GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a used 2005 about a year ago with 90k on the clock. Bike was really clean but like usual no records. When I got it home I changed the engine and final drive oil, and put new brake pads on.

Fast forward to yesterday. Getting ready for a long road trip next month and went to replace the coolant. Drained the engine with no problem and then went to the reservoir and it was bone dry. Pulled the tank and filled it with water and there is a hole in one end of the tank. The bike has ran perfect for the last year and the engine temps have never budged near or over the mid-point. How much potential damage may have been done to the engine if any? Is the fluid in the reservoir continually cycling or is it more of an over flow tank. I have a new one on the way. Thanks for any input.

Marty

·
Registered
994 Posts
I understand it to be an overflow and resevour (sp), I think I would have taped it up good with some silver seam tape like used on insulated ducts (but not duct tape) and jammed it back in there... Mine had a small hole (pre-belly pan) and that's whats worked good for me for a couple of years...

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I understand it to be an overflow tank as well. If it was cycling through you would have run the radiators dry.

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
When the system heats up, the radiator will allow fluid expansion to vent excess into the tank. Then when the bike cools down, it draws it back into the radiator. So it is a basically reservoir to catch the overflow. The cap is designed to allow it to vent off at a specific pressure, and then let it draw it back in when the fluid in the system cools and contracts. If the fluid in the overflow tank is drained, then the system won't be able to refill itself when it cools, and it will end up with an air pocket in the top of the radiator, which reduces the efficiency of the system.

You can usually repair a hole in a reservoir with some JB weld, but if it is cracked, you probably will need a new overflow tank. It's also a good idea to put a license plate or some aluminum on the bottom of it to protect it from punctures.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I agree... JB Weld is the perfect repair, then look into a belly pan. My bottle and underside looks like a war zone, so I covered it up with a belly pan ( from mcgyver0857) I was amazed at how much hits the underside of the bike. Coolant reservoir should be 1/2 full always.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts