GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do some of you use to help combat the heat while riding? Need ideas for upcoming trip that looks like it's gonna be hot.

·
Registered
709 Posts
One of the things I do if I am on a long ride is this. I use a dry fit type of shirts under my jacket (that transform into a mesh jacket)...I will wet the shirt before I put it on...not with 'ice cold' water but regular tap water then put the jacket on over it and it helps me...

that and the old rule...drink drink drink (WATER!! heh) a rule of thumb is if you haven't pee'd then you haven't drank enough...

·
Registered
394 Posts
:agree: on the drinking lots and lots of water as well as the dri-fit shirt.

I also soak my bandana around my neck every stop.

Finally, I keep most of my exposed skin covered. Lots of people prefer the t-shirt in the open method, but that really doesn't work for me. Wet t-shirt and the sweat on my skin dries too fast due to the wind while riding and long before it has a chance to help me cool off.

Have a safe trip.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Not to do as I do, you own risk.

If I do ride in this heat and humidity I wear all ATGATT except for the jacket when it is hot. In its place I wear a long sleeve white shirt and use one of the simple cool vests.

No not under a jacket, but over the shirt. So air flow can do its job and keep you cool. I have it sewed so it fits tight , no flop or loose parts.

Then stop and soak it about every hour or so.

Put ice in your pockets. :joke:
Pour water on yure head:joke:
Pour water in yure boots:joke:

Sit on an ice cube. :joke:

Spent 12 hours last week at a motel , jackhammer the floor, chisel through a 20 inch footing and fix a two inch water line.

I rigged up a washing machine hose, drilled a few small holes in it and hung it up in the machinery room, set a fan behind it, invented a small mist machine. Those boilers were a killer combined with the heat..........whew!!

If I do ride in the heat, I use the cool vest , fitted so it fits tight and soak it down frequently, And one of those neck ties that you soak down too.

The jacket has to go. Do you bleed or die of heat stroke. I am just more careful and do not play much.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Wife and I traveled thousands of miles last two summers in 106 and 108 degree weather. If you stop and pour cold water over your head and body it is amazing how much better you feel. It will take your breath from you when you pour it on you but it also lowers your core body temp. Colder the better. Wet clothes will keep you cool for an hour or two. Repeat and you'll have no problems.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
But Seriously

Wife and I traveled thousands of miles last two summers in 106 and 108 degree weather. If you stop and pour cold water over your head and body it is amazing how much better you feel. It will take your breath from you when you pour it on you but it also lowers your core body temp. Colder the better. Wet clothes will keep you cool for an hour or two. Repeat and you'll have no problems.
Take a large bandanna. Lay out diagonally. Fill with ice and make a wrap. Tie it around your neck. It will also take your breath away, but it will last longer.

BTW, I don't wrinkle in the pool; I tan!

·
Registered
624 Posts
I wear a moisture wicking, long sleeve shirt. Over that shirt, I wear a mesh jacket. SO and I also roll up a couple of hand towels for each of us. We use rubber bands or the ponytail holders to keep the towels rolled. The towels are then put in the bottom of the ice chest. When the temp. rises we each take out a towel and place it around our neck. This will usually work for an hour or two. Then we put these back in the cooler and take out the next one, cold, wet, and ready to ride. :thumbup:

Ride safe, stay cool, and God Bless.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
If I'm riding two up, I bring a small spray bottle filled with water. My wife will spray my shirt down with the water. No need for it to be cold. Just the water evaporating off my skin is enough to cool you down. It doesn't last long but it helps. If I'm wearing my mesh jacket, the cooling effect will last longer.
I did a test a couple years ago while riding in Kansas at 98 deg. I was wearing a cotton t-shirt and was actually cooler with the mesh jacket than without the jacket.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Cover up

Exposed skin-hot.
Covered skin-cooler, till you stop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts