VP.

Lastly, how difficult is it to attach the wiring harness to the battery of the bike? I'm not inept with tools, but I don't want to risk damage to the bike either. If there's a risk, I'd rather pay my mechanic. He installed a little pigtail for me awhile back for my trickle charger.

Feels like I'm making some progress!! Thanks guys!!

julie
:oops:
Easy to hook up; I'd get the electic grips too. They're much much easier to live with than anything else and you'll use them more often, especially shorter rides.
A vest and grips will get you through almost any weather on back-roads. It's the interstate that gets really cold and will need heavy artillary.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts