GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found many of the fasteners have a low torque requirement. I just wonder if it would be more accurate to use my inch torque wrench instead of my big 1/2 drive ft/lbs torque wrench.

Does anyone know the formula to convert ft/lbs to inches?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I have found many of the fasteners have a low torque requirement. I just wonder if it would be more accurate to use my inch torque wrench instead of my big 1/2 drive ft/lbs torque wrench.

Does anyone know the formula to convert ft/lbs to inches?
To convert foot pounds to inch pounds, multiply by 12.
To convert inch pounds to foot pounds, divide by 12.

·
Registered
452 Posts
My inch/pound torque wrench will not go high enough for many of the fasteners. A 3/8" drive wrench that goes from somewhere like 5-10 to 80-100 ft/pounds would be a good addition to the tool box IMO.

I've always preferred torque wrenches with a narrower working range...I just feel they are more accurate. Not sure if that is actually true or not. I think they are also more accurate the closer to the middle of the scale, so you may want to consider that in making a selection. Converting most of the in/lb fasteners to ft/lb seems to put them well into the upper registers of my in/lb wrench, although I can get away with it sometimes.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
For most auto and motorcycle applications, the 3/8" drive is most useful. Harbor Freight has one that is often on sale for $9.99. They seem to check fairly accurate by all reports that I have read. All torque wrenches need recalibration about once a year. I have an inch-pound that goes to 250, but I seldom use it. I only use the 1/2" for lug bolts and such.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. The conversion makes sense. Guess I was too lazy to look it up. I also thought that at the lower setting an inch pound wrench would be more accurate. I have craftsman 1/2 and 3/8 drive. I had not considered the Harbor Freight torque wrench, even though I have buying more and more tools from them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts