GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I flushed the coolant and in pulling the reserve out I busted one of the hoses...I think. In looking at the parts diagram it is the one that is called Bulk Hose Vacuum. Will the system work properly with this broken? In the diagram blow up it looks like this hose does not create a circuit.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Curt

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
You can ride coast to coast with no tank and no hoses.

Just there for expansion and sometimes a bit of make up. As long as you check the coolant in the radiator occasionally I suppose you would not even need it.

In any event you will be fine until you get parts. You do need to replace the broken hose , soon as you get one. As no as designed it will not work properly without it.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
The overflow hose isn't critical, but the siphion hose from the neck of the filler cap to the reserve tank must be maintained.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Next time you want to change the coolant in the reservoir, use a mighty vac. Works perfectly without taking the reservoir tank out.

Sorry about busting the hose.

·
Registered
17,244 Posts
Your diagram does not appear for me. The hose from the radiator cap neck to the bottle needs to kept and should be well sealed. Take the broken tubing to any auto parts store and buy a sectio of bulk tube in the same size. The fitting on top of the recovery tank is frail and can break off. Thank goodness the tank is not expensive. There is a tube from that fitting that courses downward and through a stay on the left of the motor close to the O2 sensor and fuel fill overflow drain. That tube and the fuel overflow tube do get very brittle and frail due to the intense heat over time. Again, its just common bulk tubing. The recovery tank keep you from losing coolant during normal operation cycles. The more more warm-up and cool off sessions you do, the quicker you would purge coolant out of the radiators if you stop using it. If you never let it cool off, you would never need the recovery tank at all. I use a permanent water free coolant that is expensive and not easy to buy locally, so for me it is important not to lose the stuff. Besides, if you let it leak out in that area without the drain hose, the coolant will get on the exhaust and make that familiar odor and mess.

prs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts