GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

have been reading your experiences however I have not come across any one mentioning smoke. what is happeing is as soon as I start her up with engine cold, smoke shoots out by shift lever for 1/2 minute then stops.
I am assuming this is coolant since I had to add but I am not able to tell from the odor having smelled it before.

Is the smoke part of the coolant problem so many have had or is this different?

Your thoughts appreciated.

Happy Holidays
aelgueza/titanium 04 ABS

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
aelgueza said:
... what is happeing is as soon as I start her up with engine cold, smoke shoots out by shift lever for 1/2 minute then stops.
I am assuming this is coolant since I had to add but I am not able to tell from the odor having smelled it before.
Sounds to me like you have an anti-freeze leak that winds up on the left side exhaust pipes. Right after starting the engine those pipes will get hot enough to cause the fluid to turn to steam.

The Wing is well known to sometimes have loose hose clamps, so, since your bike is still under warranty, it looks like you need to drop it off at your dealer for some service.

·
Registered
130 Posts
It sounds to me like it might be a very minor exhaust leak at one of the mesh gaskets that join the pipes - header-to-muffler or crossover joint - or even a pinhole in the left header pipe. When it "smokes" for a short period just after start-up on a cold day, the "smoke" is actually water vapor (steam) as a by-product of combustion. The systems are not sufficiently hot to totally "gassify" the water produced when fuel burns; therefore, steam as visible vapor. A very small, pinhole leak will cause the gasses to jet out - to "shoot out" in the writer's words - due to the high pressure of the exhaust burst. The "smoke" stops when the systems heat up.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
If it's an antifreeze leak dripping on the exhaust pipes and vaporizing, it smells somewhat sweet. If it's an exhaust leak at the header gasket, it will smell like charcoal and/or rotten eggs.

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
There is a small weep hole in each muffler bottom, but its further back than the shifter. The possibility of a loose header gasket or muffler gasket is a good guess. If its coolant on the catalytic converter, it would take a few seconds for it to get hot enough to steam and then it would stink similar to maple syrup being burned. The left O2 sensor is very close to the coolant suction pipe if that pipe if it is not routed throuh its proper channel. If they touch, the rubber pipe gets cooked rock hard and stinks of burning rubber. then the pipe cracks and begins to weep as the bke is cooling down and can drip a bit onto the Cat to steam-off during next start. Inspection of this is as simple as removing the coolant recovery tank and directly inspecting the rubber pipes. Water pump seals have been known to leak and three is an inspection nipple or weep hole at the lower case edge that will be a tell-tale if it is leaking. Big job to fix for a DYI guy.

prs

·
Registered
589 Posts
Last month Angel was having a similar problem. Sometimes she got steam (smelling like maple syrup she said). Took it in for repair and dealer found several small hose weeps but big problem was leaking water pump. Thanks goodness it was still under warranty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts