GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 with 3800 miles. I have let it sit 3weeks and on a 100 mile ride i smelled coolant 2-3 times. no temp problem or noticable leak. has anyone had this problem before? I dont think its major, but i dont like to even think i have a problem. any advise... no im not selling it LOL
thanks for any help...
my 1st thought was just to ride it and see what happens??

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
Very common problem. It seems the assembly line folks are incapable of properly applying coolant hose clamps. It can be a royal PIA to follow-up on an assembled bike. Ask your dealer to take care of it.

prs

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
As Pigeon Roost said, take it to your dealer. I had the same lose clamps on our 05, & then again on our 06. With luck, they can have you in & out within an hour. If it's the ones under the tank like on our 05, that'll take them a little longer. It a warranty job. Good luck!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Had my 07 in the shop Friday for a coolant leak. It would leak about an ounce and show up center of cowl on my garage floor. Thought about taking the cowl off myself but after hearing how hard it was to get back on, I thought I would let the dealer do the job. They recorded 3.4 hours to tighten a clamp.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Suggest you check the clamp under the bottom of the right radiator, there is a cross over hose, found my clamp loose, occasional smell and a small trace of coolant after the bike sat for several days on the top of the forward end of the right valve cover looking forward. Was able to tighten it without a total disassembly.

S

·
0 Posts
I had this happen just prior to parking the bike for the winter. In the morning when I would fire up I could smell anti-freeze and on cool mornings some steam coming out the gear shifter opening. I peered into the gearshift opening and saw some wetness around a 1" hose at the rear of the engine. I was able to simply pull the left side chrome (plastic chrome) off and tighten the clamp - as you stated no lost coolant to speak of just the enough to cause a smell.

I was not concerned over the radiator fittings as I had removed the radiatiors once already to reverse the fans and knew they were tight. I am a bit concerned over hose failure as the miles add up though.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Leak

Haven't ridden in more than a week due to all the rain. Started my 04 on the sidestand and almost immediately had white smoke/vapor coming out. Never a sign of a leak under the bike.

I ran it until the engine warmed up and put on the center stand. Let it sit another week and started it on the center stand. No smoke/vapor. Leak must be on top of the engine and the coolant is being burnt off by the exhaust manifold when it is on the side stand.

Guess I'll take it into the dealer. Surely they will cover that under warranty.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
This is a very common thing with new wings before You do as all suggest , I would recommend You ride it quite a while longer, and keep an eyeon the collant tank, they all smeel strong new espically is not washed properly there is a oil that they put on the engine that smeel like coolant when breaking in , it's probably not leaking just this oil and it could just be a small spill of coolant when the engine was ran for break in at the factory when you get it the motor is already broke in

·
Registered
123 Posts
coolant leak

It is definitly a warranty job. Dealer will take care of it no problem. Don't fool around with it just let them fix it. That really is what the warranty if for. Took the dealer about three hours to do mine. Had to take the whole shelter top off.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Common and "SHOULD BE RECALLED". Done mine and a PITA!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts