GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a left fan rattling and I'm leaving soon on a long trip. I plan on being colder climates so I'm not worried about overheating. My question is: At what speeds does the computer lock out the fans. I've heard they don't run during parade speeds, but what about higher speeds?

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Better have it checked out. My 06 fan hit the radiator fins and Honda had to fix it under Warrenty. Hate for that to happen on the road. They were having some problems with some models. 06 was one of those.

·
Registered
16,905 Posts
At speeds less than or equal to 15 mph, some variation per year model; but not much. Make sure fan is NOT rubbing radiator fins.

prs

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,282 Posts
I have a left fan rattling and I'm leaving soon on a long trip. I plan on being colder climates so I'm not worried about overheating. My question is: At what speeds does the computer lock out the fans. I've heard they don't run during parade speeds, but what about higher speeds?
They don't run at any speed above 15mph. If you have a rattle it could be more than just a worn bearing in the motor, it could be a rock or debris stuck between the radiator and the fan. If it is, just the air passing through the fan at highway speed could rub a hole in your radiator.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Cooling fan

Just had to replace the cooling fan blade, motor, radiator and shaft 5 months ago and then the motor again 3 weeks ago. The radiator had gouge in it making it unable to take pressure and the second motor had bad bearings.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My plan

I have checked it and the fan doesn't hit the radiator. I've ordered a fan but it won't be here in time. I'm going to disconnect the power to the left fan before I leave. I just have to watch the temp and avoid parade speeds. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
My right fan just went through the radiator. Only 50000 miles on my 03. D&D just did both fans and the radiator.
Not a cheap repair.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
D&D too

I just was there today getting a new rear tire. They are the source for the new fan which hasn't arrived yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts