GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I started my trike this AM, I was letting it idle as I suited up, and when I got on there was vapor coming from the right(throttle) side engine cover that smelled like coolant, and there was a quarter sized puddle on the floor under it.

I thought I had tightened all the clamps last summer when I had the shelter off for a filter change. Can I reach this particular clamp/leak area from the engine cover, or does the shelter need to come off???

What's been your experience?? Thanks for replies! Going to spend several days in Maggie Valley end of next week, really didn't need this now!

The trike is an '04 Motortrike with Aqua Shields.

Buster

·
Registered
469 Posts
With a "quarter-sized" puddle under it, I'd think it'd be fairly easy to locate the leak if it's one that can be seen with covers on. Speaking just from my own past experiences, I'd start with a cold motor, and pressurize the system using a pressure test kit, (or a home made one), to see if I could locate it BEFORE starting to remove a bunch of tupperware. I pulled mine off, spent 2 days looking for a leak that should have taken a few minutes if I'd have pressured it up first. If you leave a "purchace price" deposit, our auto parts stores will rent or loan testing kits, when we're done, take it back, get the deposit back. FYI, the "Evertough # 67085" has the correct adaptor for the radiator neck. O'Rielly Auto Parts stores here! Hope this helps.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Buster, do you have the comfort package with the foot vents? If you do you can get to the lower clamps with the right tools thru the open vent on the right side and the shifter boot on the left side. At least I could.
Elk Man

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From your comment and looking at the diagram in the service manual and seeing the area that the fluid was coming from, I believe the fitting at the back of the cylinder head is leaking. I'll get it on the lift tomorrow and do some more exploring. Thanks for getting me headed in the right direction!

I have a pressure tester that I'll also use if I don't find the leak right away!

I'll let y'all know what the diagnosis is!!

Thanks a bunch!

Buster, do you have the comfort package with the foot vents? If you do you can get to the lower clamps with the right tools thru the open vent on the right side and the shifter boot on the left side. At least I could.
Elk Man

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Hey Buster, Nearby Resident! I like Crawdaddy's Kitchen, on Mansfield Rd! Want to? Does your Better Half ride with you, mine does? It's a Small World!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts