GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has me thinking about a trike. Currently own an 02 with 52K, and it's a great bike. We have a Bushtec that matches.

If I go the trike route, should I convert my 02 (which has 3 years extended warranty left), or sell it and buy a new 06/07 to convert?

Does the trike conversion effect the warranty?

Thanks...

Mike

B

·
0 Posts
How many miles do you have on your '02? Do you think it still has a lot more miles in it? Probably so, right?

Believe it or not, there is still a large market for GL1500 conversions, so triking your '02, if it's in good shape and you want a trike, is probably a good idea.

As to Warranty, ask your dealer what he thinks. Some dealers are more "trike friendly" than others. There have been a lot of posts on this issue.

Here is an email I recieved from American Honda Motorcycle Customer Support:
American Honda Motorcycle Customer Support said:
Trike conversions do not completely void the factory warranty. They may however exclude coverage on certain parts of the bike that have been modified, as well as exclude non-modified components if their cause of failure is found to be related to the conversion. For example: If the wire harness has been altered to accommodate different rear brake lights for the trike, then any problems with those would have to be addressed with the trike dealer; And if the front headlight bulb goes out and is found to be unrelated to any of the trike modifications, then it will be covered. On the same note, If there are any transmission concerns, we have to determine if those are related to the conversion, (extra weight, load, two wheels, etc.), or if it is a legitimate factory defect which could have happened on a stock two wheel unit. The customer should find out if the trike dealer offers warranty on their parts and workmanship as well.
I hope that this information is helpful to you.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
If it's been a good bike so far, I would trike the one you have. I've got 48k on my 02, and it still feels like new; if I was going to get a trike, I'd do mine in a heartbeat. It's paid for, so all I'd have to pay is the conversion price. Plus, you wouldn't have to repaint your trailer to match the new one.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
In a heartbeat. "Dance w/ the one that brung ya".

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I triked my'02 with 18K on it. Put a '05 kit on and it is great. Now have 29K on the engine, 11K on the kit. Let's say you buy a '07 for 20K +/- and put a 10K +/- kit on it...you have $30K invested. You trike your '02 and you have 20K invested...see how you like it, as you can always sell it and get the '07...me, I am going to keep my '02....no telling how many miles I can put on it before it needs major work...some on this web are pushing 200K.....I doubt if I would ride one that long, but we will see. Good luch with your trike...either way.

I

·
0 Posts
I triked my 02, and I bought the extended warranty through the dealer I bought the bike from, and he knew it was triked. Triking your bike should not affect your warranty.

There is nothing I know of that affects your extended warranty if the bike is triked.

Much depends on your dealer and how willing he is to accept the warranty coverage. Honda will accept it if properly submitted by the dealer.

As to whether you want to trike your 02 with 52K on it, that is a personal decision you have to make. Like someone said, many guys have triked their 1500's, long after they were an obsolete model. Goldwings live forever.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Mike,
I suppose it comes down to:
1. Spending between $28,000.00 and $35,000.00 for an '07 trike, or
2. Spending between $10.000.00 and $17,000.00 to have your '02 converted.
From an aftermarket perspective, there is more "stuff" available for the '01-'05 GL1800s than the '06-07s. This is because of the numerous changes incorporated in 2006 to the GL1800.
For me it was a matter of "economics" on many levels. I just had my '02 with 13,500 miles on it converted to a Champion Trike. Somehow the Mid-West weather skipped the fall season. I am not going to get as much riding in as we had planned.
Mike
'02 PY/'06 Champion Trike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts