GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wife noticed a drop of fluid on her driveway (Iwould have never seen) and checking found that coolant was leaking from 2004 GL1800. There was quite a bit on belly pan. Found coolant running down left side of engine block. Took to dealer and they found that none of the hose clamp were completly tightened down. Had no problems with overheating yet but resevoir tank was very low. might want to check this on the new ones. Plug

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
This is a fairly common problem. My '02 has an intemittent leak, which I expect the cause to be found as loose clamps. That reminds me, it is time to make an appointment with the dealer!

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
That's been a problem from day 1 on a hit & miss basis, some have the problem and some don't. It says a lot about QC on the assembly line. :(

For those of us that have had to DIY due to Dealer problems we have found that in some cases the Fairing has to come off due to the direction of the clamps, that isn't too much fun. :shock:

Then there are the 2 Y connectors under the Fuel Tank that has to come out, what a pain that is. :x

To make it even more of a PITA I had to do mine all over again after the Dealer did SB-13 :evil:

Jerry

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I am glad to see that Honda Manufacturing has remained consistent through the 04 model. I would have figured, that with all our bitching about: grommets, clamps, bag latches, fluid levels, and the like, that word would have gotten back to Marysville. Guess not.

Perhaps this is all part of Honda's bigger plan on keeping us happy. Poor quality control gives us something to bitch about and things to fix ourselves, as the Honda Dealership repair shops are suspect themselves.

Thank you Honda for making me Happy!

Bulldog

·
Registered
994 Posts
Bulldog said:
I am glad to see that Honda Manufacturing has remained consistent through the 04 model. I would have figured, that with all our bitching about: grommets, clamps, bag latches, fluid levels, and the like, that word would have gotten back to Marysville. Guess not.

Bulldog
Have no fear Bulldog - Q/C has not improved. I too thought by waiting for an 04 a lot of the small items would have been corrected. So far - 3 grommets missing, 1 push pin missing, 1 screw missing and a few loose. After the first 200 miles I had fluid pouring out - I discovered a hose with the clamp on at such an angle that I am surprised it stayed on.

Wonder what I will find when I really start looking.

By the way - I still like the 04 except for the seating position - part of which is being corrected as we write

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Haven't you guys figured this out? They only improve things that don't need it. This year we got a new heat shield somewhere near the rear brakes. I don't remember any problems in that area due to heat. Next year I am hopeing for improvement on that CB/CD access cover in the trunk. That TMK has never given trouble either. :lol:

·
Registered
674 Posts
My 01 and 04 had loose clamps from the factory!!!!!!!

Bulldog said:

Thank you Honda for making me Happy! Bulldog
They must have there heads up there ass..Bulldog!!

My 01 and 04 had loose clamps from the factory :banghead:

R

·
0 Posts

i am owner of 2004 and proud to say its great, cant find any thing wrong with it , every thing fits and it is hands obove my old 96 asp it seems some people have all the bad luck or just look to find something to complain about.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I guess there are "Friday motorcycles" just like there are "Friday cars". I grew up in Detroit and anytime we got an automobile with any type of problem, we assumed it was a "Friday car".

Well, maybe my '04 is the exception 'cause so far ... nothing (I mean nothing) is wrong, not working correctly, missing, or leaking. I've only got about 1,800 miles and took delivery back in early December. Hope it stays that way!! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts