GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Own a 2016 Gl-1800 Goldwing. Getting on in years and would like to know the feedback in converting it to a trike.
Have done limited research to date. Hannigan Trikes seems to pop up a lot. Also, live in New York area and 2 Brothers Trikes seems to be the only conversion shop in the New York area. Anyone use them to convert their Goldwing?
Any and all help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I have a 2010 wing with a Roadsmith Model trike.....................I'll never go back to two wheel (I love three)

Ronnie

·
Registered
557 Posts
If you're talking a conversion, why not have the best out there:

All of the safety of a trike but it still leans.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You’re right- there really are not many trike dealers in NY (more than likely due to our marvelous winter weather).

The best / most selection for getting a bike converted is going down south. I have a CSC (California Side Car) Viper conversion (purchased converted from a dealer in Alabama). CSC does conversions at their factory as well in Virginia.

I believe Hannigan also does on site conversions at their headquarters in Kentucky.

Enjoy the research- it took me a number of months to decide on a manufacturer / dealer!

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
As you may have figured out with just these few posts most people will say their kit is the one to get. That is human nature. I personally ride a Hannigan and I'm completely satisfied with it. The day I bought it I was at Russellville Honda in Arkansas talking with the salesman about trikes planning on buying a Roadsmith and rode both the Roadsmith and Hannigan. When I left the dealer I owned the Hannigan. I because the Roadsmith had apparently not had the forks set up correctly (this according to the Roadsmith manufacture at a later date.) I've since ridden another Roadsmith and I would buy one of those kits just as quick. Bottom line is keep an open mind and ride as many different brands as you can and make your own decision . Its just like buying a Honda or Harley whichever one floats your boat best.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Dont limit yourself to what trike builders are available locally. When I wanted mine done. I began to research the different models. I narrowed down my choices to Roadsmith, Hannigan, and California Sidecar. I ended up with California Sidecar because I liked its styling best. I called around all over the country and found an installer down in Rome, Ga that came in at the best price. I coordinated the install so I could ride in one day on the bike and leave with a trike. The build took 2 days and I stayed at a local hotel. It came out great and well worth the trip from Chicago to Rome, Ga.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I’m two weeks riding the trike. It does take a bit of getting used to. I’m very glad the used Trike with Champion conversion I bought had an EZ Steer rake kit installed. You should have this done when you have the conversion done! There are some other options to consider:
1. Parking brake
2. Auxiliary fuel tank
3. Floor boards with heel/toe
So far, I’m very happy, the opportunity to keep riding is more than worth making the switch, just remember, not to put your feet down, LOL.
Bill P

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I recommend buying a trike that a local shop works on. I see Two Brothers works on Hannigan, California Sidecar (CSC), Motor Trike, Champion, and Lehman. All good names. Not sure of the other 3.

For service or trike issues, why go 100's of miles when you can get the service/repair from a local shop I say....

Enjoy your shopping and final choice.....

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a CSC installed by Two Brothers,When I called CSC to get their impression of the installer,I was informed that they (Two Brothers) was their representative @ Americade and as I was wanting to install a Viper kit on a 2005. not normally done at least 4 yrs ago that They would recommend them. Still happy with their work 4 years and counting

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
New rider, you may want to check into the Endeavor reverse trikes. I have 26,000 on mine. Whatever you decide, enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hannigan

Own a 2016 Gl-1800 Goldwing. Getting on in years and would like to know the feedback in converting it to a trike.
Have done limited research to date. Hannigan Trikes seems to pop up a lot. Also, live in New York area and 2 Brothers Trikes seems to be the only conversion shop in the New York area. Anyone use them to convert their Goldwing?
I would stay away from Hannigan if you have any questions PM me.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would echo FireEater and recommend you go with something that your local show will work on.
I've had the painful experience of needing some work done, but nobody in the area would touch my trike.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Do not cut your self short ride every brand pay attention to the stopping quality of all the trike brands
Road Smith was decoupling the link brakes it doe's not stop as well as Hannigan or CSC and I am not bad mouthing any brand but my wife has own Hannigan no trouble CSC no troubles Euro Wing no troubles Road Smith poor braking, and it depends on the year of the trike if it was a 2018 or newer it would not be a Road Smith they did not redesign the body of the trike and it is nothing like looking at 2018 or newer trike to get to the rear and it looks like a 2012, that is like buying a
2019 Chevy Silverado with a 2010 bed just saying.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I had my 01 1800 converted to RS in 2016. I believe my left front and rear brakes are linked.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey my friend, I just went through the same thing after a severe injury to my ribs and back. It was either trike my bike or quit riding. I decided to trike and I did a lot of research. Decided to go with K and D cycles in Altoona ,Alabama. They use Roadsmith kits,specialized in Goldwings, And have been doing a long time,and they do a lot of bikes( one a day), and are reasonably priced. I really love mine. Check out their website,

·
Registered
57 Posts
Motor Trike

I have the the RAZOR. Very well built. Independent rear suspension, air ride and EXCELLENT customer service. 27000 miles the first year with NO problems. The only problems with the ride are Honda seats. The wife loves the ride and sometimes takes a little nap. My suggestion would be is to tour the factory of the trike manufacture and look at the operation. Ask questions and then have the one you choose install it on the bike. Although there are Honda dealers who are authorized to install and work on the kits, in my honest opinion, go to the manufacture. My wife had me install a Motor Trike kit on her Burgman and and loves it.

My opinion, feel free to make it your own.

Attachments

·
Registered
536 Posts
Here's my two cents. I have ridden Motortrike (Razor and Prowler Reverse Trike), Roadsmith HTS1800, Hannigan, Tilting Motor Works reverse leaning trike and CSC. I have owned a Hannigan for 4 years and 20K miles. I'm trading in my Hannigan (a 2013 GL1800 conversion) for a brand new 2019 CSC Encore trike on a 2019 DCT Tour Goldwing.
We liked almost everything about the Hannigan except it was hard to service (differential offset to the right) it was a little TOO big for some lifts. It rode really nice and handled very well being an independent rear suspension (a MUST have, IMO). Motortrike Razor rode well and was more nimble than the Hannigan. Roadsmith did everything well, no complaints there. The reasons for choosing a CSC is a very good ride, good handling and extremely well engineered. The best engineering in my opinion. CSC also has the Powertrak front fork on the new Goldwing, this thing steers lighter than any trike I've ridden, even the Harley Tri Glide which prior to the CSC was the lightest steering trike I've ever ridden. Biggest key for the success of the conversion is the installer. A bad installer can take a good kit and make it bad on your bike. I would suggest you do lots of research before making your decision. As a previous poster said, everyone thinks theirs is best.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I sent you a PM.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts