GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need your help on this one. I had the Silver Taz in the shop for the common coolant leaks, clamps not tight. Now when I check the coolant level after everything has cooled, it is down to the bottom of the 3/4" hose that feeds the right radiator. After topping it off many times the overflow tank is full and I mean full. So I vaccumed the coolant out of the overflow tank. Talked to the dealer and replaced the cap. After several more rides, cool downs and topping off the radiator same thing is happening. In the past when I checked the coolant level it was full to the filler neck. Any ideas on this one. Bike still runs at same temp on the gauge never been hot 02 with 51000 miles.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Taz,

It sounds like the hose from the overflow tank may be loose or have a small hole in it.

Coolant expands as it gets hot and is captured by the overflow tank. As things cool down the coolant from the overflow tank is drawn back into the radiator as long as there is no air leaks. If the hose between the overflow tank and rdiator is not air tight, air will be drawn into the radiator as it cools and the coolant will stay in the overflow tank.

Have not experienced this on the GL but have seen it many times on cages.

·
Registered
224 Posts
coolant level

Don't know if this exactly answers your question or not. I just fixed a small leak in my gl1800 (loose clamp). Removed the cap and added small amount of coolant till visible. Checked the level in the overflow bottle and it didn't even register. So added coolant to overflow bottle until it was at the upper level mark on dip stick. Started bike and had coolant flowing out the bottom of the bike from the overflow bottle.

NOW I read the instructions.........

It says to always fill coolant through the overflow bottle and not by removing the cap. Not sure why this is so and not sure I agree with it.
However it also says that the coolant level in the overflow bottle should be checked with the engine at normal operating temperatures. In other words, HOT.

By filling the overflow bottle cold, I had OVER filled it by quite a bit. Syphoned out the allot of the coolant from the overflow bottle, ran the bike up to temp, and then checked the level. Added coolant to the proper level and everything is fine.

Regards,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts