GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I convert a dual (AM/FM radio and CB) to CB only?

I've looked in the trunk and see the bolts holding the antenna on and the ground strap. I slathered them with anti-seize and tightened them up. I didn't see where the CB and AM/FM radio connections are located.

I've had a time with this CB. I tried using a Sena SR-10 to connect the CB to my Packtalk Bold. I had a bad squeal on transmission. Tried it with my Midland portable and had the same result; squeal on transmission. I did a hard reset on the SR10. I'm seeing a common denominator.

Now I've ordered a hardwired kit to mount on my spare helmet to eliminate BT as a source of the problem. I'm going to have to work my way through the system. I'm guessing the antenna is a good next step. A guy in my GWRRA comments on how terrible those dual antennas are every time he sees it. I haven't used the am/fm radio since I bought it so it can wait. Last time I tuned a CB antenna was 1974. I have one of the aftermarket CBs, so I imagine it will have to be replaced at some point. Maybe I can get another year or 2 out of it.

After fooling with this thing I see why the Cardo has become so popular.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts

I've looked in the trunk and see the bolts holding the antenna on and the ground strap. I slathered them with anti-seize and tightened them up. I didn't see where the CB and AM/FM radio connections are located.
1. Remove the CB antenna (left side as seen from rear of bike, looking forward). CB is located in trunk.

2. Replace right-side antenna with:

https://www.sierra-mc.com/categories.asp?cat=101

Select appropriate setup, based on model year of motorcycle.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where do I disconnect the AM/FM lead?

·
Registered
649 Posts
The kit should come with a splitter that sums together the inputs under the seat. The performance of distance will go way up, the second antenna would make the signal side lobe. Most power going in the directions of the two antenna alignment, worked on a Semi because of the long ground plane of truck and trailer for fore and aft signal. Motorcycles have no ground plane so signals lobes or reflects off the other standing antenna giving a greater sideways signal. I have a single CB antenna sierra-mc.com p/n SIE-GL18/15-Solo3.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The systems weren't designed for bluetooth, That said my CB is dead solid perfect. I had some feedback problems but I cleaned the main grounds. (the main one under the gas tank is a hoot to get to BTW.) Once that was done, the performance of the CB is excellent from what I'm told.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Where do I disconnect the AM/FM lead?
For a 2008?

I'm sure the installation instructions would locate where it's at, but I want to think there is a connection between the AM/FM antenna coax in the vicinity of 'under the seat'.

Suggest PM'ing @Sierra-mc for those details.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I had the dual antenna for a while. The antenna lead plugs into a spliter box. The am/fm lead goes from the box to the am/fm radio. The cb lead goes to the cb radio. Just eliminate the spliter box and plug the antenna lead directly to the cb radio. Should be located under the seat.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts

I've had a time with this CB. I tried using a Sena SR-10 to connect the CB to my Packtalk Bold. I had a bad squeal on transmission. Tried it with my Midland portable and had the same result; squeal on transmission. I did a hard reset on the SR10. I'm seeing a common denominator.

Now I've ordered a hardwired kit to mount on my spare helmet to eliminate BT as a source of the problem. I'm going to have to work my way through the system. I'm guessing the antenna is a good next step. A guy in my GWRRA comments on how terrible those dual antennas are every time he sees it. I haven't used the am/fm radio since I bought it so it can wait. Last time I tuned a CB antenna was 1974. I have one of the aftermarket CBs, so I imagine it will have to be replaced at some point. Maybe I can get another year or 2 out of it.

After fooling with this thing I see why the Cardo has become so popular.
You seem to be trying to solve a lot of problems at the same time.

The solo antenna / dual antenna thing isn't going to solve any squeal problems. The solo antenna just projects a little better.

GL2Way radio? Take the battery ground off for a few minutes to let all the capacitors discharge. Reconnect. It does some sort of reset. Probably won't solve anything, but easy to try.

I think you're onto things with getting the wired connection into the bike audio. Eliminate the BT as an issue.

I had a hacked BT dongle that was the problem. Sorry to say, the SR-10 is fairly solid, I don't think the problem is there. I'll put my money on a bad radio. Hopefully something that can be resolved, but it won't be by a new antenna.

Better to find that out before spending more money and effort on moving antennas around.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
On antenna connections (though as above, try that last) my vague memory is:

AM/FM runs out from the top case along the right rail under the seat. There might be a connector near where it exits the top case. Then the cable goes up to the bottom left corner of the radio, which is under the top shelter, just in front of the gas cap.

CB antenna runs down to the radio in the cubby at the bottom of the top case. Then the whole CB control / bike integration cable runs out the top case, roughly along that same rail, and plugs into the bike harness near the right of where the radio buttons are, sort of between the cruise actuator and the right pocket.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just don't understand why there is squeal in both the Midland and the bike CB. Either the common denominator is the bike (electronic interference) or the Sena SR-10. I may try the SR-10 on my Versys and see if it works. The problem is that the only time I can check it is no GWRRA rides. I did a hard reset and repairing on the Sena to the Packtalk Bold and I can listen very well. I am using rechargeable batteries so the Midland is not connected to the electrical system of the bike. Someone on Amazon reviews posted that the power was reduced to 3 watts while on batteries and 4 watts while hardwired. I find that hard to believe. I did add a longer antenna. I may try it with the stubby that came on it.

Honestly, the best solution for me would be use the Midland with the Sena transmitter to my Pack Talk Bold. I could move it from bike to bike and it wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg. I've spent $260 on a J and M wired headset. I'm afraid that the CB is trashed and I will be faced with either spending another $600 for a Honda CB or face having wasted $260 on the headset. Once I get the wired headset I can have someone transmit to the portable and check it that way.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I installed a J and M headset in my spare Neotech. Got it plugged in. Took the Midland in the house and transmitted from the Goldwing to the Midland. My wife said she heard a squeal and no voice at all.

I guess the squeal problem is not in the Bluetooth unit after all.

Research suggests that the squeal is due to RF interference caused by a bad ground or inadequate shielding of wires. The only thing I added to the system was the plug for the Sena SR-10. I'm guessing bad grounds. I tightened up the antenna ground strap and its mount to the antenna.

Other than the master ground under the fuel tank, are there any other grounds in the system I could renew? Maybe I won't have to buy a new CB after all!

Another thought. Could there be another interference problem of some kind that would cause the squeal on the Midland AND the Goldwing CB?

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Other than the master ground under the fuel tank, are there any other grounds in the system I could renew? Maybe I won't have to buy a new CB after all!

Another thought. Could there be another interference problem of some kind that would cause the squeal on the Midland AND the Goldwing CB?
The ground on the battery itself, but if you're doing the G2 ground, also look into the grounds attached to the engine itself while you're there.

Second question quoted...possible, but would really look for the issue on the bike itself.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After reflection. I realized that the engine was off (on accessory) when the transmission was made. Rules out engine interference.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
OK Progress. I found a wire from the antenna ground to the CB. It is attached the the bike via a crimped circular connector to a long bolt that goes through the ground strap, a washer through presumably to the frame. I pulled out the bolt, lathered it and both sides of the washer and ground strap in anti seize.

Transmitted from the CB to the Midland in the house. She said it was a little "crackly" but she could clearly understand me. When she transmitted to me it was clear as a bell. or as good as CB can be.

I'm going to run a jumper between the bolt on the left rear to this bolt and see if that improves the ground. The eye end connector on the wire between the CB and the ground strap looked good. It could be broken, but I doubt it because I could see wire coming out of the end of the crimp. At some point I'm going to need to decide if I either replace it or use twisted wire instead of an crimped circular connector. I'll probably do the jumper with bare wire at first, or go to the auto parts store to see if they have come connectors that I can solder in.

I'll post up a pic when I'm done.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Added the jumper. No real improvement. We switched places so I could hear it. No squeal, but background distortion. Could hear the voice most of the time, but not exactly clear. The Midland to Goldwing transmission was a lot clearer.

I may have cured the ground problem and the squeal. Now it is distortion.

I figured I was going to have to go through this thing one problem at a time. What can cause background distortion on transmission?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I put antiseize where the antenna screws into the base, and filled the "break" section of the antenna with anti seize. Sherri reports much improved. No static. I may have fixed it. I think I would be better served with an antenna that screws into the base I have but doesn't break in half. That would be a simple fix. Next time I have the seat off I'm going to be looking for grounds to renew.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ordered.

I also ordered a cheap SWR meter and jumper from Amazon. I should be able to tune the antenna from the trunk. I want to do an Ultimate back rest this summer, so I'll wait until then to take the seat off and see if I need to do anything with the splitter. There is supposed to be a large common ground that I can tie into the - battery terminal that may help the ground plane.

I'm just hoping I don't have to replace the CB. I'll ride it to the next GWRRA meeting and test it then.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts