GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! First I don't post on here often so if this is in the wrong place please move to the appropriate location. :)

Today thanks to my own stupidity (No, I'm not telling you what I did!! LOL) I cracked the coolant reservoir on my Wing. It seems like a small leak but big enough that I need to repair or replace the tank. Have any of you had to do this? Any suggestions? If I do need to replace the tank any recommended vendors or just the local Honda shop?

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Did you use some kind of jack lift to do the damage ?Just by a new one there pretty cheap not worth messing around with glues resins ect (y)

·
Registered
861 Posts
Then get a belly pan. The placement of the reservoir is pretty poor and prone to damage from road debris and sometimes gets damaged when loading into a trailer.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Replace it. Partzilla sells them for like $36, then like pwhoever said, throw a belly pan on there.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Well OP,
Don't feel too bad. When we purchased our present '08 Wing, back in Dec of '10, it was a rainy day and, I didn't want to ride my new-to-me Wing, in the rain, back home. It was only about an hours drive but, I don't like riding in the rain. So, I trailered it. Well, loading it was no big deal, things worked out good.

But, it's when I got home, that things went south quick. The angle of the ramp on the trailer was not very steep when we loaded the bike. But, when off loading the bike at home, the angle of the ramp was much steeper. WOOOOOPS!!

I never thought a Wing could high center in that kind of a situation but, I thought WRONG! I think before I hit the bottom of the ramp, there was green blood running down the ramp, CRAP! That's when I learned about the little tank stuck in the bottom of a Wing. What a bone-head place to put it. Anyway, talk about feeling like a bonehead myself. So, within about a couple hours of purchasing my Wing, I was buying parts for it. Oh well, live and learn.
Scott

·
Vendor
15,872 Posts
Replace with new. Be sure to transfer the collar.

·
Vendor
15,872 Posts
I will definitely transfer the collar! I mean I know exactly what you're talking about but JUST in case there's somebody reading this who isn't the technical genius I am could you maybe explain what you mean by the collar? :) :)
Certainly ... collars are used in many places on 5th gens. There purpose is to protect a bolt hole that goes through a plastic part. They do this in 2 ways, the first is to keep the plastic, round hole from getting deformed, and the 2nd way is to keep the plastic from getting smashed as the bolt gets tightened. Since reservoirs need removed and inspected every 8,000 miles, I find many collars missing. Another popular place for a collar to be missing is the one that site between the battery box and the frame where the bolt goes through the battery bracket. At JustWings, those are considered fast-moving parts. Part #30 in the 1st fishe, and part #18 in the 2nd fishe.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Ok,
I'll bite. It was a looooooonggg time ago when I replaced the little overflow tank and, I don't remember if I transferred the "collar" or not. So, I guess I'll dive into the SM to see what we're talking about.
Scott

Ok, on edit: I see it was just explained. Thank you very much.
Scott

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Hello! First I don't post on here often so if this is in the wrong place please move to the appropriate location. :)Today thanks to my own stupidity (No, I'm not telling you what I did!! LOL) I cracked the coolant reservoir on my Wing. It seems like a small leak but big enough that I need to repair or replace the tank. Have any of you had to do this? Any suggestions? If I do need to replace the tank any recommended vendors or just the local Honda shop?
I had one that was leaking, so I ordered a replacement but repaired it while waiting for the replacement. The repair worked well, so I never bothered replacing it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts