GL1800Riders Forums banner

Coolant hoses

1K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  GoldWingrGreg 
#1 ·
I have a 05 with 90k, anybody replace all the hoses on there bikes? I was thinking about changing them out for pm. Not a big fan of getting stranded on the back roads.

#2 ·
From what I've read and seen with my own eyes, it's the hose clamps loosening that you have to be concerned with.
If you take the fuel tank out, you can reach most of the hose clamps, and there's a lot of them to tighten.
To get to all of them, I believe a lot of stuff has to come off.
GoldWingrGreg can provide all the accurate details if you shoot him a PM.

#3 ·
Appears your bike is about 16 years old. I would suspect if there was clamp issues, they probably would have appeared by now.

If you don't have any leaks, I would not be concerned about it right now. Just my thoughts based on some experience.

My '99 Wing with 222,905 miles still had the original hoses and clamps in September 2019 (20 years).

I also know of several other Wings with similar results like mine regarding hoses and clamps..

But its your call..............!!!!!.

#6 ·
my 02 never had the problem (BUT like other's above, that knows more than I) If there's no leak now, it's not going to leak....like my daddy use to say to me when ever I wanted to change something on my old car "if it ain't broke /why fix it"

Ronnie

Reactions: sr71cbx and paulcf
#13 ·
My 03 leaked a bit as it burned off when starting up the bike. I followed Fred Harmon's excellent video and removed the seat and the gas tank (almost empty of gas of course). The nest of hoses was incredible! I cleaned the entire area and then set about to tightening all the clamps I could access. No more burning antifreeze. I also took time to flush out the system and replaced the radiator cap. Frankly the antifreeze that came out looked totally fine but it got flushed out anyways. Not a single hose had any evidence of drying or cracking.

#19 · (Edited)
If I recall, I believe I had one customer that had a ruptured cooling system hose, and another who called in and reported a ruptured hose too. I think he was a DIYr, and replaced the one hose himself.

For a couple of customers, I've done a small hand-full of hose change overs. Usually their complaint starts because of a leak. For example, when pressure tested, the leak leads to a hose clamp leak under the fuel tank. But once the fuel tank is removed to tighten the leaking clamp, and with the system still under pressure, it becomes obvious that new hoses are needed ... they "balloon out" which means that their inner cord is ruptured, and they've lost their inner strength which keeps them from rupturing and the rubber from stretching.

I just did a post on this in my JustWings forum. For more info, go here.

#18 ·
I changed all of them out on my 88 1500 when I got it. The bike was 25 years old when I did it. The bike lived its life in the desert SW where rubber dries out. A few of them were hard and I did not trust them. I had the bike totally apart, and it was still a pain to get to some of them.

For your bike, I would not worry about them unless you have all the body work off and a lot of other parts removed. They still have a lot of life left in them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.