GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What antifreeze can be used in the GL1800? Have been told only to use
Honda approved coolant. Checked with dealer and they want $6.99 a quart/4 quarts required. Anyone have any recommendations??

Vince

·
Vendor
22,218 Posts
Go to a Honda auto dealer and you can buy a gallon of pre-mixed for about $12 or so.

You other option is to go to Wal Mart and find some that is Silicate Free. If you mix your own, be sure to use distilled water. Never ever put tap water in your cooling system.

·
Registered
761 Posts
If your dealer wants $6.99 a quart you are getting ripped. IMHO Mine was $3.50 a quart. Hal has a great deal @ $2.99. :)

·
Registered
21,091 Posts
Honda brand is a good choice but any of the extended life antifreezes are silicate free and will work fine

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
How much money do you have tied up in your bike?
How much do you want to protect that investment?
Go with the Honda recomended product.

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
Hmm.. Lets see here.. 1 gal silicate free antifreeze - $7.99. Add 1 gal distilled water $1 = $8.99 for 2 gallons mix. Sell to wingers for $3.50 a quart = $28.00. Damn! Why didn't I think of that?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Proper Coolant for GL1800

Thanks for all the inputs. Will stick with the Honda product and order from Hal. Better to be safe than sorry!!!

Vince

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
tourman said:
That's very interesting. I might try some. Is it sold at any stores?

gopdebeek said:
Try This site:

http://evanscooling.com/main27.htm

I use it, I Love it, I don't sell it!!
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

My bike has Evans NPG+ in it now. Its been in there about a year and no negative effects have shown yet. My '02 "non improved" bike will peg the needle if you parade mode on a hot day under load for a loooong time. It never did over boil in doing so, but the recovery thanl would be nearly flooded and the bike engine surfaces obviously very hot when using teh origial coolant. I wne to the considerable trouble to change to Evans (you have to purge all the water from the system). I make no other mods to the cooling system, just drained, chenically flushed, water flushed, and then purged teh water with undiluted coolant and than replaced that with teh NPG+. The bike is a bit slower to peg the needle and even at that the coolant recovery tank's coolant level is not totally flooded and the bike engine surfaces seems only marginally hotter than it normall does -- although the radiator fans are really blowing out the hot air. I don't think it would boil over, but maybe somebody climbing Pike's Peak in mid August two-up and heavily loaded could test that. I was very impressed when I was very heavily two-up loaded and traveled a steep, winding, freshly and heavily graveled path from the Valley floor near Natural Bridge Va to the top of the BRP. Very slow and laborous pace in first and second as teh tires were sinking to the fresh gravel -- the temp gague was at or near or even over the "H" almost all the way and not a hint of boil-over and the engine cases were subjectively normal temps. The bike fell right back into the mid range of gague within a mile or less after topping-out on the BRP. If the coolant does not boil, it would be nearly impossible to overheat the engine, it s the steam pockets that fail to protect and cook the gaskets and warp the heads, etc. So far the NPG+ looks new and the radiator innards look new.

prs

·
Registered
346 Posts
I also like the fact that NPG+ operates at a lower pressure point internally which reduces wear on hoses. Never having to replace coolant is a plus too as is the much higher boilg point.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dexron

I have used the Dexron silicate free stuff and no problems. But next time I plan to use the Honda premix cheap insurance for our aluminum engine and rad setup. Also you should change you stuff every 20k miles or two years max if not sooner. Again cheap insurance.

·
Registered
144 Posts
How much money do you have tied up in your bike?
How much do you want to protect that investment?
Go with the Honda recomended product.
I find it interesting that so many of us wingers are such big OEM brand loyalists.

Most sportier bike sites (whose engines run a LOT harder and higher rpms) users have no problem using most any of the extended life coolants which are silicate free.

Our engine runs hotter because of the side mounted radiators which tend to roast us as well. Same problem RC51, VFR, and ST1300

Mother Honda would love you all as you continue to contribute your cash :lol:

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
I agree with you, and I agree with those who stay with Honda brands.

Peace of mind is worth the price.

To each his own.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Remember, Honda's recommendation always ends with the words "or equivalent". If you're paying Honda's prices for Honda coolant you're wasting your money. I believe that "silicate free" is the main requirement that Honda has. Peak has a coolant that's guaranteed for the life of the vehicle (provided you drain and flush the system prior to installing) that is also compatible with all other coolant types (without the lifetime guarantee if you mix with them) for under $7/gal for the pre-mix at Walmart.
Even if you choose to change this out every two years you're money ahead and it gives me better peace of mind to know I'm using a coolant that will protect better than Honda's.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Fred H. said:
Go to a Honda auto dealer and you can buy a gallon of pre-mixed for about $12 or so.

You other option is to go to Wal Mart and find some that is Silicate Free. If you mix your own, be sure to use distilled water. Never ever put tap water in your cooling system.
Fred,

The Walmarts that I've visited recently no longer carry the Havoline brand that had silicate and phosphate free written on the back label. Upon closer examination of all the coolant sold by Walmart, I was unable to find "silicate and phosphate free" written on any of their jugs. What gives?

I have a problem buying coolant that has been premixed with distilled with at a higher premium price. It was much more convenient for me to buy one gallon of coolant and one of distilled water and mixing it myself.

Can I trust any coolant on the shelves at Walmart to be silicate and phosphate free when no where it is written so?

Your advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mike

·
Registered
21,091 Posts
all the extended life antifreezes are silicate free

why they don't bother to put that information on the bottle any more is the big question i would like to know the answer to

1 - 20 of 27 Posts