GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search but failed to find the right answer.

Performed complete PM on my bike this past weekend, coolant, air filter, break fluid, break pads, etc... Rode the bike for the first time and have a coolant leak on the right side. Waiting for the bike to cool off now but the radiator cap is suspect. I was very careful when re-installing it but I will have to re-check. Are there any hoses that I may have kinked? Removal of the top shelter did not require any cooling system parts removal. I may have over filled the over flow tank very slightly. The leak is spilling coolant on the right side of the engine and on my right boot.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Sounds like you may have spilled some in the radiator cap area, or the cap is not tight (you have to push down on it to get past a detent on the collar in order to tighten it all the way) I believe it's designed that way to keep the cap from blowing off under pressure when you try to remove it. Keeps you from scalding yourself. It could also be the overflow hose that connects to the neck at the radiator cap. May have come loose or was cut somehow and allowing antifreeze to run down the right side of the bike. The antifreeze soaking your right foot points to this area. I don't believe it's your overflow tank since it vents rearward past your footpeg.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'd look at the raditator cap, had mine off checking the antifreeze and had a small wet spot under the bike after I took it out for a run. Checked the coolent level in the raditator and it was aboout 1/2 inch down, filled it up put the cap back on and haven't had anymore wet spots. I was lazy and didn't want to take the heel toe shifter off.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I would also look at the cap. I took my cap off of my '97 Kaw to check the level and the rubber seal had adheared to the neck. When it was removed, I failed to notice that there was then a chip in the seal and a coolant leak started once the system pressurized. A new cap fixed it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I haven't heard of this happening on the GL1800, but I know of several 1500s that had the radiator cap fail to hold pressure.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It may have been the cap. I cleaned it although I saw no trash on the seal. I also rotated it 180. Rode the bike 10 miles and let idle for 10 minutes. So far so good. The 30 minute commute home will tell the tale.

I did spill a small amount when I refilled the system. Is there a place on the motor where fluid can pool and then blow out as you drive done the road?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Yep, same thing happened to me after I changed the coolant.
I also had some coming out through the right fairing vent where the right hand radiator is located.
It was not a large amount and soon stopped.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts