GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone made a shield to protect the bottom of the coolant overflow tank? Thinking about using a piece of old heavy duty inner tube or maybe discarded mud flap to protect the bottom from road rash/debris. What have you done or considered if anything? Just thinking out loud about possible options. Juneau Ron

·
Premium Member
5,635 Posts

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Any 2 piece belly pan will provide protection for coolant reservoir as well as oil filter. Mcgyver's pan is excellent.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have used an aluminum license plate. It can easily be formed to fit around the tank.
I do like your idea of using a piece of mud flap. That would offer more protection.

·
Registered
784 Posts
When I ran over a big truck tire carcass last year in Jacksonville FL my two piece belly pan was ripped in 1/2. The front door and about 1/2 of the main page were gone and never seen again.
My oil filter and over flow bottle were in perfect shape... Way better than my nerves.
I vote for the belly pan.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
I agree a belly pan is almost a MUST. While I've never really heard or felt anything hitting the underside of the bike, my belly pan has been on for about 60K miles and has plenty of 'dings'.
I recently bought a Macgyver belly Pan but didn't fit right so I returned it. Ray was kind enough to return my payment. Another person on the board that has published a 'test' of the Macgyver says he wasn't convinced that his quality control is up to snuff. (my words, not his)
Obviously some fit well as there are quite a few satisfied customers.
thecruiser

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've had a belly pan for a couple years now. I also just completed a 981 mile trip and I heard plenty of spit up gravel bouncing off the pan. It's a strange sound when it first happens but once you realize what is going on it's fairly comforting knowing the pan is doing it's job. I highly recommend a belly pan of some sort. You are right on track with your ideas. Innovation is good, pass on what you come up with.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I agree a belly pan is almost a MUST. While I've never really heard or felt anything hitting the underside of the bike, my belly pan has been on for about 60K miles and has plenty of 'dings'.
I recently bought a Macgyver belly Pan but didn't fit right so I returned it. Ray was kind enough to return my payment. Another person on the board that has published a 'test' of the Macgyver says he wasn't convinced that his quality control is up to snuff. (my words, not his)
Obviously some fit well as there are quite a few satisfied customers.
thecruiser
:twisted: Yes the stock seat for the GL1800 will not fit either. And those bolts like to strip out and then the frame has to be re-tapped.

Such as I saw at a work party one time, I showed them how to change the air filter, trying to let them do some of the work, finally tole them....just watch please......Lol!

Four guys one per bolt, two hours later and the seat still will not fit...........

Oh yea..........lots of things on the GL1800.........do not fit. Chuckle. :lol:

·
Registered
782 Posts
I have the Tulsa 2 piece on mine. Oil change is easy and it has many dings on it. A few of the dings look serious enough to have done damage to filter or overflow tank. I think Fred has a video of an install of a homemade one. I would definitely put one on my next Wing.

·
Registered
958 Posts

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I also have the Tulsa Two Piece Belly Pan. I'd have to guess that price would be the biggest difference between one manufacturer of Belly Pans and another as the actual design of these devices is fairly simple. But regardless of from whom one purchases this item, like insurance, you don't buy them because you know you're going to have a problem . . . you buy them because the downside of not having them is so unexceptable.

·
Registered
20,954 Posts
When I ran over a big truck tire carcass last year in Jacksonville FL my two piece belly pan was ripped in 1/2. The front door and about 1/2 of the main page were gone and never seen again.
My oil filter and over flow bottle were in perfect shape... Way better than my nerves.
I vote for the belly pan.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
I ran over a blown recap in California last year and believe it or not my wing was actually airborne from it, no belly pan and no damage where a belly pan is supposed to help but the right side muffler and exhaust cover took a pretty severe hit and have serious damage, I consider myself very lucky not to have crashed :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
After seeing Fred's a long time ago I made one like his and wire tied it up. Doing good.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
After seeing Fred's a long time ago I made one like his and wire tied it up. Doing good.
+1

With it in place, the only time I think about the coolant reservoir is when I'm flushing the cooling system.
Boy, that little piece of aluminum has some dings!

Thanks, Fred.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts