GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting a pacit rack style carrier for awhile. Went for a ride the other week, and Frank (HiYoSilver) said he had the Crisco rack. He had no complaints except for not having exaust turndowns in the beginning. Saw the Rivco rack on line as well as the original Pacit Rack from Dixion. Hard choice to make. Any comments from users?
Bob VanNess
Royal Oak,MI

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I have the small Rivco rack and am well satisfied. A little less money than Pakit Rak. Have used it on several trips and it does what we need it to do.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
If a vertical hitch , Dauntless has one! I have one and like it.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Check with wingit84 on this board. He makes a rack similer to the RIVCO but much better quality and its a perfect size for a cooler or a peice of luggage. I am at work right now and won't be home until Tuesday night otherwise I would post a picture. He does all the work himself then has it powdercoated. Its a great accessory.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I like the Rivco. Works with a bag or a nice size cooler.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Bob,
There were three reasons I went with the Chrisco Rack.
1. The rack and hitch (Bushtec V2) were less than the Pakkit Rak and adapter, $359 as opposed to $399.
2. Both could be ordered from the same place.
3. With the hitch already in place I could upgrade to a trailer for less cost.

The only downside, for me, was that I had to purchase a bag separately. For that I went with a Cabela Boundry Water duffel bag for $49.95, which is 100% waterproof.

The upside to the Pakkit Rak is that the bag is made for the Rak and you wouldn't have to buy that separately.

Hope this helps,
Frank

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
The Pak-it-Rak bag is made by Nelson-Rigg and is available at www.extragear1.com for under $100.00. If you have a hitch you don't have to be too creative to pattern a rack that will lock the carry bag on. Mine was made for under $20.00 using surplus steel. Using the Bushtec hitch, the N-R GWR 1000 bag, and the metal rack, it will hold more than the P-i-R recommended weight. When traveling, I leave the rack on the bike, but take the bag into the motel or condo. Works great- costs less

·
Registered
261 Posts
Ok in an idot, but here goes anyway. how much can one of these ice chest racks hold with ice and stuff in lbs.?
How much is the tongue weight for a trailer?
How much does a gold wing pull?
does it affect the warranty?
I'm sort of scared adding alot of stuff to my wing because my warranty doesnt run out till aug 2013.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I built a cooler rack to fit in my GL1800's Kury hitch (vertical receiver). The first step was that I went to Wally World and bought an appropriately sized super insulated cooler. I then built the rack to fit the cooler. A couple of bungees hold the cooler down. I was concerned about not having turndowns on the exhaust but it turned out to not be an issue. When all was said and done, I probably have less than $30 invested in the cooler and rack plus an hour of cutting, welding and painting.

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you put a hitch on your bike to mount a rack and bag/cooler to, (non-Pack-it style), can you easily remove the hitch when not needed? Or is it left sticking out the back of the bike all the time?

Thanks
Mack

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
M&M said:
If you put a hitch on your bike to mount a rack and bag/cooler to, (non-Pack-it style), can you easily remove the hitch when not needed? Or is it left sticking out the back of the bike all the time?

Thanks
Mack
I have the Bushtec vertical receiver hitch. When nothing is attached, you cannot tell I have a hitch installed. I can install either the ball hitch or the cooler rack at any time. Takes about 2 minutes to mount and secure.

Bartman

·
Registered
227 Posts
This is an example of a rack that is probably too big but it did work out fine. We carried about 50-60 pounds net load with it on one long trip. If I made another one I would make it just a little smaller but not much.

·
Registered
949 Posts
You have a PM.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts