GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a cool show about Honda Motorcycles on last night called Twisted Throttle. First time I've seen it.

Showed the evolution of Honda Bikes, and showed the bikes at Honda's museum. They sure have a collection!! Everything brand new. They had the first 750 4 cylinder, A bike to die for if you collect bikes.

Also showed production lines. They can make a CBR 1100 from scratch in 1 hour! The engine & tranny is built from the ground up to !! Quite a amazing factory
The make 800 CBR's in a day.

Showed the Wings being built, Another amazing production line. Said 500,000 have been sold since it was first produced. They showed all the years of Wings in their museum. Brought back memories, lol

Was was first Intended as a sport bike, but evolved into a sport tourer as they called it.

Showed Honda's test track in the desert, had every road problem you could encounter, pot holes, cracks, extreme heat etc, They really test their products.

And for those who are worried about reving up a new engine, When assembled they redline the engines to be sure everything is working properly.

Probably a repeat show, but as I said first time I've seen it. Good show,

·
Registered
91 Posts
Where did you see the movie? I'd like to catch a rerun.:?

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Was was first Intended as a sport bike, but evolved into a sport tourer as they called it.........

........And for those who are worried about reving up a new engine, When assembled they redline the engines to be sure everything is working properly.
I remember when the Wing first came out. Nobody knew what to make of it. With a shaft drive and a boxer engine that didn't rev, nobody saw it as a sport bike except Honda. Most people thought Honda had lost their mind. It was a total fluke that it ended up as a touring bike, and most of the credit should go to the aftermarket, not Honda. The aftermarket showed Honda what to do with it.

BTW, I didn't see this particular show, but they don't rev the engines to redline at the factory, at least they never used to. The previous show a few years back showed the engine dyno display, and it never got over 4000 rpm. On numerous trips to the factory, I never saw them take the bike over 70mph on the bike dyno, and the tester shifted the bike at about the rpm that you would normally shift in everyday riding.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I remember when the Wing first came out. Nobody knew what to make of it. With a shaft drive and a boxer engine that didn't rev, nobody saw it as a sport bike except Honda. Most people thought Honda had lost their mind. It was a total fluke that it ended up as a touring bike, and most of the credit should go to the aftermarket, not Honda. The aftermarket showed Honda what to do with it.

BTW, I didn't see this particular show, but they don't rev the engines to redline at the factory, at least they never used to. The previous show a few years back showed the engine dyno display, and it never got over 4000 rpm. On numerous trips to the factory, I never saw them take the bike over 70mph on the bike dyno, and the tester shifted the bike at about the rpm that you would normally shift in everyday riding.

Larry I'm at a loss about your statment concerning the '75 Wing. :shrug:

Mine went right up to Red Line just below 10K very easy in 1st through 3'd.
4th & 5th was a little more difficult due to the gearing at 5280' though. With 5th being a very high OD it actually went faster and reved higher in 4th which is why GEM made optional Ring & Pinion sets for the '75-'79 Wings. The Hotrod & Cafe types liked the 4.0-1 & 3.5-1 GEM gear sets for crotch rocket use and they are still in demand if you can find them. Sold my 4.0-1 final drive to a fellow in CA a few yeas back for one of his Cafe '75 bikes.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Thanks for the post, I programmed the Tivo to record it in HD, which motorcycle programs deserve.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You tube

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
The GL1000 redlined at 8500rpm. (see pic) What's worse, and what the bike was really knocked for was that horsepower peaked at a dismal 7000rpm. (see link for specs.) That is what I meant that it didn't rev. The little Kawaskaki KZ650 was almost .3 seconds faster in the quarter mile.

Don't get me wrong. Looking back, the original Wing was a much better bike than most people (including me) perceived it as when we were young, but Honda marketed the bike wrong, and was rightfully the recipient of quite a few chuckles for touting it as a performance bike in the era of high revving in-line fours. (I was a big Kawasaki fan before my GL1800.) There is also no doubt that the original Wing had its legion of followers that were ahead of their time. They saw the potential for the bike.

http://www.goldwing-world.com/gl-1000_technical.htm

1 - 15 of 15 Posts