GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting bike ready for a 10,0000 mile trip

When is the best time to add coolant to the reserve bottle (not to the radiator filler neck)...when the bike is hot, warm or cold....?

Thanks

Safe Rides

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Don't forget to slip your owner's manual back into the left side bag right after you read the part about adding and checking coolant.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

·
Vendor
17,818 Posts
Don't forget to slip your owner's manual back into the left side bag right after you read the part about adding and checking coolant.
:lol:

EXCELLENT!
My answer too!!! And, don't forget ... read your owners manual ... not mine, not his, not that one, but yours ... from year to year they can be different.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Check it while the bike is cold.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Check it while the bike is cold.
Hmmm....that's odd. The owner's manual for my 2010 says to check to coolant level in the overflow tank when the engne is at normal operating temperature.

Different procedures for different model years, perhaps?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
This is one of those topics that can easily get lost in translation. You always check the coolant level in the RESERVOIR TANK while the engine is at op temp. However, if you want to see the level in the COOLING SYSTEM itself you have to wait for it to cool or you will be sorry for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
This is one of those topics that can easily get lost in translation. You always check the coolant level in the RESIVOIR TANK while the engine is at op temp. However, if you want to see the level in the COOLING SYSTEM itself you have to wait for it to cool or you will be sorry for obvious reasons.
:agree:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Hmmm....that's odd. The owner's manual for my 2010 says to check to coolant level in the overflow tank when the engne is at normal operating temperature.

Not much on a manual. Just common sense.

If you want to check the level in the radiators , it would be wise to wait for the bike to cool down. So you might as well check the level in the overflow tank at the same time. Just make sure it is full. Sure the coolant will expand a bit maybe, but that is why there is an overflow tube on the tank. If it gets too full it just drains to the ground.

Really not too important what the level is in the overflow tank . You can ride coast to coast with not tank at all. All it is for is expansion and or recovery if you were to have a small leak or water evaporates from the system and you need a little make up.

Never one to worry about things that do not merit worry.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Considering the operating temp is where the engine spends all of its working and running life then it's a pretty good idea to know what your coolant level is during that time.

·
Vendor
17,818 Posts

That was answered above ... "read your owners manual ... not mine, not his, not that one, but yours ... from year to year they can be different."

·
Registered
109 Posts
Not much on a manual. Just common sense.

If you want to check the level in the radiators , it would be wise to wait for the bike to cool down. So you might as well check the level in the overflow tank at the same time. Just make sure it is full. Sure the coolant will expand a bit maybe, but that is why there is an overflow tube on the tank. If it gets too full it just drains to the ground.

Really not too important what the level is in the overflow tank . You can ride coast to coast with not tank at all. All it is for is expansion and or recovery if you were to have a small leak or water evaporates from the system and you need a little make up.

Never one to worry about things that do not merit worry.
:agree:

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Check the manual...:eek:4:

Now I know why I love this board....they always have the answer...:bow:

BTW my manual say check it at normal orperating temperature and do not ride the bike on twisties for 1 hour prior to checking...moves the fluid up and down on the dip stick...:shock:

Thanks Guys For Reminding Me That I Have An Owners Manual...

Safe Rides...

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
That was answered above ... "read your owners manual ... not mine, not his, not that one, but yours ... from year to year they can be different."
I would be surprised if the procedure has changed from th e'01's to present. Engine at full operational temp, engine at idle, on center stand; IF my memory is right (which is questionable). You can check the level without removing the side panel or messing with the dip stick if you look underneath the bike and go by the lines on the front of the tank (belly pans obscure the view).

prs

1 - 16 of 16 Posts