GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this on line and it got me thinking, I would like to create a bucket list of campgrounds I would like to visit. Has anyone created a list of "must see/visist" campgrounds?

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-interests-40544196

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've been impressed with Pennsylvania's state park system and have stayed at several. Tend to go back to World's End (gotta love the name) and Rickett's Glenn.

Inexpensive, but pretty and spacious camping can be found on the Blue Ridge Parkway (what a ride!)

Here's a tip that some of you may not know. If you are 62 or older you may purchase a National Parks Senior Pass for 10 bucks--one-time fee. This will get you into any National Park at no charge AND save you 50% on camping. That brought my recent camping fee on the parkway to $8. Can't beat that! For those of you who enjoy the Skyline Drive--no charge to enter (Shenandoah National Park).

·
Registered
714 Posts
I thought I had seen a thread regarding a list of favorite camp sites somewhere before. I'm not good at the search function on the forum, so just have to go by memory.

My bucket list includes some of the sites on the link.

Also:
Glacier National Park
Yellowstone
Yosemite

And:
All the state parks in Texas. I have a state park pass and only used it twice so far. It is only good for 1 year and costs $50. Hopefully, some day.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
You can't go wrong in a michigan State Park. I've camped in most of them over the years and never been disappointed. If Rustic is your cup of tea then a state forest campground will be good.

Fred

·
Registered
863 Posts
this thread didn't get anywhere did it? I know some good spots in the smokies but none in florida. now that the weather is getting more comfortable down here, i'd like to take the wife camping somewhere a few hours south of jacksonville. we need to load up the little tailer i bought last week and get a trial run in. she is planning a roundtrip airfare to new york next summer. i will ride up and get her and we will tour new england, canada, and where ever for a week or more and then she will fly home. i get a waeek on each end by myself. anyway, any suggestions for camping in fla besides the keys?

·
Registered
657 Posts
if you ever get to BC canada check out Toad Rock a motorcycle camp ground near Nelson BC way

Welcome to Toad Rock Motorcycle Campground!

Toad Rock has been created based on the hopes, dreams, and practical experiences of the owner, Mary Laird. Motorcyclists are catered to based on her own experiences as a riding camper. Cleanliness, comfort, and camaraderie are high on the priority list.
Toad Rock is also an old fashioned campground for everyone, regardless of your mode of travel. A place where kids and pets are a joy to have around! (Excepting special occasions: call for details). Tents are available, beds can be made up, and most of what you forgot can be found. You're not a passing stranger - you're a welcome friend. There are a number of events hosted at Toad Rock, and more information is available on the Events page.
Toad Rock is also available for private functions. Weddings, birthday parties, and family reunions have all been hosted here. With hot springs and golf courses so close at hand, there is something for everyone to enjoy. A cozy campfire and starlit sky is always the perfect end to any day.
Recent News at Toad Rock:
Toad Rock Motorcycle Campground was featured in the November 2007 issue of Canadian Biker magazine. Download the PDF (1.2MB)
5 little cabins are available for rent throughout the season. They were rescued from a church camp down the road, and I have left the inspirational messages intact! Not much more than a "bed in a dry room", but they are cute, cozy, and a welcome site for late arrivals, and "two-ups". You can either bring your own bedding, or have linen provided. Please call for availability. During special events, the performers usually fill them.
Welcome to Toad Rock Motorcycle Campground. We're located on Kootenay Lake, on Highway 31, in the West Kootenay region of British Columbia, the land of the best bike roads you'll ever have the joy to ride!!
GPS coordinates:
N. 49.41.193
W. 116.54.999
So how do you get here? We've got maps and driving directions to help you out.
Send us your Toad Rock photos to add to our gallery.
Lakes, mountains, winding roads, hot springs, quaint little towns, ferry rides.................
Is there anything else of interest to you?

© 2008-2009 Toad Rock Motorcycle Campground Website by Funktion cool.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My favorite is San Simeon State Campground north of Cambria California. You can hear the waves crash at night off the beach. We go and stay for a week every year. Since this is California you need a reservation in the summer.

·
Registered
826 Posts
campgrounds

KOA campground in Great Falls Montana, pricey as most KOA's are compared to state and national park campgrounds, but the washrooms are unique and the best I have seen yet and the tent camp sites are unique and very practical also. Pool and hot tub too. If ever in the area, I will go there again, maybe even if I just get anywhere near Montana.
Andy

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
To tail off of Andy's post above, the KOA in Sheridan, WY is very MC friendly also. We stayed there last summer going to Glacier.

Nice grassy sites complete with a covered table area, pool, great showers, friendly staff, quiet, and to top it all a huge bowl of ice cream in the evening for a buck!!.

Life was good!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I rode past the Kirk Creek Campground, when I came off the back side of Fort Hunter Liggit. I had been trying to find the name of it so I could go camping there. Now I need to plan my weekend, and get reservations. Thanks for posting the link.

·
Registered
286 Posts
We stayed at a KOA in Laasen national forest near Redding, CA that was very cool. they had clean straw laid out for the tents, a pool, showers, plenty of wood around (free), etc. located deep in the tall pines. Very nice, friendly couple running it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Found most State Parks in Mid-West nice, Reasonable, $12 - $14 per nite. KOA,s I found pricy $26 per night for Non Elect. Tent site. Not into Pools and fancy, just a fire and relax.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Corp of Engineer campgrounds are really reasonable, a lot of the corps camp grounds are pretty old but clean. Have stayed at some in AR, OK. MO and Iowa.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts