GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I have been giving some serious thought to converting my 2006 but don't have a whole lot of info at this time.

Motortrike has a dealership not too far away, what do you guys think about their conversion kits.

I know all offer several different kits but would like to get a general idea of what the cost maybe.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Suggest going to that trike dealer and riding a Motortrike to see if you like it. Then talk to others in your area to determine what kind of job they did converting the bike to a trike.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Every trike rides differently because of the differences in:
1. suspension design. It goes way beyond the old IRS vs. solid axle debate.
2. wheelbase
3. width
Good Luck in finding the right trike for you. Since you'll be converting an '08, no need to look at the '12 prices
Mike

·
Registered
742 Posts
I converted my '06 a couple months ago with a Motor Trike Adventure (IRS) kit. A very trusted trike builder friend of mine advised me that since I also had a Motor Trike dealer/installer close buy that might be a wise choice but as said many times I needed to check this guy's reputation out.

I can't say my conversion was error free and that I'm 100% satisfied but I must not hate it too much. Have nearly 5000 miles on since the conversion. :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'd say you should do your research (including hands on) and then choose what makes you grin the most. The difference in cost from one breed to the other isn't enough to even waste your time on. What matters is quality and happy miles.....

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses....I think I will check them out. I had no idea this was going to be complicated....but appears it will...

Thanks to all....

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Thanks for the responses....I think I will check them out. I had no idea this was going to be complicated....but appears it will...

Thanks to all....
Complicated? No. Due dilligience - Yes.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
The conversion you like + a good installer = miles of:lol::lol::lol:
Do your homework. I'm sure I'm not the norm but, I studied, tested, talked and visited installers and manufacturers for almost 4years before pulling the trigger.
With the amount of money we're talking, you don't want to make a mistake.
After I finally decided, I coined this phrase:
Test the rest
Then buy the best
Hannigan:joke:

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Do your homework. I'm sure I'm not the norm but, I studied, tested, talked and visited installers and manufacturers for almost 4years before pulling the trigger.
After I finally decided, I coined this phrase:
Test the rest
Then buy the best
Hannigan:joke:

I see spontaneity rules your life. :bow:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Pirate

I have over 120K miles on my Motor Trike, and have loved it. My good friend George Lewis from this board says it best. Rides like a dump truck, handles like Simi with no power steering, and often looks like an off roader, but I would not have it any other way. While I really enjoy mine, what works for me is not what might be best for you. I will not push anything on anyone. It's your money and your tush that will be in the seat. I do agree, however, that having an installer close is a great thing. Always nice not to have to wait, or drive to far should there be an issue.

Good luck with your purchase. I think regardless of what you get, you will be glad that you triked. Keep us posted. Sorry, I don't have any catchy sayings, I just like mine alot.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Good luck with your purchase. I think regardless of what you get, you will be glad that you triked. Keep us posted. Sorry, I don't have any catchy sayings, I just like mine alot.:thumbup:[/QUOTE]

Catchy saying, "Motor Trikes are really nice, and handle good even on ice, they look like little hot rods even for some fat old bods." :wrong: Charley :22yikes:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
. . . they look like little hot rods even for some fat old bod(s)." :wrong: Charley :22yikes:
NOW YOU HAVE GONE AND DONE IT! You wait till I tell Nancy that you called her . . . you think Jessica got ya, you just wait.:eek:4::22yikes: That little (s) is going to get you into some BIG trouble.

·
Registered
524 Posts
My trike was done at the factory. If I were to buy any trike, no matter what make, I would do it the same way. It is just a confidence thing with me, no one can do it better than the factory that designed them. I am on a machine capable of doing in excess of 100mph (not that I would drive that fast!). Any of the makes, does not matter, you have to choose.

Second reason, dealers come and go. Several have gone Chapter 11.
The factory would have a better chance of staying in business than a dealer, especially in these hard economic times.

You will have to fork over some hard earned cash. If a dealer goes under good chance you will not see eiher a trike or money.

I am not saying this is probable but there is always a chance it could happen.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
:joke:

I took about 2 1/2 years and though that was a long time.

Chose the brand that has the features and looks that u like. Then try to find a good installer as they are VERY important on how it comes out. I chose a IRS due to the ride but think a non-irs, set up correctly, would have been fine for my driving style. Try to talk to different brand owners and get a feel for how they feel about their ride. Contrary to what some say, one brand does not fit all.

Next u need to decide what accessories u want. I would not buy a trike that did not have EZSteer(or what ever the manufacture calls theirs), aux fuel tank (I ride with 2 wheelers and don't want to have to stop more often that they do and it allows me more options in choosing where to stop for refill, when riding by myself)and parking brake. Other riders will have other wants/must haves.

Good luck in your quest!

PS
A couple more sites u might want to research on.
http://www.triketalk.com/forum/
http://www.lonestartrikes.proboards.com/index.cgi?

They have a some what different group on them

1 - 16 of 16 Posts