GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just wondering if that title will get any interest LOL

It would be fun, and it would weigh about the same. Wish I had the bucks to try it. 8)

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Since turbines have one tailpipe, and they point straight back from the engine, you'd have to mount the turbine above or behind the rear wheel. You'd also need a very tall backrest with wiplash protection. LOL

Post pics when you're done. :lol:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Re: Converting to a 930 HP turbine on the GL-1800..

KA7W said:
Was just wondering if that title will get any interest LOL

It would be fun, and it would weigh about the same. Wish I had the bucks to try it. 8)
I can see right now that you have created a lot of potential for generating HOT AIR in this thread Tom. :lol: :lol:
DC

·
Registered
707 Posts
Tom,

If memory serves, Jay Leno had a cruiser built with turbo-shaft engine in it. Run it at Bonneville, but I don't recall the results. I believe it came from a Bell Jet Ranger.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In the early 90's I was flying round engine powered spray planes, 9 cylinder 650 HP engines. Then we started converting to turbo-props.

A round engine weighed around 1100 pounds with prop, and turbo-prop engine and prop weighed around 250 pounds, So they had to be mounted way out front but they produced twice the power. and a lot more aerodynamic. Sure made airplanes out of those things :lol: You could pull the wings off the airframe if you were not careful.

I think the same kind of improvements could be made on our motorcycles and it would be just as much fun if not more so :lol:

JMHO 8)

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
davidmc said:
Tom,

If memory serves, Jay Leno had a cruiser built with turbo-shaft engine in it. Run it at Bonneville, but I don't recall the results. I believe it came from a Bell Jet Ranger.
Leno did and maybe still does have the turbine powered bike. I don't know if he had it built or just bought it, or where he runs it but Bonneville does make perfect sense. Yes the turbine powered (jet bike) did come from a bell helicopter. I saw it on "My Classic Car" a TV show on the speed network. 8) 8) Terry

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, thats Leno's bike, I tried to order one but Jay keep the money to himself LOL ... 150 grand for two wheels, Hmmmmmm !!! Maybe in the next life

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Yep! I was all set to order one, but then I checked the specs.
Darn! They only come in "infinite colors", and I had my heart set on "infinite-plus-one".
Guess I'll just keep lookin' :lol: :lol:
DC

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dream Catcher,

Yeah I understand your problem there !! If they would just get there act together and go to the paint store, they could sell a lot of them !!

JMHO 8)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts