GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 05 with 90k, anybody replace all the hoses on there bikes? I was thinking about changing them out for pm. Not a big fan of getting stranded on the back roads.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
From what I've read and seen with my own eyes, it's the hose clamps loosening that you have to be concerned with.
If you take the fuel tank out, you can reach most of the hose clamps, and there's a lot of them to tighten.
To get to all of them, I believe a lot of stuff has to come off.
GoldWingrGreg can provide all the accurate details if you shoot him a PM.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I have a 05 with 90k, anybody replace all the hoses on there bikes? I was thinking about changing them out for pm. Not a big fan of getting stranded on the back roads.
Appears your bike is about 16 years old. I would suspect if there was clamp issues, they probably would have appeared by now.

If you don't have any leaks, I would not be concerned about it right now. Just my thoughts based on some experience.

My '99 Wing with 222,905 miles still had the original hoses and clamps in September 2019 (20 years).

I also know of several other Wings with similar results like mine regarding hoses and clamps..

But its your call..............!!!!!.

·
Registered
8,311 Posts
Lot of work - possibly negative gain. I say, it no leakie, you should leavie... 😉

·
Registered
709 Posts
My 2002 had a leak especially when it a was cold start in the morning,replaced the radiator cap took care of it
So a new radiator cap never hurts

·
Registered
7,015 Posts
my 02 never had the problem (BUT like other's above, that knows more than I) If there's no leak now, it's not going to leak....like my daddy use to say to me when ever I wanted to change something on my old car "if it ain't broke /why fix it"

Ronnie

Reactions: paulcf

·
Registered
264 Posts
I never changed the hose on my 02. I did have the gas tank out to replace the rear shock and took the opportunity to snug up the exposed hose clamps. Traded it off in 17 with well over 100k miles.

·
Vendor
19,446 Posts
Miles ???
Trike ???
Belly pan ???

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
I never changed the hose on my 02. I did have the gas tank out to replace the rear shock and took the opportunity to snug up the exposed hose clamps. Traded it off in 17 with well over 100k miles.
Same here. Removed the tank to tighten the grounds underneath it.
I loved how Honda put the clamps on with the nut under the hoses!

·
Registered
317 Posts
My 03 leaked a bit as it burned off when starting up the bike. I followed Fred Harmon's excellent video and removed the seat and the gas tank (almost empty of gas of course). The nest of hoses was incredible! I cleaned the entire area and then set about to tightening all the clamps I could access. No more burning antifreeze. I also took time to flush out the system and replaced the radiator cap. Frankly the antifreeze that came out looked totally fine but it got flushed out anyways. Not a single hose had any evidence of drying or cracking.

·
Registered
9 Posts
01 with 54k. I tried to change all of the hoses last year. I was able to replace about 3/4 of them. Not easy.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I changed all the hoses on my 02 when I had it apart to do the ADG. Major disassembly required to access all the hoses. I wouldn't bother unless it's leaking or you have access for another reason.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I changed all the hoses on my 02 when I had it apart to do the ADG. Major disassembly required to access all the hoses. I wouldn't bother unless it's leaking or you have access for another reason.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I would like to know if anyone had a hose failure and at what age and or mileage of hose.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I changed all of them out on my 88 1500 when I got it. The bike was 25 years old when I did it. The bike lived its life in the desert SW where rubber dries out. A few of them were hard and I did not trust them. I had the bike totally apart, and it was still a pain to get to some of them.

For your bike, I would not worry about them unless you have all the body work off and a lot of other parts removed. They still have a lot of life left in them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts