GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
History is 01 with 125K. Coolant changed every year using Honda automotive coolant ( blue ). Started smelling coolant recently but no puddles or significant loss. Overflow tank level is ok. When I took out the right pocket to check / top off, the coolant in the neck was brown crappy, rusty looking stuff. Where did that come from??? I am going to tear into it and replace the water pump, flush it out and pressure test, check all clamps, etc, but can't imagine why the brown look to the coolant? Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Check to see if your oil is milky

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Check to see if your oil is milky

Yeah, could have a blown head gasket, letting combustion gases get into your cooling system.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Yeah, could have a blown head gasket, letting combustion gases get into your cooling system.

Same thing happened to my truck just before the head gasket blew. Coolant all turned brown. I was told it turns brown from soot from the exhaust. If your oil is not milky, then you may have a head gasket leak to the exhaust side which would be better for you engine that one to the oil side. Pressure from the exhaust pushes into the coolant jacket instead of internal to the engine.

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
Don't replace the pump until you get the flaw corrected. I wonder if you can see bubbles of gas going into the recovery tank when you blip the throttle?

How can the OP determine which head is most likely to be the culprit. Flip a coin?

prs

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Leak down tester, the compressed air will be see and hear air bubbling up into the radiator water. There will also be the leak percentage as well... should be able to quickly pinpoint the problem cylinder.

Don't replace the pump until you get the flaw corrected. I wonder if you can see bubbles of gas going into the recovery tank when you blip the throttle?

How can the OP determine which head is most likely to be the culprit. Flip a coin?

prs

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
coolant leak

Not what I wanted to hear. No sign of foamy oil and its running fine. I'll do a leak test on the cooling system, then do a compression check and see what that shows. I already bought a new water pump. Since it is original with 125K, I'm not tearing that far down and not replacing it.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
To really truelly tell if the head gasket is blown, find a tune up place that uses a 4 gas anylizer. Remove the rad cap start the engine, wave the majic wand over the rad, if the meter shows co2 then you got combustion in there. Then leak down for which side altho I usually do both.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts