GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a small cooler rack 11X17 and i am wondring about how much weight i can put on it before the front wheel starts to get light. right now i have a case of water (24 bottles) in it and it is heavy. is this too much weight?

what is your experience?

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Heavy stuff should be placed as far forward as possible. Do you also have ice in the cooler? Rack + hitch + cooler + water + ice? The effect of the weight on the bike is multiplied by the distance behind the center of gravity. I, personally wouldn't put anything that heavy on a trailer hitch rack, but I know the trailer guys probably know better than me what the limit is. Weight behind the COG also mashes the rear tire, so tire pressure becomes critical.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
max

I think 35# is the maximum rated weight. I have never ridden with that much, because I don't use it for short runs and for long distances I prefer to use max numbers as the point to deduct 25% for my use. That is a fairly long fulcrum to work on your suspension and frame for long distances. For around town on good roads and slower speeds I would go more if needed, but still not much over the 35. jmho

Richard

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont think it weighs 35 lbs. id guess 20 lbs.

anyone who has any insight please chime in cause i am leaving for a 3 week trip tuesday.

in the meantime i will go for a test ride and see if i can feel it.......

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
I heard Rivco tell a customer that you can stand on their rack but they only recommend loads of 35bs.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I heard Rivco tell a customer that you can stand on their rack but they only recommend loads of 35bs.
I run a 4 gallon fuel cell that is hitch mounted. No problems in the last 120,000 miles.
Good thing about drinks, You can always reduce the amount you carry if it doesn't feel right.

greginky
IBA #424

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Using one posters theory of the fulcrum of the point of weight applied w/respect of the distance from the rear axle, which actually would be somewhere near the attachment of another mathematical equation of the triangle created by the mounting points of the rear shock in relationship to the pivot point of the rear swing arm, considering another calculation of the trapezoid from the pivot point of the rear swing arm with respect to the steering head bearings as related to the rake and trail present to the position of the front axle rotation point depending on the size of the front tire and how much wear it has......... Oh never mind, put the water on the rack and go:joke:

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Deputy dog is correct.

Without having exact measurements, a 35 pound load on a rack behind the bike will decrease the front wheel load by about 12 pounds. What needs to be equally considered is that it increases the load to the rear by 47 pounds.
It's simply a statics problem.

Jeff...

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Deputy dog is correct.

Without having exact measurements, a 35 pound load on a rack behind the bike will decrease the front wheel load by about 12 pounds. What needs to be equally considered is that it increases the load to the rear by 47 pounds.
It's simply a statics problem.

Jeff...
But, don't forget-part of my incompleted formula above that must be considered is one or two people and their weight sitting on the bike:joke::lol:

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
But, don't forget-part of my incompleted formula above that must be considered is one or two people and their weight sitting on the bike:joke::lol:
The number or weight of the people riding on the bike make no difference. The additional load (or decrease to the front wheel load) from the cooler are still the same. This is simply added (or subtracted from the front) of whatever load exists.

Jeff...

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
i dont think it weighs 35 lbs. id guess 20 lbs.

anyone who has any insight please chime in cause i am leaving for a 3 week trip tuesday.

in the meantime i will go for a test ride and see if i can feel it.......
First, I'd see what the specs say. I don't have a hitch and rack, but I do have a Pakit Rak. Max weight for that is 20 lbs. and I've ridden for 6 years and thousands of miles with a pack at near that weight. That includes heavy-duty twisties in the Colorado Rockies. I can't even tell that weight is there. If that's about the load you're carrying, you'll be absolutely fine.

Have fun.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
If you have anywhere near you that has stationary or portable scales(elevator,truck stop.....), Put the front wheel of the bike on the scales. Weigh w/load on and off and you sitting on the bike. That will answer how much weight difference there is.

·
Registered
19,382 Posts
I would email Tom Finch. He knows his stuff on trailer hitch weight

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you have anywhere near you that has stationary or portable scales(elevator,truck stop.....), Put the front wheel of the bike on the scales. Weigh w/load on and off and you sitting on the bike. That will answer how much weight difference there is.

so let me ask another question, what is the weight threshold for poor handling? in other words, how much can the front wheel weight decrease before things get dangerous?

i do not want the front wheel to slide out from under the bike if my rack is too heavy.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Took off on a trip one morning with a Pac iIt Rac on the back and it was obvious the front end was higher and very light on the road. I adjusted the rear suspension up and it felt normal again.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
so let me ask another question, what is the weight threshold for poor handling? in other words, how much can the front wheel weight decrease before things get dangerous?

i do not want the front wheel to slide out from under the bike if my rack is too heavy.
It's really not an issue to worry about. It's not uncommon to have a trailer with a 40 lb to 50 lb tongue weight and this is no different. The effect is not significent.

Jeff...

·
Registered
246 Posts
We rode about 1500 miles, 2 up with my home made hitch rack with a heavy bag bungied on. NO PROBLEMS. Even rode the "tail of the dragon" a couple of times. In case of rain,Take a heavy-weight garbage bag if you plan on carrying a clothing bag on back.
The little ice chest I carry on the rack only holds 12 cans plus ice, and never had a problem, 2 up.:cool:

·
Registered
728 Posts
Rack Weight

I just received my cooler rack yesterday and as others stated, 35 lbs was the recommended load limit. Tried it out today with a 5 gal container of water (which I think is 35 lbs) and rode a 10 mile stretch of twisties and never knew it was even back there. I too was concerned about upsetting the balance of having something way back there and so low that it would throw things out of wack. I guess as long as you don't go crazy and start draggin' the pegs and such, you'll be OK with anything 35 lbs or less. Any more weight above that and you might want to take 'er easy and pray alot. :yes1:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts