GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what the stuff they put inside cool-scarfs is made of? When dry they are hard little pellets, they absorb water when immersed and provide good evaporative cooling.

They look pretty easy to make and if I could figure out the innards I could make a bunch of them for a fraction of what they cost to purchase.

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
There is also a horticultural variety of this polymer. It is mixed with soil to aid water retention. Dry, it looks like white sand. Saturated, it looks like clear nose goblins. One teaspoon of dry product will absorb a 12 oz. glass of water.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Here's another Link.

http://www.watercrystals.com/Prices.htm

I had one of the scarfs a few years ago that worked pretty good. The BB sized crystals were larger than what I got from WalMart last year. The WalMart one seemed to have almost a dust in it and it didn't cool as good and didn't last as long as the one with the larger crystals.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Tom, I just buy them at welding supply stores. Dirt cheap.

·
Registered
20,955 Posts
never tried them myself but i did see those cooling scarfs at walmart pretty cheap

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Just go buy a pack of diapers, They're full of it! :D :D

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Tom,
While you're thinking about it, look at this website: Soldiers Angels
It has all the info you are looking for and (if you like) can help our boys/girls in uniform.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thanks for the link Rastoff...I'll pass it along. I didn't get the service out of the ones I bought at Walmart, they seemed not to absorb water after a few uses. I use them cutting my grass and they were a no-go

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Hedo said:
PoleCat said:
One teaspoon of dry product will absorb a 12 oz. glass of water.
Polecat..........keep that stuff away from my beer !!!!! :lol:
Hedo, You really did not mean beer. You just meant Corona :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
126 Posts
You can buy them at a flortist shop too. I can not remember the name of the product. They are used to hold the arangement in place and absorb water.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts