GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll have 2-3 days to meander home from Denver in a couple of weeks, and I figured some of you have already been up there and might have some good road suggestions.

I'll fly Brenda up on a Tuesday, and then we'll leave Denver "early" on Wednesday and start moving in a generally SW direction getting home late on Friday or maybe even move that to Saturday.

I'm watching a thread on the CO forum right now, and I have feelers out at a couple other places, but more info will just give me for food for thought.

What say you?

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
US-550, north from Durango, then US-160 across Wolf Creek Pass (big C. W. McCall fan!), to US-285, north on US-285 to Us-24, to CO-9, got onto I-70 @ Dillon, then off onto US-6 down the mountain toward the Denver area. The next day, we stayed on I-25 & headed toward South Dakota...in the rain.

For us, last year, there was rain...started right around US-24 and continued into the next day & didn't stop until we got near Rapid City. On that trek, we headed west toward Yellowstone after a couple of days in South Dakota.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Don't know all the routes but one I recommend is CO 149 south from US 50. Take 149 all the way down through Lake City, Creede, on down to US 160. Be sure to stop at clear creek falls when you see the sign, I think it is south of Creede. Very very nice ride, beautiful scenery, good road.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Brian...you might try looking on the Rockies Gold sites from years past, I know Dave had routes posted with all the best scenery. San Juan Skyway is a good route...Off 550 South of Montrose at Ridgeway, take 62 to 145 at Placerville toward Telluride and then to Cortez via Rico and Dolores. That will get you to 160 and headed home via the Rez.

Have a good/safe time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts