GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On two occasions that my trike sat for a week and a half or more, I have noticed an ever so slight puddle of antifreeze under the center, near the drain tube area. Only three inches or so in diameter, and it does'nt take much fluid to correct level on coolant check stick (a couple of spoons full).
What should I be looking for as the possible culprit ? This is an area of the bike I have not been in to yet and am not familiar with. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
Coolent line couplings under the fuel tank is my first guess. Burned through recovery tank line due to contact with O2 sensor is guess two. Guess three would be small hole in recovery tank. Guess four would be water pump seal failure causing very slow drip from weep hole. Or, maybe a faulty cap..

prs

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
PR just hit the most likely in about the right order. I'll bet on whats behind door number 1 - and I think the fuel tank has to come out to get to it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Tighten the hose clanp on the coolent line that lies parallel with and on the frame on the left side just above the side stand.
TC

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will look at all the mentioned items tommorrow and hope for the best. The waterpump replace looks to be a pain. Might have to break down and buy Fred's video's, been wanting to get them anyway. Thanks again for the suggestions.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Just got mine back from service today. Mine leaked just as you said, under the middle, after it sat for a while. They said it was the hose conection at the thermostat.

This is the third time it has been in for leaking. They have found something each time, but the leak would come back after awhile.

Twice I tightened the clamp just in front of the shift lever. They found something else before, but this time I hope is the last.

Also, this time they forgot to reconect the cable that unlocks the right pocket. Boy what a pain to get that thing open. There was a post about that today that helped. Thanks. This was the first time of several visits that anything was not done properly. Anyone can make a mistake.

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
Roy; thay has to be discouraging. I "think" Honda has changed the three way couplers that were so bad to seep. On my '02 the hose clamps were reallyb loose when I first tackeled them due to persistent cooked coolant stink. My lower right side triple fitting was seeping right onto the right CAT. The clamps ran out of threads before they were even snug! I bought new clamps with more range and snuggesd them up (geting them really tight is a sure way to get a leak with thin plastic fittings). Even snut the danged things seeped. I ordered new triple fittings and noticed the new parts had excessive "casting seam fins" running parallel with the contact area for the hose ends. I used a single edge razor blade to scrape the casting fins off and to get a very smooth surgace. When I changed the fittings, I notided both original triple fittings had the same lines and the antifreeze had left tell-tale seep line stains along each seam -- two on all three ends of two different fittings -- no wonder they seep so persistently! Yes, to get to the front fitting the tank must come off -- Fred shows how. To get to the lower right side fitting the easiest access is to lift the bike on a lift jack, place jack stands under the rear passenger quard bars, remove the lift jack so you can crawl under there and work form the bottom. The recovery tank removes easily to expose that lower fitting right next to the rubber drive shaft boot. Take care NOT to unseat the driveshaft boot - its a royal PIA to replace on the rearward fitting.

prs

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
was making a final inspection the night before a long trip and notice the coolant leaking. couldn't locate the leak, took it to the dealer the next morning and they found the hoses at the water pump were leaking. it took about 3 to 4 hours to get to it, removing the fuel tank to simply tighten the hose clamps. covered under waranty. while they had the bike stripped, i gave them a air filter i had and had them replace the old one. no cost to me, but cost me a day of vacation. no problems since.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I put it on jacks today and gave it a look. Couldn't find anything obvious, so I tightened everything I could get to. There was no drip trail on the water pump, thankfully. Lubed and PM'd trike things while there. Took it for a ride and parked for a look-see the next day or two. Thanks Guys for all the support. It's nice to have all the knowledge and experience you offer.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
I found my hidden leak at the Y pipe coming from the water pump! Loose Hose Clamp.

·
Vendor
18,416 Posts
My coolant only leaks in the winter and since summer is only 3 months away, I won't worry about my leaks for now. I had my Wing in the shop 5 times for a coolant leak.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts